Gun Control

spinningwheel

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guns do not make you a killer. I think killing makes you a killer. You can kill someone with a baseball bat or a car, but no one is trying to ban you from driving to the ball game.

--Andy Rooney

Relax, Shamus. I meant nothing personal. I no longer have the article on Australia that was the source of the info. I'd like to be able to whip out (so to speak). I hope we're all friends here. I would also hope that even if you disagree with me and even if I am incorrect in this or that fact, that's no reason to assume bad motives on my part or any kind of malice against either the Brits or the Aussies. I'm both an Anglophile and an Australo-phile (if that's a word).

I could go hunting for the statistics on both Austrailia and the UK but since no one seems to want to accept statistics that diagree with their preconceived notions, what would be the point?

I'm not sure that living in a country makes one an expert on every aspect of that country. I certainly make no such claim about my own country, whose area and population are larger (the latter, far larger) than the UK and the Land Down Under put together.

The simple fact is that gun ownership and concealed carry keep people safe. They reduce crime. I'll say it again: 2,000,000 times a year Americans use firearms to defend themselves. I'm never going to accept having one of my loved ones raped and murdered to give someone else an abstract sense of safety. That's just common sense.

In Texas, where tens of thousands of concealed carry permits have been issued, only 150 permit-holders have been convicted of violent crimes.

And I never said that Britain (or Austrailia's) murder rates compare to ours. They don't. Both countries murder rates are, I believe, is in the low hundreds. There are roughly 20,000 murders a year in the US, about 11,000 from firearms. (We've discovered, in this country, that actually locking up violent criminals reduces crime. An amazing concept!)

What has gone up in the UK is the rate of violent crime overall--while it has declined in the US (except for last year, when it went up slightly; I have no problem with facts even when they are uncomfortable).

There is no "pro-gun" lobby. There are pro-self defense groups, the largest of which, the National Rifle Association, I happen to be a proud member.

Probably the Brits will remember when a number of tourists from the UK were murdered in Florida. Does anyone know why they were murdered? It wasn't a surge of Anglophobia. (Simon Cowell was still the unknown son of a millionaire real estate broker back then.)

The state of Florida has a concealed carry law (pass a background check and take a gun safety course and you can carry a concealed firearm). They also used to give dramatically different license plates to rental cars. The murders of tourists (not all of whom were British) occured because the thugs knew that people in rental cars were very unlikely to be carrying concealed firearms. So they struck the easiest targets. Why take a chance on jacking a Florida resident who might fill your ass with lead when there are these nice, unarmed tourists loaded with cash, passports and credit cards?

Oddly enough, when Florida eliminated the special license plates for rental cars, these tourists murders almost completely stopped.

If that doesn't convince you of the wisdom of the right to bear arms, perhaps this will.

The first in the string of school shootings (only in perceptions, shootings at schools go back a lot longer than the 1990s, unfortunately) of which Columbine was merely the most spectacular, occured in Pearl, Mississippi (I'll avoid the postal abbreviations as someone once requested...).

I can't remember the kid's name, but after he'd shot several of his schoolmates, the assistant principle of his high school ran out to his car and took his hunting shotgun from the trunk (boot?). He used the shotgun to disarm the kid and hold him until the Fuzz showed up. (Late, as usual.)

This A.P. faced Federal charges for having a firearm within 1000 yards (about 900m) of a school. Showing a rare burst of common sense, the US Attorney for that part of Mississippi decided not to charge the assistant principle. (Later, the Supreme Court, in an equally rare burst of common sense, throughout that stupid law.)

If that A.P. hadn't had his shotgun who knows how many kids and teachers that little punk would have wounded and killed?

Banning guns from schools merely makes schools safe targets for maniacs like the Columbine Duo.

The fact is, this is a violent society. Before anyone gets all puffed with a sense of superiority, remember that our talent for violence is the reason that this planet is not singing the Soviet national anthem or saluting portraits of Hitler whilst chanting Deutchland, Deutschland, uber alles!

After all, my family has shed blood to protect your countries. My great-grandfather in WWI and my my great-uncle in WWII--who took a bullet to the head and spent three week in a coma. One of my grandfathers fought in the Pacific to keep the Japanese from doing to Austrailia what they had done to a dozen other countries. My Dad's youngest sister spent many years in the Air Force serving in Britain (she retired 2 yrs ago after 26 yrs as a Lt. Col).

Unfortunately, Shamus, they are but the bare truth. People I've known who've been to Austrailia tell me that thugs simply walk into stores and steal what they like knowning that the shop owners are powerless to stop them.

I hope you?re joking as this sounds like the sort of garbage that a ten year old would regurgitate, not something I?d expect from an intelligent, mature adult with the ability to draw conclusions based on research. I live in Australia. Would I not be more qualified than your friends to have an opinion on this?

Secondly, in a single stroke you have painted all Australian towns and cities as equally dangerous which is ridiculous. You are comparing places like Cabramatta in Sydney (one of the most violent places in Australia) to the suburb in which I live in Brisbane (which is not). Would you say that Backwater, Arkansas is just as dangerous as Detroit because they are both in the USA? Even my airhead of a niece wouldn?t swallow that tripe.

Supporting the right to bear arms is nothing more than protecting the right to self defense.

2,000,000 times are a year Americans defend themselves with firearms, mostly handguns.

