Wilma Grows to Category 2 in Caribbean

kirk1701™

<<<Notice Av for hurricane Wilma :)

I really think its time we start a pool to where and when it will hit :thumbup:

SAN PEDRO SULA, Honduras (AP) - Hurricane Wilma whirled into the record books as the 12th such storm of the season, strengthening late Tuesday and setting a course to sideswipe Central America or Mexico. Forecasters warned of a "significant threat" to Florida by the weekend. Wilma became a Category 2 hurricane late Tuesday with winds reaching 110 mph, up from 80 mph earlier in the day.

Forecasters warned that Wilma was likely to rake Honduras and the Cayman Islands before turning toward the narrow Yucatan Channel between Cuba and Mexico's Cancun region - then move into the storm-weary Gulf.

The hurricane's outer bands brought rain, high winds and heavy surf to the Atlantic coasts of Nicaragua and Honduras, which closed two seaports on its Caribbean coast.

By 11 p.m. EDT, the hurricane was centered about 180 miles southwest of Grand Cayman Island and about 140 miles northeast of Cape Gracias a Dios on the Honduras-Nicaragua border. It was moving toward the west-northwest at nearly 8 mph, with a more northerly turn expected soon, according to the Hurricane Center.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20051019/D8DARM6O0.html

Edited by kirk1701

Lucky you ! Ours has stuck at 97p a litre ($7.50ish a gallon) ever since the big one hit New Orleans...... just another excuse to push it over the ?1 a litre mark here :angry:

I hope anyone living nearby gets off light tho........

Edited by lfcrule1972

To all you who may be in the way of Wilma, Take NO chances.......... But Take CARE !!! :thumbup: All the best..... :/

just got in after loading plywood on my friends pickup he will do the stuff at ground level tonight and tomorrow we'll do the rest of his house he's got a feeling we'll get hit if not a hurricane then a bad storm

Edited by polopony

Wow, must be a awful feeling not knowing what to expect........ Up here at most we get the tail end of the storms..... mostly just high winds and rain, enough to damage weaker trees but never any serious property damage. Hope your friends place holds up well Polo....... :/ and everyone remains safe. :thumbup:

Wow, must be a awful feeling not knowing what to expect........ Up here at most we get the tail end of the storms..... mostly just high winds and rain, enough to damage weaker trees but never any serious property damage. Hope your friends place holds up well Polo....... :/ and everyone remains safe. :thumbup:

I'm grabbing my ankles and hoping it doesn't hurt!

I guess it's time to get the plywood out again...

before I moved to this house it had the roof blown off it last year during Charley .The construction company I work for is still doing hurricane work from last year and anyone doing roofing is balls to the wall with work. I'm doing a job for Jet Blue and tomorrow we'll go to the site and secure everything there .I dont want to buy an airplane because some of our material damages one

:plane:

Last big one I heared about was 300 miles wide, is that possible? Could it do damage in a 300 mile wide radious?

Yup snazz, and it had the lowest millibar reading ever recorded, it's supposed to turn NorthWest today some time. I haven't heard the news yet today so I don't know what it's doing.

Batten down Polo and the best of luck mate....

Where exactly in Fla. are you now? A buddy of mine is a building inspector there somewhere in Orange County or wherever the big one hit last year.

I'm in West Palm Beach ,It'll be my first brush with a hurricane but while living in NY I did experience a small earthquake but that was in my wild drinking and partying days and while in bed I felt the movement and had thought I dragged someone home with me after a wild party no such luck :cheerleader:=))=))=))

@polo

I use to live there in WPB about 30 years ago. Well if this storm makes it's turn like they say, it looks like it's going to come out close to you between Monday and Tuesday. There forecasting a cat 2 for Florida landfall, but hell it could be higher or lower once it travel across the Gulf waters. I'm sure the water is still warm there but not as warm as it was back in August. Stay safe and hope all goes well!

thanks will do :thumbup:.Went out tonight and stocked up on food and water I have a generator that will run most of the things in my house , topped off the car and filled a 5 gallon gas can for the generator so I think I'm ready

thanks will do :thumbup:.Went out tonight and stocked up on food and water I have a generator that will run most of the things in my house , topped off the car and filled a 5 gallon gas can for the generator so I think I'm ready

I'm up in NW Fl and we have had gas shortages up two weeks after storms and with what little gas there was left there lines blocks long. You just can't get gas and it takes forever to get gas back in. Like the world is at a end. A real nightmare!

its 4:41 am here and the wind chimes outside woke me up they sound like an orchestra .The winds are starting to pick up and gust pretty good .The track for the storm might be a little north of me I hope but they talk like its going to cut across Fla and go up the east coast and dump plenty more water on an already soaked Northeast stay tuned :rain:

Stay safe Polo and good luck.

I know what its like I used to live in Dade County but got out just before Andrew hit :thumbup:

The house my parents sold was destroyed in that one so we lucked out.

That was not meant to scare you there bud, sure you'll be safe ;)

:&#39;( :&#39;( Sure hope Polo and family are all right. West Palm Beach is really getting hit hard by Hurricane, apparently they,re under 5 feet of water already and the wind damage is mounting. If somehow you manage to read this Polo, all the best to you and the family mate............. :pray::pray::(

Fixer is also down in that area somewhere too I think, sure hope alls well with him and his family..... :/:/

Edited by kevdriver

Ye I second what Kev said :thumbup:

Let us all know something when you can, sure their without power right now and no generator is going to give internet access. :(

Yep I am up in the NW part of the state about 600 miles from where the storm went in. It's turning cool here, mid 60's during the day and low 40's at night. Hurricanes don't like this kind of weather and thank God because we have had enough of them up this way in the last few years.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.