Verify says good but is lying!

chewshumans

In the past, verifying has proven reliable. However, I recently bought a blu-ray burner; and every so often (maybe one in three burns), there will be errors that verify doesn't catch. By which I mean, verify says "all good", but the checksums of the files on the disc don't match the versions on the hard drive.

I assemble a folder of files to burn, and create a checksum file for them. I burn the files - including checksum file - to disc. Everything seems okay. Then I test the checksums, and half a dozen files will fail the test.

Yet ImgBurn said the verification was okay. What the hell!?

Assuming you haven't disabled 'Verify Against Image File' in the Settings, ImgBurn does a byte level comparison - so it would detect issues like that - IF they actually existed at the time.

If you're burning (building + burning on-the-fly) a DVD Video disc, the IFO files won't match the ones on the hdd. They're modified to fix pointers so the disc actually plays.

Assuming you haven't disabled 'Verify Against Image File' in the Settings, ImgBurn does a byte level comparison - so it would detect issues like that - IF they actually existed at the time.

Ah, but I'm not burning an image, I'm burning a compilation.

If you're burning (building + burning on-the-fly) a DVD Video disc, the IFO files won't match the ones on the hdd. They're modified to fix pointers so the disc actually plays.

Except that this isn't a DVD Video disc. This is a software disc, containing lots of installers and such. That is, normal files and folders.

Ah, but I'm not burning an image, I'm burning a compilation.

That doesn't matter, it still applies. Just double check it's enabled.

Tools -> Settings -> 'Write' tab -> Page 1 -> 'Verify Against Image File'.

Post the log of the burn please if you have it. You can access the log via the Help menu.

Uhm....this is weird. I put the failed discs back in to run additional tests, and this time the checksum passed. On both discs.

So it seems that ImgBurn was correct; and the checksums failed due to some kind of intermittent drive screwup or Windows screwup. I apologise for wasting everyone's time, and have no idea what the hell happened... :ermm:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.