Ah yes. Instead of people beating the crap out each other to settle disputes, they shoot each other instead. A brilliant concept.
While the massacre at Dunblane was horrible, the banning of handguns was an even greater tragedy. Far more Britons have been victims of crime as a result. To repeat: Britain now has a higher rate of violent crime than the US (where violent crimes have been declining for the last 10 years).

Any supporting evidence to back this up?

I'm still convinced the guy is dead.

Regards

What could you possibly have against Moses? :huh:

Michael Moore is liar, something that's been proven beyond doubt. He has the veracity of Joseph Goebbels (whose techniques he emulates eagerly).

Both of his "documentaries" have been shredded for the bullshit Lib propaganda they are.

Checking, IMDb, he's still alive. He's 82 (two years older than my grandmother).

Alzheimer's terrifies me. It runs in my family. It's killed at least three members on the maternal side and my grandfather probably had the early stages b4 he died in a car accident in '86.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000032/

...the very publicized shooting and death of 6-year-old Kayla Rolland in her first grade classroom near Flint, Michigan, Moore's home town.

If memory serves, the kid that shot this poor girl was living in a Crack House with his pipe head father who left a gun laying in the bed the kid was sleeping in. The kid took the gun to school, unaware, like most kids his age, of the permanence of his actions, probably unaware it was a real gun.

I don't let my 6 yr old daugther play with my lighter and the can of gasoline in the garage for a reason.

Heston still gave a controversial speech despite the heightened sensitivity of the Denver and Littleton communities

Overall, a rather stunning example of wikipedia actually being fair to a conservative. Be still my beating heart.

"Sensitivity of the...communities"? What kind of mush-brained, Left-wing kook crap is that? Since when does some imaginary "sensitivity" override the right to self defense. Jesus H. Tap-Dancing Christ! I'm going to have to edit that nonsense out of that article. My God, no wonder the Islamofacsists think we don't have any balls!

(Nuthin' personal, of course, crule...)

Edited by Pain_Man

This A.P. faced Federal charges for having a firearm within 1000 yards (about 900m) of a school.

Hey Pain_Man, good to see your name back on the board. :thumbup:

Can you clarify how the above quote works as my girlfeind lives half a block from a school and they have numerous handguns and rifles in the house. Does this mean they are breaking a Fedreal Law? Or does it only relate to firearms in a public places? :unsure:

This A.P. faced Federal charges for having a firearm within 1000 yards (about 900m) of a school.

Hey Pain_Man, good to see your name back on the board. :thumbup:

Can you clarify how the above quote works as my girlfeind lives half a block from a school and they have numerous handguns and rifles in the house. Does this mean they are breaking a Fedreal Law? Or does it only relate to firearms in a public places? :unsure:

Thanks, 'rush.

There is, at present, no Federal law banning guns near schools (last time I checked). Congress tried to say it was a matter of "interstate commerce" but SCOTUS rejected that. (That's Supreme Court of the United States.) To spare a long explanation of the commerce clause, suffice it to say, SCOTUS determined that such a ban was beyond Congress' powers.

A number of states have similar laws. Mine, to my knowledge doesn't not.

I believe there are exemptions for homeowners (otherwise the laws would run up against the 2nd amendment; also most state constitutions have a right to bear arms clause).

To be sure, I'd contact a criminal lawyer. In most states, the local bar association has a program where lawyers sign up in a database and give a free telephone consultation. That way you get the advice you need without having to shell out $200 to $500 for an hours of the shyster's time. (And should one find one's self in trouble, one usually remembers the lawyer from whom one got the free advice.)

They should be able to set you straight on the particulars of your state's laws. If memory serves, don't you and your girlfriend live in VA? Sorry, Virginia? It's a very Republican state (tho' it does elect conservative Dem governors) and has concealed carry laws.

You can also check the NRA website. They used to have a page about such laws but I don't know if it's still up.

http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws/

Edited by Pain_Man

I could use some clarification too as I am always carrying a concealed weapon............... :whistling::whistling::whistling::lol: , and its always fully loaded............ :o:P

what would the crime be assault with a friendly weapon :lol:

Depends who he's pointing it at polo. :D

Regards

@spinner

a double trailer set up behind 1 semi trailer/tractor truck , roadtrain style. but of a fooker to park in walmart for the weekly shopping trip though

bdoublewc5.png lengths are for Australian rules

the kind of vehicle i have to use when i go on the pull for a couple of these delightfull nimble ladies after a night on the town

Looks like volvo's got himself... a CONVOY! Truckin' through the night!

Wouldn't the Bandit leap for freakin' joy if he could see these trucks. Imagine how much beer you could stuff in one of those!

@spinner

a double trailer set up behind 1 semi trailer/tractor truck , roadtrain style. but of a fooker to park in walmart for the weekly shopping trip though

bdoublewc5.png lengths are for Australian rules

the kind of vehicle i have to use when i go on the pull for a couple of these delightfull nimble ladies after a night on the town

Looks like volvo's got himself... a CONVOY! Truckin' through the night!

They'd work a lot better for skeet/trap shooting. julli-hunter.gif

A CMC gun would be a Triffid gun. :lol: Actually, CMC discs might make pretty good ammunition for a disc firing gun.
Edited by Pain_Man

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.