What happened with ImgBurn and the forum?

Bip-bip

Hello!

I use ImgBurn for a couple of years, but started to have more and more problems these days.

As for this forum:

You need to pass over uncountable obstacles to get here (accept Terms and conditions, try to read illegible Captcha, click on the activation link etc.)

Then, if you try to see your own Profile you get this error message:

"An Error Occurred

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

[#10245] You are not permitted to view member profiles."

As for the program, it is continously improved, but it gets more and more complex and hard to use.

I, for example, would like to make a single/double layer DVD from an .avi/.wmv/.mp4 etc. file (including subtitles), and watch it on a desktop DVD-player.

Well, it is impossible to do this. I remember of being able to do this sometime in the past, but now I cannot. Maybe I've got older and blunter, who knows...

I see the same process of overcomplication, overcomplexity as with other programs. The common experience is that users turn away from such software and choose simpler and more user-friendly programs. See for example the story of Microsoft Internet Explorer. It's a great browser, but more and more people prefer Google Chrome instead. Why? Because it's smaller, simpler and easier to use.

Just look at the simplicity of Google Search, for example.

I know it's not easy to make user-friendly applications, but there are a few basic principles that must be followed. I will tell you one trivial example: the use of wizards. Microsoft needed more than 10 years to discover the power of wizards. Maybe ImgBurn is in the same situation and we'll get a great application in 2021. I hope the best.

Thanks for reading this!

Edited by Bip-bip

The author has stated several times that ImgBurn is for experienced users, even if there are several checks to make sure that not the most basic newbie errors are carried out, due to wrong settings applied.

ImgBurn is a burning tool, not a converting tool. DVD Flick (free) can be used for such tasks and it can also burn using ImgBurn.

Hello!

I use ImgBurn for a couple of years, but started to have more and more problems these days.

As for this forum:

You need to pass over uncountable obstacles to get here (accept Terms and conditions, try to read illegible Captcha, click on the activation link etc.)

Then, if you try to see your own Profile you get this error message:

"An Error Occurred

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

[#10245] You are not permitted to view member profiles."

Dude...you haven't signed up to any forums lately have you. This is ALL commonplace and necessary these days with all the bots trying to create shadow accounts and post ad spam, among other nasties aimed at these places.

As for the profile error(s), I got them also but using the links in the upper right at your profile sign in worked. Small glitches can be common, I Admin 3 other IPB tech forums and stuff happens sometimes. Things like that need to be pointed out to a board Mod so it can be looked into.

As for the program, it is continously improved, but it gets more and more complex and hard to use.

In your opinion maybe... B)

Maybe I've got older and blunter, who knows...

Me too, sometimes too much on both counts.

But comparing this program to IE, or saying that it needs MS style wizards because it's become overly complex, is off base IMO. Most common tasks are still 1 or 2 clicks away.

This area of AV authoring is growing in complexity weekly and IBurn has to stay in step, so do we. I'm not new to DVD burns, bootdisk burns or any of that, but I'm a total n00b at Bray and the tools needed to encode certain "files" (political correctness there) from .mkv to bluray. I've been learning how to do this for weeks before I even tried my first attempt. 26 hours later and my remux completed...yow.

I'm realizing just how far behind I am in a few short years, but instead of blaming the author of a tool for staying current with the tech his tool is aimed at is not the answer. Learning to use that tool to it's full effectiveness is...

Wishing you better days Bip-bip

Dave

Dude...you haven't signed up to any forums lately have you. This is ALL commonplace and necessary these days ....Wishing you better days Bip-bip

Dave

Look...dude, when I first started programming in Fortran back in 1983 you most probably weren't even born, and I am spending around 8 hours a day working on my PC and wandering on the internet. It's true that I rarely write programming code now (I use C++ by the way), but I know very well what a good application is all about.

As for ImgBurn I have just unistalled it, to see what happens, and DVF Flick cannot burn DVDs anymore. Bang!

This is tragic, because Windows Vista is able to burn DVDs (Windows Media Center? does it sound familiar to you?), but now it's no more doing the job. This means that ImgBurn changed some system settings in Windows (registry entries and so on) and didn't restore them after uninstall and computer restart. This is sad, very sad. It's a pitty because I did recommend this product to other people, but won't do that anymore.

ImgBurn doesn't touch anything to do with native OS burning.

Yes, I think you are right. Windows Media Center seems to work now. DVD Flick was probably set to use ImgBurn, this is why isn't working anymore.

------

I have just checked this, but I don't see any setting in DVD Flick where I could choose the burner.

Edited by Bip-bip

Doesn't DVD Flick only ever use ImgBurn for burning?

It has its own local copy (i.e. in the 'DVD Flick' program folder) - which is now very out of date.

If you remove that, you need to find another tool capable of burning DVD Video discs properly and burn everything manually.

Doesn't DVD Flick only ever use ImgBurn for burning?

I've got it to the end: DVD Flick uses ImgBurng as external DVD burning utility: http://www.dvdflick.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4234

In other words, ImgBurn (not necessarily the latest version) is bundled in DVD Flick.

To be very clear: I love ImgBurn (even the funny comments in the status bar, or mainly those), but I think that there is need for a radical uplift, a change of concept (targeting user-friendliness).

Edited by Bip-bip

Have you compared the two logs? The one from the Microsoft Vista burning program and ImgBurn? That should give you a clue to where in the burning profess the issue is.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.