can't reply to topics?

tahrey

Hiya ... maybe I missed something in the board T+Cs or something :innocent: but at the moment for some reason I can make new topics, but not reply to any. Do things often get locked quickly round here, is it a new-user restriction, or it only that mods can reply?

I had various things I thought I could contribute on a few things, e.g.

* Burning mono audio files as stereo - don't even need audacity (ugh...), if it's a plain RIFF WAV at 44khz/16bit, you can load it in windows sound recorder (start->run->sndrec32->enter), convert to stereo in file->properties, and save back out. Probably a touch slow, but avoids having to try and get your head around the backwards way Audacity works.

(I'd otherwise recommend getting hold of an old copy of intuitive-yet-powerful Cool Edit, but I that's probably a piracy issue, a little less straightforward to find, and may not even work under Vista/Win7...)

* A query as to why we can put 16-char volume titles in ISO and 32 in Joliet when the standards only say 11 and 16 (which is what I stick to) and I don't think explorer can even display longer than that if it's not UDF.

* Personal account of Sony Accucore media (very good - occasional hiccups but it had otherwise become my default media choice til it became harder to source. 95% of the time, it works every time.)

* Recommendations on swap file handling and setup (make your boot partition as small as you can stand (short stroking, in the fastest part of the disk!) plus a few gigs leeway, install without swap, use something like Auslogics Defrag to get lots of consolidated free space, and shove it in there. Unless it's on an SSD, it's all about reducing seek times.

(and of course, use the rest of the disk for all your other data)

... course if it's just a time limit, next time I'm on I'll have to zap this or end up looking silly :rolleyes:

'New Members' can't reply to topics that aren't their own. It stops thread hijacking which annoys the hell out of me.

A query as to why we can put 16-char volume titles in ISO and 32 in Joliet when the standards only say 11 and 16 (which is what I stick to) and I don't think explorer can even display longer than that if it's not UDF.

You've got that round the wrong way.

The volume label field in the PVD (primary volume descriptor) has room for 32 bytes of data.

So where single byte characters are used (ISO9660), that's 32 characters.

Where double byte characters are used (Joliet), that's 16 characters.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.