Device not ready (Incompatible medium Installed

DVDer

I have been using the program and not having any problems and all of the sudden it will not work and it says

Device not ready ( Incompatible medium Installed)

I have not done anything different and using the same DVD-R that I have every time. Can anyone help me out with this.

Thank you

Nothing we can do really I'm afraid.

If the drive won't initialise the media then you're stuck.

Although you say you're using the same media as always, did you just switch to a new spindle? Even same brand/style/look discs can have different dye types and it's the dye that's important, not whose name is stamped on them.

So the normal problem solving methods apply here:

1. Update your drives firmware

2. Try different discs (with different 'better' dye) - i.e. MCC (verbatim) or Taiyo Yuden.

3. Clean drive's laser

4. Get new drive

• 4 months later...

This just happened to me with discs i use a lot and i already just burned two beforehand. The difference with this one wss that it was a single 4Gb file I was burning so it went as iso/udf. I think there is a bug somewhere..

Device not ready ( Incompatible medium Installed)
This just happened to me with discs i use a lot and i already just burned two beforehand. The difference with this one wss that it was a single 4Gb file I was burning so it went as iso/udf. I think there is a bug somewhere..

Incompatable medium installed means exactly what it says im afraid. the dvd drive does not recognise the media . its NOT a bug , its your drive cant see the media ( disc) youve put in it.

regardless of wether it was a single 4gb file or not, the dvd drive decided it couldnt see/didnt like the discs before it got as far as trying to write anything. if ImgBurn cant see a drive with a suitable disc, it wont do any more of the events in the burning chain .

refer back to LIGHTNING_UK's post above and follow the process of elimination . usually its because youve found some faulty discs in the batch/spindle of discs you have , hence we only recomend genuine Verbatim or Taiyo yuden discs ( not all discs on the market do what it says on the case :thumbup:

once you get past the "Incompatible medium Installed" message , copy and paste the info from the log file into here for us to see

Gim,

Let me explain how things work....

1. ImgBurn issues a 'Test Unit Ready' command to the drive.

2. Drive responds 'Ready', or it it returns 'Not Ready' and gives and error code.

3a. If drive is 'Ready', ImgBurn goes ahead and tries to initialise the discs.

3b. If drive is 'Not Ready' ImgBurn puts 'Device Not Ready ([insert english translation of error code here])' in the status bar.

There is no room for error, either the drive says it's ready or it says it's not ready.

If it says it's not ready, NO software can do anything about it or access the media.

So your drive is having problems initialising the media, it's nothing at all to do with ImgBurn, it's simply reporting the error.

Eject the disc and reinsert it, it might work properly the second time around.

AAAh ok thank you so much for such a fast response and erm...Lightning UK I love your software mate :)

Though I wish you still did DVD Decrypter but I am sure that's not the first time you've heard that so ignore that comment ;)

I suppose it could just be a bad disc. I am going to try a few different things, including using imgburn to try again. Might also try nero or some other program.

I recentely installed (against my better judgement!) ashampoo burning studio 2007 as it was a full freebie on a magazine cover.

Every disc I burned in it failed its own verification. yet I then went to imgburn and then nero and both burned well as usual.

Well I uninstalled it earlier today.

Now I get this problem for the first time. coincidence?

Probably as it is a hardware issue it seems.

Mind you I don't think I have even rebooted since that uninstall which is most likely not the best way of going about things.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers.

Gim,

2. Drive responds 'Ready', or it it returns 'Not Ready' and gives and error code.

3b. If drive is 'Not Ready' ImgBurn puts 'Device Not Ready ([insert english translation of error code here])' in the status bar.

There is no room for error, either the drive says it's ready or it says it's not ready.

If it says it's not ready, NO software can do anything about it or access the media.

So your drive is having problems initialising the media, it's nothing at all to do with ImgBurn, it's simply reporting the error.

To mess with that answer...

I have recently developed a problem where Dvd Decrypter (and Imgburn - tho' I still prefer DD) will write a disk, eject it and THEN throw up the "Incompatible media" error. When Decrypter does it, I eject the disk and swap it to another drive and verify it with IB, the only time one failed to verify is when some "dumbass" (yeah, me!) tried to verify using the wrong image.

How can the medium be valid for writing but incompatible for reading and yet readable in a dvdrom (surely a lesser laser!?!)?

Thoughts?

Edited by BossC

Hmm I don't have the logfile any more but in my original complaint/post I posted it and it was verbatim media so erm...that seems to be recommended all over here?

Anyway it happened once more then I used nero and it worked ok.

I just used imgburn to do a simple iso burn and it worked great as usual though! :)

All burns in ImgBurn use the exact same burning code. To say build mode didn't work but then write mode is fine, it's just total fluke.

The errors come from the drive (as mentioned earlier), not the program. The program just displays them.

Nero might be using the 'Incremental' write type rather than DAO/SAO. If your burner prefers that, change the 'Write Type' option in ImgBurn's settings.

• 3 weeks later...
Gim,

I have recently developed a problem where Dvd Decrypter (and Imgburn - tho' I still prefer DD) will write a disk, eject it and THEN throw up the "Incompatible media" error. When Decrypter does it, I eject the disk and swap it to another drive and verify it with IB, the only time one failed to verify is when some "dumbass" (yeah, me!) tried to verify using the wrong image.

