Couple of issues with building data discs

AimHere

Hi,

When using Build mode to make data DVD-Rs, I often burn several in a row with different contents. I'll burn a disc (with verify), then go back into the disc layout editor (using Advanced mode here), and delete everything from the layout in the right-hand panel. Since the last burn was successful, I also delete the actual files off my hard drive in the left-hand panel. Then I select and drag a bunch of NEW files into the right-hand panel, close the editor window, change the disc label, and click the Build button to burn it. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Sometimes, though, after clicking "Build", the log window then shows one or more warning messages "Skipping nonexistent file/folder"... for the files that I just deleted from the layout editor! If I cancel the burn, and go back into the layout editor, the files I deleted ARE still gone from BOTH panels, as they should be. ImgBurn shouldn't even be trying to read them anymore, as they are not included in the layout. So why is the app complaining that they are missing? It doesn't do this all the time, but when it happens, it always leaves me wondering whether I selected the correct batch of files for the current disc...

The other issue also has to do with the Advanced layout editor. Sometimes I'll select a batch of files on my hard disk (in the left-hand panel), drag them over to the right-hand (layout) panel, drop them... and nothing happens. ImgBurn makes no attempt to add them to the layout. So I have to do it again. I have no idea why it doesn't register the drag-and-drop operation.

Running version 2.5.5.0 on Windows 7 64-bit.

Aimhere

Can you post a log showing the "Skipping nonexistent file/folder" message please?

That specific message only ever gets written to the log file when adding something to the layout. It does not get written to the log when building (or calculating).

I'll try. Haven't seen it the last few build-and-burn sessions.

I'm noticing general wackiness with drag-and-drop in the advanced layout editor. I might have, say, six files selected on the left side, but when I try to click on them and drag them to the right side, I often will get only the last file I selected (prior to the click-and-drag), or sometimes all BUT the last file I selected. All the files I want remain selected on the left, but the click-and-drag does not pick them all up!

Also, simply selecting multiple files on in the editor is often a problem. I like to use multi-select (Shift-clicking, CTRL-clicking) when selecting multiple files. But ImgBurn sometimes fails to register a CTRL-click. Say I have five files already selected, then point at another and CTRL-click. The light-blue bar that tracks the mouse pointer will flash as though I've clicked, but the file is not actually selected. I've discovered that this happens mostly when I QUICKLY move to point at a file and CTRL-click on it. It's like ImgBurn isn't able to track my mouse fast enough to keep up with me...

I don't seem to have these problems with Windows Explorer. Only ImgBurn's advanced editor window.

Running Windows 7 64-bit for what it's worth.

AimHere

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not the author of the control that handles the Explorer style bit in that window.

I kind of figured that was the case. It may look like Windows Explorer in some respects, but it doesn't behave quite like Explorer, as my drag-and-drop troubles seem to show. I think the problem is that the control is trying to read file properties (e.g. file types, metadata, generating thumbnails in the background, etc.) as I'm mousing around in it, leading to a general lack of responsiveness when clicking or click-and-dragging.

I've noticed it usually tries to include a thumbnail in the "stack" of files I'm dragging, and I think the generation of this thumbnail (from 700MB video files!) is slowing it down. If I select a number of files, point at them, and immediately try to click-and-drag them to the other panel, the control may only show a single file in the dragged stack, or fewer files than I've selected... but if I WAIT five seconds, THEN click-and-drag, it usually shows the correct number of files on the dragged stack.

If there were some way to disable this thumbnail generation, or the reading of file properties/metadata in general, it would probably reduce or eliminate the behavior I'm seeing.

Aimhere

If there were some way to disable this thumbnail generation...

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11738-thumbnail-previews-enable-disable.html

Okay, tried that... didn't help. Selecting multiple files in the Advanced Layout Editor using CTRL-clicking is still hit-or-miss, and more to the point, after selecting the files, I still have to hover my mouse over them for several seconds before clicking-and-dragging will grab all of them. (At least the "stack" no longer has a thumbnail after the change you suggested.) The whole file-explorer control just generally seems unresponsive no matter what I'm doing in it.

I have found a work-around... if I set ImgBurn to use the Standard layout editor instead of the Advanced one, I can use Windows Explorer to select the files, then drag-and-drop them onto the ImgBurn window to add them to the disc contents. Kind of clumsy to do it this way, but it works better than the Advanced layout editor.

I still wish the Advanced editor worked more reliably. I don't understand why it's being so unresponsive? If it matters, I have a brand-new PC with a Phenom II X4 955 (running at 3.6GHz), 4GB of DDR3-1333 RAM, and a GeForce GTX 460 1GB video card, all running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Aimhere

I found a solution!

If I go into the ImgBurn menu "Tools/Settings...", on the "Build" tab, page 2 is an option "Get Shell File Information", which is selected by default. I unchecked it, then tested the Advanced Layout editor again... and now it's instantly responsive! I can CTRL-click on files without it failing to register, and click-and-drag as fast as I want without pausing. It seems that the "shell file information" option is what really slows things down. I'll be using ImgBurn without it from now on (unless a more permanent fix is found).

Thanks for your time.

Aimhere

• 4 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.