Extremely long file names (including path) and files with semicolons in their names on the same disc

Chris123

I'm trying to burn a data DVD that contains some files with very long names (which are nested within long-named folders and subfolders to boot), and some files that contain a semicolon ( ; ) in their names as well.

ISO9660:1999 works fine for the long names, but turns the semicolon into an underscore.

UDF allows the semicolon, but truncates the long names.

Combining the two had the same effect as using UDF alone.

Is there some way to burn such a compilation as it appears on the harddrive, or must I change the file names?

Thanks!

By the way, upon loading, the ImgBurn log gives this error: "Duplex Secure's SPTD driver can have a detrimental effect on drive performance."

Not sure what it means, searched for it but got nothing.

Edited by Chris123

I'm trying to burn a data DVD that contains some files with very long names (which are nested within long-named folders and subfolders to boot), and some files that contain a semicolon (;) in their names as well.

I'm not sure, but I think what you might need is "Rockridge extensions" support in the built disc image ... in which case you're out of luck in using ImgBurn - it doesn't currently offer Rockridge support :

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=13611&st=0&p=112142&hl=rockridge :(

By the way, upon loading, the ImgBurn log gives this error: "Duplex Secure's SPTD driver can have a detrimental effect on drive performance."

Not sure what it means, searched for it but got nothing.

[cough] ...

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=16646

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=11238

I'm not sure, but I think what you might need is "Rockridge extensions" support in the built disc image ... in which case you're out of luck in using ImgBurn - it doesn't currently offer Rockridge support :

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=13611&st=0&p=112142&hl=rockridge :(

Thanks. Read about this extension a little, and I have a feeling it too will transform the semicolons to underscores. I think I simply won't use semicolons then, and burn using ISO9660:1999, as the length of the file names is more important to me.

Problem is, I've just found out that you can't search for a semicolon in a file's name using Windows' search, so I'll have to locate them manually :S

Damn... I obviously used Google before posting, but for some reason the only result I got was this.

Now Google has fixed their bug, so I got the info I needed :P

Try UDF with Unicode disabled.

Thanks, this method worked, the very long file names weren't truncated. I'm now really happy that I decided not to use unicode characters in my file names, or else no solution would have been available. I used UDF 1.02 by the way since I assume it'll be supported on more systems, cause I would like Mac OS X machines to be able to read it.

Can you explain why it worked? My assumption is that when allowing unicode, some bytes are reserved for the support of the unicode characters, but why would it truncate standard English-only file names?

Also, is that a standard feature? I looked in Nero that I have installed (Nero 7), and no such option exists there. They do have a selection for "UDF partition type", which ImgBurn lacks, but I don't know what it's used for.

There's only so much room for a name in a file system descriptor.

If you enable Unicode support, each character takes up 2 bytes rather than 1, thus halving the number of characters you can store.

I don't know what that option would be in other apps, I only know what it is in mine :)

There's only so much room for a name in a file system descriptor.

If you enable Unicode support, each character takes up 2 bytes rather than 1, thus halving the number of characters you can store.

That's what I assumed. However, I don't understand why a "normal" English character would take up 2 bytes even when unicode is enabled, it seems illogical.

I don't know what that option would be in other apps, I only know what it is in mine :)

I guess what I meant was to ask if this is a standard UDF feature, and to verify if it lowers the compatibility of the DVD or not. I didn't see the "use with care" warning in the ImgBurn guide (that Level X Joliet has, for example).

And, also, since ImgBurn doesn't have the partition type selection, what type does it use?

Because it's all or nothing. The 2nd byte just gets set to 0.

Unicode can be enabled / disabled by simply setting a flag (1 bit) in 1 byte within a 'dstring' and it's part of the UDF spec.

It uses whatever type is used on standard DVD Video / Blu-ray Video discs. Sorry, I can't remember the types off the top of my head to then tell you it's a certain one.

Because it's all or nothing. The 2nd byte just gets set to 0.

Unicode can be enabled / disabled by simply setting a flag (1 bit) in 1 byte within a 'dstring' and it's part of the UDF spec.

It uses whatever type is used on standard DVD Video / Blu-ray Video discs. Sorry, I can't remember the types off the top of my head to then tell you it's a certain one.

Thanks for the info. I'll go ahead and use it then, I think it'll be fine (even though I can't test MacOS X right now).

I read about the partition types here, seems that each of the three types was meant for a different type of burning media...

Always have to close in ImgBurn.

Thanks Cynthia. But I did see some Close\finalize options which suggested that this can be done manually as opposed to automatically, so I assume they're only meant for burns that failed in the middle and discs with open sessions that were authored in a program that does support multi-session? Didn't see a specific explanation in your guide.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.