Can anybody explain this???

Movie Junkie

To give you a heads-up on part of my internet computer security, I have the output from my cable modem going into a four port Linksys router (not wireless). I have port one going to my older Dell computer and port two going to the computer I built. I have ZoneAlarm Pro on each of the computers. Both computers have networking disabled.

Prior to getting the router ZoneAlarm would stop all of the incoming probes. After the router was installed it gave me an additional "wall" and ZoneAlarm would log much fewer attempts...EXCEPT that about two weeks ago I went to a site I am sure many of us here have heard of (no, it's not this site nor is it the old DVDD site). Below you will find a picture of what got by the router and was stopped by ZoneAlarm in a very brief period of time. I edited out the location. Anyone have any idea as to why they were able to get by the router?

editedpg0.jpg

You've obviously sent a request via your browser to view this website and the requester above is telling you that there's a communication problem between you and the website. Something like this:

1. You send a request to view a page

2. The website acknowledges your request and attempts to send what you asked for

3. Your firewall responds to something in its configuration to block part or all of that request

4. The website continues trying to satisfy your request by re-sending the data you initially asked for

5. see step 3

6. see step 4

etc etc ad nauseum

Honestly, I don't think this is anything to worry about.

You've obviously sent a request via your browser to view this website and the requester above is telling you that there's a communication problem between you and the website. Something like this:

1. You send a request to view a page

2. The website acknowledges your request and attempts to send what you asked for

3. Your firewall responds to something in its configuration to block part or all of that request

4. The website continues trying to satisfy your request by re-sending the data you initially asked for

5. see step 3

6. see step 4

etc etc ad nauseum

Honestly, I don't think this is anything to worry about.

Thanks for explaining it to me. It does lead me to one other question. Since I don't remember requesting anything other than just going to the site is it possible that the attempts were to open a "pop-up" or something like that? Since I have them blocked that could explain why there were so many attempts.

That's a possibility. ZoneAlarm could also be blocking ads, cookies or javascript which the originating site might use and is most likely harmeless. It's important to note that your router allowed traffic from the website in question because you asked for it, not because the router is faulty. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.