Speed Erase

Zumfra

Hello

I just saw the Topic about Fast Erase.

I have the same Problem and can't understand the Format setting, because I can't find it.

Everytime, I have to erase the Discs with an other software and then to write with ImgBurn.

Can someone tell me how I change the erase speed setting (please simply "click there or there" - or better with Screenshots -, no theorie).

Many Thanks

Zumfra

PS: I erased DVD more than 50 times with Speed Erase and they are still good

ImgBurn defaults to formatting discs properly. That's to say, it gets them to/leaves them in the state where the 'Formatted' status in the disc info text on the right says 'Yes' rather than anything else.

If another app messes that status up, ImgBurn will start from scratch again and do a proper full format.

It's 110% pointless to quick erase a DVD+RW - mainly because no such feature actually exists. All it's doing is normal burning but writing zeroes to the first few hundred sectors (just enough to wipe out the file system) instead of real data.

If you're going to be writing to those sectors anyway with real data, what's the point?!

The options to do with formatting are on the 'Write' tab in the Settings (accessed via the Tools menu).

Based on what I said in my previous post, doesn't the 'Prefer Properly Formatted Discs' one jump out at you?!

Turning it off is just a workaround for discs that have been 'messed with' by other 'bad' apps. If you format the disc properly once, you shouldn't ever have to do it again. ImgBurn will just overwrite any existing data without the need to perform any sort of erase/format.

Please forgive that I'm french, work in Germany and write in English.

I never heard before about format a DVD. I thought it was just "erasing".

I need the erasing (formating toll) only for Films I recorded on the TV. Quality is not very important.

If the Film is good and I want to keep it, I burn it on a definitiv DVD, and then format/erasing doesn't matter.

If I understand you, I unchecked all 3 "prefer format" to have the maximum erasing speed..

It's right?

Sorry, your written English is so good that I didn't notice/think you might not be. I apologise.

In ImgBurn, you have Quick and Full erase options. Quick will always be quick - normally a few seconds.

Don't worry about format Vs erase, I use them to mean the same thing most of the time :)

Technically, the program issues a 'FORMAT' command to the drive - but I try and call it 'Erase' because that usually means more to an average user.

The speed doesn't change, that comes from the drive itself and will be done at the fastest speed it supports on the media.

You haven't actually said, but I assume you're using DVD+RW discs yeah (rather than DVD-RW). The 'properly' bit I've mentioned previously just instructs the program to wait until the drive reports the 'FORMAT' command has totally finished being processed (both foreground and background stages). It is possible to jump out of the format process at an earlier stage (after the foreground part) and begin writing immediately but that leaves the 'Formatted' status of the disc in limbo and I chose not to do that by default. I like things to be done properly.

The top 2 of those 3 options are really just for BD-RE discs. You shouldn't worry about changing them if you're just using DVD media - again, you haven't really said what you're doing.

Thanks for your comprehension!

You write:

In ImgBurn, you have Quick and Full erase options. Quick will always be quick - normally a few seconds.

but the Problem is that I just not find this Options in the Settings.

It was the reason because I sent you the Screenshot.

I tried to burn with the three Format options unchecked, Imgburm didn't erase and direkt burned the new Files.

The DVD works correctly. Super!

Many Thanks again

Zumfra

The program knows when it needs to format/erase a disc though so it'll do it automatically when you try and burn something.

If you want to do it manually, the 'Erase Quick/Full' options are in the Tools -> Drive menu. (Quick and Full is not a setting you toggle)

Or, right click the drive selection drop down box.

Or, click the little 'Erase' button that's in the 'Destination' box when you're in Write/Build (Device)/Discovery mode.

I'm so sorry (but maybe so silly) but I don't have any Drive Menu (please see my Screenshot). :blush:

I didn't find it also in Cynthia's wonderfull Settings Description. :'( :'(

The only place where I find full and quick erase is in the "Sound Options Menu". :ermm:

But the Right click tip on the Device is cool. :)

And I don't also find "the little 'Erase' button that's in the 'Destination' box when you're in Write/Build (Device)/Discovery mode."

Maybe I need glasses.. :) :) :)

Your screenshot shows the Settings, I'm not talking about Settings.

Just click 'Tools' in the menu at the top and you'll see 'Drive' on there.

The Erase button is to the left of the checkbox that says 'Test Mode'. It's a picture of a disc and an eraser (or rubber as we like to call them over here).

OK! Thanks!

I was really very silly and I need very big Glasses.

I think the reason is that I looked for a setting for all Burn processes and not just for once.

But I can use it like that.

Many Thanks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.