More stuff.

Shamus_McFartfinger

I love computers. Adding to my recent computer woes (a dicky BIOS in one of my PCs which I still haven't got around to fixing and a server that keeps dropping off my network for reasons that I still can't figure out), comes the news that one of my printers has died (a Canon i565) and the other (a Canon i965) now refuses to print CD/DVD but still prints photos.

Not wanting to spend a fortune on a new printer I bought a Canon PixMar ip4200 which apparently prints disks and came with a manual which looks to have been translated from Japanese to Slovakian to Greek to English. Little did I realise when procuring my new toy that having a Masters Degree in foreign languages would be required to facilitate the assembly and installation of said printer.

It really is a miracle of modern science. It's as quiet and unassuming as a Panzer tank. (I almost shat when it started printing for the first time). Also, no USB cable was included even though it is if I've deciphered the manual correctly. Just running Ad-Aware atm to see what nasties have been installed besides the included software.

Nope. Straight out of the box this one and the installer is as dumb as a post. It correctly identified older versions of printing tools but overwrote the version of Acrobat Reader I have. Heap'o'crap. Ad-Aware is still running. Looks to be a clean install though. I'll attack the manual again shortly and see if I can print a disk or two.

Let me know how it works with DVD's Shamus, my Epson 200 shat the bed, doesn't recognize 3 inks, took it apart to try cleaning the heads, but fuck me, buying a replacement will be easier, and a Canon is the only other option. Nothing like a sealed unit to prevent repairs.

It's official. I don't like it - mainly because of the stupid way it works. For example:

With my i965, if I wanted to print a disk I'd set up the picture, throw a disk into the print tray and hit print. With this new fangled thing, you're not allowed to place the disk into the print tray until after you've told it to print. It then farts about for a good 90 seconds doing whatever it is that it does before another requester appears telling me to insert the print tray. To be fair, the print quality is stunning but I dislike having to "OK" 4 seperate requesters before it starts printing. (If I wasn't ready to print the fooking thing, I wouldn't have hit "print" in the first place).

I've always been a fan of Canon printers but this will be the last one I buy as it's let down badly by the amount of interaction required just to get the damed thing to do its job.

It's interesting what we come across. I will have to replace my optical mouse. After about, oh, what, 7 years for an entirely stupid reason. One of the rubber feet came off! :angry: So, it drags and breaks the "contact" of the light, resulting in jagging mouse movements. And, to think, it wasn't the laser as I expected to go out... but a damn, stupid carbon bond breakdown from a simple adhesive! :rolleyes:

Odd. Still, 7 years isn't a bad innings for a mouse. I still use the mouse I got with an old HP Pavillion (the nightmares are still with me as well). Just a normal mouse with a solitary testicle. I suppose mine is a good 6 or 7 years old as well.

Re: Your mouse with no balls - it may be almost time to retire it. :(

BTW: all this talk of mice has me thinking about *that* photo. You know the one. I can't help myself any longer. It's gotta be done.

mouse2.jpg

Actually, I have several brand new mice from various computers over the years that I could use. But, after I went optical, I never want to go back! :lol: The last time I had to clean a mouse nut or the contacts was to use a mouse on a computer at the library to browse the catalog. It wasn't working, so, I opened it up and sure enough, the contacts were filthy.

Actually, I have several brand new mice from various computers over the years that I could use. But, after I went optical, I never want to go back! :lol: The last time I had to clean a mouse nut or the contacts was to use a mouse on a computer at the library to browse the catalog. It wasn't working, so, I opened it up and sure enough, the contacts were filthy.

You like optical mice? Really? I've never been a fan of them myself but it all comes down to preference, I suppose. I'm guessing you'll have a long search ahead of you looking for a mouse that feels right. Not easy these days.

Oh, there will never be a mouse that fits my hand comfortably. Did you know part of me is 8 inches? My wrist! =)) No, I never fit comfortably in this word built for normals. For I am Ozymandius, king of men!

My preference for the optical mouse is because the standard mouse was NEVER made to be cleaned easily. Yet, it MUST be cleaned because of its very construction.

Decided to go for a wireless mouse since the cost difference was only about $5. While it does mean that I will have to replace batteries in the mouse, it is still easier than cleaning mice balls. :&

A few things got better, a few that were worse. The scroll wheel wasn't notched, so, I won't get any of those annoying not quite there clicks. :) And the screen rolls up and down back and forth quickly. With a smoothly scrolling wheel, that shouldn't happen. But, will probably break down sooner. ;) The Back and Forward buttons for web navigation are now on the left side, which is rather idiotic! Plus, they don't always seem to work. Back also seems to be the bottom button, which makes sense if you remember Up and Down swapping for Forward and Back.

I'd have done things differently, but, I usually would. My way is called better. :D

My son has a Rhodesian Ridgeback. I'll never be able to look it in the "eye" again! :D

Bloody friendly animals - more like a horse than a dog in size though.

Regards

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.