I need some help with this

dbminter

I admit it. I'm at my end here. So, I'm asking for anyone's help here. :)

First off, how/what can I use to determine if a USB drive is running at high speed or not? I need something that can actually TEST this, not just fucking Windows saying so. Because, save for the two front ports, no matter WHAT port I'm using this USB external HD on, if I turn it off and back on, when Windows detects the drive, it claims I am connecting a hi-speed device to a low speed port. So, I need something to actually run a read test on that can tell me if it's actually running at hi-speed or not. IF there's even anything that can do this. At this point, I'm so tired of it all, I think I just need to do what I've always done. Since there never was a solution a guy like me can get, just to junk it and try to buy something else to replace it, I suppose.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SiSoft Sandra @ http://www.sisoftware.net/ can do benchmarking tests for USB devices.

Also, remember that hi-speed sometimes doesn't mean fast when referring to USB. Depending on who you talk to, Hi-speed can mean either USB1.1 (it's original name) or it can be USB2.0 (with other names like low-speed) made up for older components. Full-speed is also in the mix somewhere as another name for USB2.0.

Yeah, I know.

Normally, I wouldn't be worried about that, but, this is the first time this drive has started doing this. Making Windows say this, so, I'm a bit worried if it's the bridge or what. I swapped out the drive into another enclosure, and did not get the bitching. I also DIDN'T get it, for a while, AFTER putting it BACK in its normal enclosure. :rolleyes: The problem also disappeared for a while when I swapped out the USB cable, too. But, it came back. SHEESH!

in general look for the high speed certified logo hispeed_usb.gif

This as i have found out is not an absolute guarantee of High Speed as i bought a Topfield panther pvr with this Logo, and its a little faster than usb 1.1 and a dam disgrace IMO after displaying a certified logo.

you can check this link out to see if you can gleam any further info

http://www.usb.org/developers/usb20/press11_15.html

What i would say is connect your usb device to your back ports.

run Nero info tool and look at configuration tab, then look under enhanced pci to usb etc, EHCI or whatever version of usb2 is implemented into your mobo chipset. Your USB2 Device should be listed under there if not then your controller is usb1, the device is, the cable is.

Mine looks like this on a7v8x

Nero InfoTool 3.02

Interface Information

---------------------

Adapter 1

---------

Description : Primary IDE Channel

Driver

Description : system32\DRIVERS\atapi.sys

Company : Microsoft Corporation

Version : 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

Description : IDE/ATAPI Port Driver

Attached Devices

Description : Master: Maxtor 6B200P0

Type : Disk Drive

DMA : On

Description : Slave: BENQ DVD-ROM 16X

Type : CD-Rom Drive

Autorun : On

Adapter 2

---------

Description : Secondary IDE Channel

Driver

Attached Devices

Adapter 3

---------

Driver

Attached Devices

Description : Master: HDS722525VLSA80

Adapter 4

---------

Driver

Attached Devices

Description : Master: Maxtor 6B300S0

Adapter 5

---------

Driver

Attached Devices

Adapter 6

---------

Driver

Attached Devices

Description : Master: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-108

Description : Slave: WDC WD2500JB-22GVC0

Adapter 7

---------

Description : Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller

Driver

Description : system32\DRIVERS\usbehci.sys

Description : EHCI eUSB Miniport Driver

Attached Devices

Description : LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-1635S USB Device

Description : Generic USB Storage-CFC USB Device

Description : Generic USB Storage-SDC USB Device

Description : Generic USB Storage-SMC USB Device

Description : Generic USB Storage-MSC USB Device

try hd tach for testing speed of usb etc maybe try the flash beta

http://www.simplisoftware.com/Public/index...?request=HdTach

I used to use another program for this, cannot remember what is was, sure it was a japanese program and it's killing me cos i want to remember so i can use it, downloaded it a few times, but got too many Tb/s to look thru to find it.

[Edit] http://www.everythingusb.com/usb2/faq.htm

Actually not that i found anything untowards but the driver scan maybe a little biased, take what it tells you witha pinch of salt, do not pay to download drivers. (that aint aimed at you Db) just anyone else reading this that maybe new to internet etc.

Infact removed link

Edited by dontasciime

Okay, the Verify hasn't completed yet, because it says it will take another hour and 20 minutes to finish... after running for 15 minutes... where it said it still needed an hour and 20 minutes.

Device: [0:0:0] HDS72251 6VLAT20 (R:) (USB)

Device Sectors: 321,672,960

Device Size: 164,696,555,520 bytes

After 28,xxx,xxx,xxx bytes, the I/O rate is at 28,3xx KB/s

In terms of practical application, though I never let the jobs finish, Windows said it was going to take 50 minutes to copy an approximate 4 GB MDS/MDF file from the USB drive to the SATA drive.

ImgBurn said it was going to need the same amount of time to burn the image to a 4x DVD+RW. However, ImgBurn was never able to get beyond a little over 2x because of the USB drive being in use. The access light would be on for a while, go out, and the write rate would drop to 0.0x while ImgBurn was waiting for the drive to stop thrashing.

Now, all this seems to me to be a little slow. However, I ever actually benchmarked any of this before. Should these values be of concern to me about this drive?

Ran HDDT on the other USB 2.0 drive (Well, at least the USB cable connected to it says USB 2.0 on it. :) It's a weird beast, has a large alligator type clip on the end that connects to the drive.) and though it, too, did not finish its read, it was at 31,6xx KB/s I/O Rate.

BTW, I am guessing this is what is meant by benchmarking the drive with HDDT? Running a Verify on it and checking the I/O Rate?

So, according to this, am I to infer that the USB in this machine actually is not high speed at all?

