Duplicate volume label?

Darkfalz

If I want to use ISO9660 + Joliet + UDF, it would be nice if I only had to enter a volume label once, instead of three times. I looked through options but there was no option to synchronise them or anything. Have I missed something?

If not this would be a good idea as an option for a new version. Obviously ISO has to be in uppercase of the Joliet/UDF one, but that's a simple thing.

Thanks.

Edited by Darkfalz

In theory it's great, and don't think for one second I hadn't already pondered over the idea, but in practice it's a little more tricky.

Each field has it's limitations so it could never be perfect.

Typing it into the UDF one is obviously the best way of doing things as it's the longest and allows for all the characters - this only applies if UDF is an active filesystem of course.

If it's not, the next best is Joliet in terms of what characters it allows, however it's limited to 16 chars where ISO9660 allows 32.

If you go with the longer ISO9660 field (compared to Joliet), you're stuck with all uppercase letters being copied to the other fields.

So basically you'd need 3 buttons to make it copy the appropriate value to the others, depending on which field you'd filled in. That would have messed up my screen! :P

If I could find a nice little meaningful graphic (16x16) to stick on a button, I could shorten each field by the width of that button and stick it on the end.

How about a Synchronize checkbox (if you can squeeze it in). When first enabled it does nothing, but subsequent typing into one of the editboxes will cause the other editboxes to be dynamically updated with the same contents (uppercased/shortened where necessary).

EDIT: The state of the checkbox should be remembered so you could enable it once and then not have to worry about it again for synchronization to occur.

Edited by Defenestration

This is purely cosmetic. It doesn't affect how the disk is burned or played.

I raised it about 2 weeks ago - but only tentatively because I can see how much off the critical path it is nd LUK! said he didn't think it was worthwhile. I dropped it.

You are talking about convenience, nothing more. You watch the DVD not the label.

Regards

I'm using it to backup regular files, not for making DVD Videos. But I wonder if I might just stop using ISO9660 and Joliet and use just UDF.

My only concern is that I would like a cheapo DVD player which can play DVDs full of MPG files (many can, but my current one doesn't) and it may not parse UDF by itself. Other than that I can't think of any reason to use multiple file systems, not like I'm going to using my burned DVDs on Win95 or DOS or something.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.