formatting problems

sazziei

As LUK has said, why not just disable the prompts if you don't like them ?!

The great thing about IB is that there are lots of options which, although being a bit daunting to the newbie, allow you to get IB working how you like :)

The extra information comes is very useful when trying to solve problems that people have with IB, with the added bonus of allowing the end-user to see exactly whats going on (something I personally like).

I've found LUK to be very receptive to new ideas if they are deemed useful. Don't forget that IB is not a commercial product (although it's looking more like one with the new V2).

This forum gives people access to knowledgeable users (although that's sometimes debatable ;) ), along with LUK himself, who are happy to help people with any questions they might have.

Edited by Defenestration

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Defenestration - Ifcrule1972 - Blutach and Lightning UK,

All your replys's have been a great help to clear the +RW format procedure in coop with IB.

Not really. It's a bit different.

I'm not what you call a newbie in the dig world, but it is amazing to see how people react on a post, like beeing offended in person and at the same time do not add anything to the discussion/questions.

I do understand all the functions in the settings, no university degree required for this.

I had the pleasure speaking to Lightning before about burning +DL and the layer break. ImgBurn still Is not burning a +DL as I would like to. Yes I know, the drive burns the disc and not IB, but IB provides the commands for the drive. OK for you Lightning?

Since I use ordinary progs and a standard burner DVD-drive(LG), a standard Winxp pro sp2, AMD 939, 2gb mem, sufficient HD mem and some other progs to make contact with others, it is not clear to me why this small prog(IB) acts different as to DVDDec, for +RW yes as Lightning explains. I burn my discs with IB in the same way as I did with DVDDec.

Since Lightning has his own doubts, why shouldn't I have some? Yes Lightning, it is possible to burn an ISO on a DVD+DL and a +RW with Nero, no format with a new +RW. Only warning overwrite.

Pse, stop this discussion and thank you.

I look forward to version 2.

Happy burning,

It acts differently because I decided I wanted ImgBurn to fully format DVD+RW before any writing could be done and that a disc in 'limbo' format stutus was not acceptable.

Here's a list of possible status codes for DVD+RW and what DVD Dec + ImgBurn will do in each case:

'Formatted: No'

DVD Decrypter

Will prompt to format the disc.

ImgBurn

'Formatted: No (Started)'

DVD Decrypter

Will prompt to overwrite existing data if it determines it's not already blank.

ImgBurn

'Formatted: No (In Progress)' - Note: This one isn't very common.

DVD Decrypter

ImgBurn

'Formatted: Yes'

DVD Decrypter

ImgBurn

So really the only difference is the 'No (Started)' one. This is where a program started to format it and then it (or something else) terminated it - hence it's left in limbo.

I don't believe in starting a job and not finishing it. It's like building a house and not putting a roof on it.

ImgBurn is basically just making sure that roof is on before letting people move in.

May I then suggest that you go a write a burning program that you think users like and need?

Clearly, in your eyes, ImgBurn just ain't good enough. So, go away and some time we'll come and critique your product and let you know how it stacks up. OK?

In the meantime, please do not make out you are God and know what "people" want. That sickens me, quite frankly. All I know about what "people" want is that hundreds of thousands of people have decided (for themselves, strangely enough) that they like ImgBurn - that is a verifiable fact from the downloads. I truly don't like being told what's good for me.

Regards[/color]

Well said blu, and with a hell of a lot more diplomacy than I would have had.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.