Browse for a Source File .... not responding in Windows 7 64-bit

brainiac

I'm trying to open 2 instances of the program Imgburn.

After selecting "Write Image file to disc", then choosing the "Browse for a Source File" using the icon or from the menu,

the 2nd instance of the program would just hang up, program not responding.

Is this an issue with Windows 7 64-bit Professional?

But I tried reinstalling Windows 7 already and still having same problem.

Please advice what else can I do.

Thank you.

If I read you correctly, I had a similar problem, but it was on Windows 7 Home 32 bit and I only had 1 instance of ImgBurn running. I would get a Not Responding when trying to load an image for Write. If I close off the task in Task Manager and reload ImgBurn, it responds normally. If I restart Windows, the problem repeats itself. I mentioned this instance to LUK and he said it was just a vanilla Windows dialog box, so, it's beyond ImgBurn's focus once it calls the dialog.

Yes, even if I restart Windows, there is possibility that problem will repeat itself, being unable to browse for a source file in the Write mode. The program would hang even if I choose from the top menu. What I did, in order to avoid the program not responding, I have to go first into Read mode, click once the browse icon, then switch back to Write mode, before I can properly browse for a file without the program hang up.

I have two PCs both using Windows 7 64-bit Pro, the older PC using Windows 7 from last year does not have this issue, but only the recently bought PC has the problem.

Edited by brainiac

Forgot to mention what LUK told me was most likely the cause of my problem. He said it was a shell extension probably preventing the dialog from opening. Which makes sense. I've narrowed it down to two candidates: first, ZoneAlarm, as I seem to recall having context menu issues in the past. I know on XP and Vista running on an older machine I had purchased in 2004, the context menu took forever to load if the AV version's scan on opening option was enabled for ZA 9. ZA 8 didn't do that. I also target Alcohol 52%. I've had a problem on this new PC I got in 2009 with its context menus not appearing when I right click on a supported image file. If it doesn't show up, I just right click again and when the context menu appears for the 2nd time, the item to Mount the image appears. Go figure. :)

Also, it appears that the problem I was having apparently resolved itself after I installed Windows 7 Service Pack 1. I tested it just now after knowing I had tried to open a file in Read mode since I restarted my PC to update to SP 1. And, the Open dialog did so without locking up on me like it had before.

I can't say for sure if installing SP 1 fixed it, but, you may want to give it a try and test to see if you still have it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.