Problems with DVD-A/V in "Build" mode

Neil Wilkes

This is an odd one, and it only happens when the disc is built in IMGBurn in Build mode.

Repro..and please bear with me as it gets kinda complicated...

Compile the DVD-A/V image with Sonic's FORMAT (from DVD-Audio Creator) which gives me an IMAGE folder with the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS content & various layout data for later use in the IMAGER module used for outputting either DLT tapes or disc images to a specially pre-formatted internal SCSI drive.

In short, a right PITA, and getting a test disc is often problematic because I use PTP mode more often than not. I know I cannot write a PTP disc, and an alternate Layer Break would need to be set & usually IMGBurn does this for me. Not where I really want it, but it does not matter as the replicated disc will be correct.

Anyway, my usual burn method is to use the Panasonic application MakeIMG to compile me an image file which I then burn with IMGBurn.

This always works perfectly. Sometimes IMGBurn will tell me it cannot find a suitable layer break as disc is formatted incorrectly (it isn't, but that is another story) but again this still seems to output a working disc - working certainly well enoiugh to test all functionality before sending masters out, that is.

However, in a recent effort to save even more time on a lengthy process I tried using IMGBurn in Build mode.

I dragged AUDIO_TS and then VIDEO_TS into the area, and hit "write". To my surprise, I saw a whole raft of Layer Break possibilities appear & went for the best one.

All seemed to be fine.

All WAS fine on my Oppo BDP-83SE, My Denon 2910 & 3910. However on an older Pioneer player (used at the record company) the disc went into STOP mode as soon as they tried to access either the DTS or the LPCM stream in the Video_TS from the Audio Manager in the Audio_TS.

I emphasize the same disc worked fine here, but in the Pioneer - nada.

Rebuilt the test disc in the usual way, and the Pioneer worked properly.

Why is this happening please - and I suspect player firmware.

I'd love to get this one solved.....

Additional info that may or may not help.....I have heard of the same player not correctly outputting DTS audio when it is stream #2 with LPCM.

Apparently that was "fixed" in firmware - it was something to do with the player thinking the DTS stream was also LPCM and outputting noise.

So the disc makes use of the AUDIO_TS folder AND the VIDEO_TS one?

There's minimal code for anything to do with the AUDIO_TS folder. I have no idea how that bit works, nor do I really care as it's used so rarely. (I've never done any real testing with AUDIO_TS stuff)

ImgBurn will be adjusting pointers in the VIDEO_TS folder's IFO files (to match the physical location of stuff on the disc), but it won't be doing the ones in the AUDIO_TS folder to match. That could be where the issue is coming from.

Stick with your original / working method.

So the disc makes use of the AUDIO_TS folder AND the VIDEO_TS one?

Yes - it's a DVD-A/V. We do lots of these.

There's minimal code for anything to do with the AUDIO_TS folder. I have no idea how that bit works, nor do I really care as it's used so rarely. (I've never done any real testing with AUDIO_TS stuff)

Fair enough - cannot argue with that.

ImgBurn will be adjusting pointers in the VIDEO_TS folder's IFO files (to match the physical location of stuff on the disc), but it won't be doing the ones in the AUDIO_TS folder to match. That could be where the issue is coming from.

But if this was the case, then the disc would fail across the board, surely, not just in this Pioneer machine?

Additionally, would this still happen if the app was set to not modify the IFO files? (the checkbox makes no differenceat all in this case)

Or am I missing something important here?

Stick with your original / working method.

That's what I am doing - I reported this because it is an issue though, as something is not right - but I have no idea what is not right and what it is not right with.

As usual, your help & knowledge is much appreciated. I don't know how you have the patience to do this stuff!! (coding, I mean - I have 5 thumbs/hand & no idea at all with that stuff and am in awe of your work)

Edited by Neil Wilkes

But if this was the case, then the disc would fail across the board, surely, not just in this Pioneer machine?

Additionally, would this still happen if the app was set to not modify the IFO files? (the checkbox makes no differenceat all in this case)

Or am I missing something important here?

Well, the players you've tested it on could be very forgiving. Without knowing exactly why the Pioneer failed (which of course is probably impossible to find out), you've (I've) no real starting point for what to be looking at and fixing. I could spend a whole week on it and it still not work!

The checkbox to turn off the modification of IFO files is just for the layer break stuff. You'd probably need to disable 'Fix VTS Sectors' and 'IFO/BUP 32K Padding' too - they're both in the 'DVD Video' groupbox on the Build tab in the Settings.

In theory, the order and positioning of the files in ImgBurn's image should then match an image built by the Panasonic tool - test it by looking at them in IsoBuster. More importantly, the IFO/BUP files should still match your source folder.

That's what I am doing - I reported this because it is an issue though, as something is not right - but I have no idea what is not right and what it is not right with.

As usual, your help & knowledge is much appreciated. I don't know how you have the patience to do this stuff!! (coding, I mean - I have 5 thumbs/hand & no idea at all with that stuff and am in awe of your work)

If you ever work out what's right and not right, do pop back and let me know. I'm happy to implement the fixes / changes but just don't have the tools or knowledge to do any testing myself.

Thanks again - this is "above & beyond the call of duty" sort of stuff.

WHen I have the time to spare (I completely understand that one, believe me!!) I will try & nail it down.

I have a project that I know will reveal the problem - 2 actually - but the difficulty is that they are also both PTP mastered discs.

I guess that as long as the relevant stuff gets modded, all will be fine.

Layer Breaks!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.