How can the medium be valid for writing but incompatible for reading and yet readable in a dvdrom (surely a lesser laser!?!)?

Thoughts?

I was a bit p*ssed off by the glib "crap media" responses and went away to carry on writing my discs without your "help" since then, I am using the same media and am getting the same error within a particular spindle. I am still confused how the writer can fail to read a disc it has written, which is then verified by the same program in a different drive and plays in any standalone machine? I never had this prob. before IB was installed but like the separate Verify option and Build.

Any HELPFUL thoughts?

I was a bit p*ssed off by the glib "crap media" responses and went away to carry on writing my discs without your "help" since then, I am using the same media and am getting the same error within a particular spindle. I am still confused how the writer can fail to read a disc it has written, which is then verified by the same program in a different drive and plays in any standalone machine? I never had this prob. before IB was installed but like the separate Verify option and Build.

Any HELPFUL thoughts?

I'm a bit p*ssed off by what you've said.

Telling you that crap media can cause the problem is being helpful.

Most of the people that come here for help listen to what is being said and most of the time the problem is resolved by the regulars here. Why is it that there are always a few people who come here for help and then they dismiss the answers without trying them? To those people I say;

IF YOU KNOW SO MUCH WHY DID YOU COME HERE TO GET YOUR PROBLEM FIXED? WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST FIGURE IT OUT YOURSELF???

The regulars here aren't just pulling answers out of their burro.gif They've been doing this long enough to be able to help MANY people. Please remember that no one here has any obligation to help anybody. They are doing it because they genuinely want to help. None of them get anything back except the satisfaction of being able to help somebody solve thier problem.

You want a HELPFUL thought so here it is;

If you can work with being able to accept the answers, and try them, then great. All of us here are willing to help you. If you just want to complain that you didn't get the answer that you expected to get, then please go away. That will leave more time for the people that really want, and appreciate the help they are getting.

Edited by Movie Junkie

Hmm I don't have the logfile any more but in my original complaint/post I posted it and it was verbatim media so erm...that seems to be recommended all over here?

Mmm, other than this, I don't see anywhere where you mention they were Verbs with MCC dye.

Now, just because they are verbs, doesn't mean they'll work every time with every burner, however they have a much better chance in most cases.

If your drive for some reason doesn't like them (this can happen) try some other good quality media such as TY's, even changing from -R to +R in verbs with MCC dye could do the trick for you.

• 1 month later...

how do you do this? i wanna know, i want to replicate it. you have special settings?

when you burn the dvd's, they do play perfectly well in a set top unit right? you only get the error on a computer right?

i have 4 dvd's here with the exact same error, but all 4 play perfectly on a dvd player / tv

• 3 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I'll like to give a more definitive explaination to this phenomenon based upon my personal experience.

This is not a software issue. This is more of a media/burner/laser issue. If your leadins/leadouts did not get burnt perfectly, the drive wont be able to recoginize the media after re-insertion, hence the sense key code (Sense Code 02, extended code 23000). Your burner may be near MTBF? The laser head got dirtied somehow? The media is not that good? Maybe a combination of these? Whatever the case, most prolly the leadin phase did not take. The best you can do is a) start saving for a new burner if it's already long in the tooth, or, B) clean yr laser to 'tip-top' condition. If this still dont work, and subsequent media are also affected, junk the remainder of yr unburnt DVDRs - exchange them for a different batch/brand.

For poor media, this usually happens with OEM'd versions for a particular MID. You know that most cheap OEMs are actually factory rejects, dont you? Every factory grade their yields on a batch-to-batch basis, using a 'number of defects per quantity' calculation. There are various forms of media defects and they affect the final grading of the media. I can write a whole article on this, but I'll just stop here.

How to read these back? Most good/branded set top boxes usually have slightly higher laser intensity. They will read them like normal, else, you'll get the 'No Disc' display message. Same goes for DVD-ROM drives, better luck here, but most DVD burners wont grok it. I havent had any success with a CDRW/DVD combo altho I only tried on a few.

Why do this only happen to one/some and not all yr batch of media? Your batch of media may be from a batch that is on the 'borderline' of an 'okay grade'. Meaning, there are going to be defects such as this, but the chance is v v low. Getting it is like striking the Lottery. Yippie!!!

So, when the Regulars here said "crap media", pls take them seriously.

And, does this happen only with ImgBurn? No. Nero Reloaded/Ultra also gets this. Particular burners? Nope. From Pioneer A10 & A11, NECs (8x), Samsungs (8-16x) & LiteOns (8x), they all get it, but the Pioneer got it least of all for one particular batch that I used. One brand new NEC (fr Dell) gave 4 out of 4 duds while the Pioneer did not encounter any after 20 burns - all played back ok with Philips & Pioneer set top boxes.

Anyone with a more definitive explaination for this, I'd really like to know. I have abt 50 pcs of 'duds' lying around this year alone, and I have 2 half used spindles waiting to be returned/exchanged.

HTH,

XEQ.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.