Somewhere, I had a USB 2.0 PCI card for my last PC, since that machine was made in 1999. I may try inserting the card and running the tests and checking. In the meantime, anyone else have a suggestion I try next? :)

OKAY... :rolleyes:

I connected the drive up to the front ports with a different cable. GOT get the same old message as before!

I HADN'T gotten it before on the front ports, I don't think. I can't remember anymore. Fuckers! :angry:

Still got about 27 KB/s I/O Rate, though. Anyway, the message that comes up is:

HI-SPEED USB Device Attached To non-HI-SPEED Hub

I think what I'll try next is to see if it's any of the other USB devices next. Just disconnect them ALL and connect them one at a time, disconnect, and reconnect them and check.

I dug up my USB 2.0 PCI card that I haven't used in like 4 years. Belkin. So, anything I should know? e.g. this card is so old it doesn't have X?

Why I don't go out and just buy my way out of the problem is I'm broke. :) Plus, if I don't give up enough "sacrifice" to the forces that be to make it worthwhile for them, then, going out and buying something to fix the problem won't work. This thing that is "breaking" replaced something else from last year. :rolleyes:

As for USB 2.0 Root Hub in Device Manager, no, unless it would be somewhere else other than under Universal Serial Bus controllers. I don't have any USB 2 hubs connected. Which also made me wonder about the message. Unless they consider the internal ports as hubs. Which, with these fuckers, you never know. :lol: I do have a USB 2 hub I got with the PCI card, but, it's not hooked up at the moment. There IS an old USB 1.x GE hub attached, though. BUT, I am connecting the USB 2.0 drives directly into ports on the back of the PC. No hubs.

I dug up my USB 2.0 PCI card that I haven't used in like 4 years. Belkin. So, anything I should know? e.g. this card is so old it doesn't have X?

No idea. I don't even know how old USB2 is (I'd look it up but I couldn't be bothered). :P

Why I don't go out and just buy my way out of the problem is I'm broke. :) Plus, if I don't give up enough "sacrifice" to the forces that be to make it worthwhile for them, then, going out and buying something to fix the problem won't work. This thing that is "breaking" replaced something else from last year. :rolleyes:
I think you need to "accidentally" place the card in a microwave oven for a few seconds and remove any doubt on whether you need a new one or not. ;)
As for USB 2.0 Root Hub in Device Manager, no, unless it would be somewhere else other than under Universal Serial Bus controllers. I don't have any USB 2 hubs connected.

It should be there unless you're using some sort of dodgy driver (which is doubtful).

Which also made me wonder about the message.
I've never seen that message. I plugged an external HD into a USB1.1 slot without any problems. Slow as hell but no message.
Unless they consider the internal ports as hubs.

Doubtful as each has its own "channel". You'd soon know either way if you tried to print a document using a USB connected printer and copying a file to a flashdisk at the same time as one would fail. That's why USB hubs are useless. Sure, you can plug 4 devices into them but only one at a time will function.

Which, with these fuckers, you never know. :lol: I do have a USB 2 hub I got with the PCI card, but, it's not hooked up at the moment. There IS an old USB 1.x GE hub attached, though. BUT, I am connecting the USB 2.0 drives directly into ports on the back of the PC. No hubs.

I'd still run SiSoft Sandra. It'll tell you what you have installed.

900KB/s sustained transfer measured with calculator and stopwatch is usb1, 10-16MB/s sustained transfer is usb2, fock the programs

* 900KB/s is not 27KB/s mentioned in the original post.

* If you're only getting 10-16MB/s across USB2 then something is wrong.

You will only ever see the this device can perform faster if you plug a usb2 high speed device into a 1.X usb whether or not it is a usb 2 port or windows has turned ya usb2 port into usb 1X

usb.gif

Try using top left usb port on back of mobo, especially if you got Asus mobo.

And if your getting 27k a second it's more like bluecrap, well aol silver package bluetooth.

Edited by dontasciime

I think you need to "accidentally" place the card in a microwave oven for a few seconds and remove any doubt on whether you need a new one or not. ;)

Nope, wouldn't be any good. I would be actively trying to influence a negative force which I had no hand in directing my way into a positive force in my favor. Not only would it fail miserably, but, the cosmic balance would detect the attempt, go "THAT FUCKER!" :angry: and send a Ting Effect my way. (Ting being that sound you always hear magic wands make in TV, etc. when they touch something to affect them.) TE's are also known as God Problems. :lol:

I've never seen that message. I plugged an external HD into a USB1.1 slot without any problems. Slow as hell but no message.
Makes perfect sense. It's you and not me. :wink:

Doubtful as each has its own "channel". You'd soon know either way if you tried to print a document using a USB connected printer and copying a file to a flashdisk at the same time as one would fail. That's why USB hubs are useless. Sure, you can plug 4 devices into them but only one at a time will function.

You know? That I did not know. Is that just USB 1.x or also USB 2? I can't think of when I've ever actively done this, but, I would think I have before. They may have queued, but, never failed.

I'd still run SiSoft Sandra. It'll tell you what you have installed.

Okay, let's see what it has to say here in a bit.

What the Hell are you talking about? That it's somehow swapping USB for Blue tooth?

not at all, that ain't what i mean.

Some one is saying your getting 900k , Shamus points out that infact your getting 27k, think it was chewy who pointed out 900k, was only saying if your only getting 27k you got problems, and that speed is more in line with what you could expect if you were using blue tooth, which i know your not..

You not got another external usb2 device , say enclosure to try or a usb2 flash pen etc.

Edited by dontasciime

Yeppers. 27k is mighty slow. A fooked driver, port or something like that. I think floppy drives can manage 21 or 22k/sec? Something like that anyway.

RE: USB queue - Yeah. I wasn't very clear on that. :P Data sent to multiple devices on a single USB port will (should) be queued. There's no sharing like with a TCP/IP connection. It's just how it is.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.