Can a USB flash drive boot into DOS?

dbminter

I don't think I'll end up doing it. :) Either the easy solutions require (an admittedly small) fee to get the utilities, or appear to be to overly complex. I was thinking about having it as a way to access Q&A under DOS. But, the DOSBox way works, just requires some extra steps each time I want to run it. Trying to minimize it. ;) I wish DOSBox had a macros type function in it for commonly used ASSIGN type commands. But, it doesn't as far as I can tell.

Actually, as it turns, my BIOS does NOT support booting from USB flash drives! :lol: What was in my BIOS were settings from booting from "USB Hard Drive" and "USB CD/DVD." Apparently, a USB flash drive does not qualify as a USB HD because I tried booting from it and it didn't boot.

There is an F12 boot screen option. I've never tried it before. I'll try to remember to try it someday. :)

As for USB 3 ports, I've wondered about that. I believe the website for this model lists USB 3 ports, but, I've no idea which ones are 2 and which are 3. If there even are any 3, or any 2 and that they're all 3. I've no idea. :unsure:

I'm glad you mentioned the F12 option. I'd probably have never thought about trying it. :) I tried it and there is a booting option for my USB flash drive when connected to the front left USB port. So, that one is probably not a USB 3 or it's not on a third party controller. So, there is the boot option in the BIOS; there just isn't an option for automatically booting from a USB flash drive.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.