Device Buffer 0%

JimC

Hey all...

I've been having an interesting problem. Whenever I burn DVD's the Device Buffer always stays at 0%. Never even budges. So far it has NOT caused a burn to fail, but seems like a problem to me.... I can't pinpoint when it started happening, but this wasn't always the case. BTW - It also happens with DVD Decrypter.

I'm also running XP Pro x64

Info below:

CPU : Athlon XP 3200

RAM: 1gb

Drive: LG 4163B

Firmware: A105 (latest as of posting)

Media: Taiyo Yuden [TYG02]

So far it hasn't failed, but its bugging me so I thought I'd post.

Thanks in advance,

JC

Blutach: Thanks for the heads up that there's a new firmware.

For what it's worth, I uninstalled Diskeeper 10 (on a hunch) and all is well.

I started uninstalling everything I had installed in the last few weeks. Looks like Diskeeper was the culprit. No idea why this would be the case, but who knows.

When I get a chance I'll reinstall Diskeeper to verify this was in fact the problem, but for now I have some DVD's to burn.

Uninstalling Diskeeper 10 does indeed sound like an odd fix!

Do let me know if the problem comes back though because I'll install xp64 and take a look.

Thanks for the response 'Lightning'...

Well I was a little premature in blaming Diskeeper... Problem is back. Due to the inconsistent nature of the problem, I'm going to blame the hardware. The odd thing is my burns seem OK. With Verify turned on the check out ok, and they seem to play fine on my Magnovox DVD player.

I don't think x64 is the issue either. It worked fine a few times, then it didn't... then it did again. I'd hate to replace the burner so soon, but they are cheap enough these days.

Thanks for the responses. If anyone thinks of anything let me know.

JC

• 3 weeks later...

Well.. I've done a ton of burning since my last post so I figure I'd update the thread. Seems to work well when I boot to XP 32-bit. Problems startup again when I boot in XP 64-bit. The device buffer problem is intermittent, but only happens when I boot to WinXP 64. I really can't say it's related to the OS being 64 bit or some other gremlin that has crept into my box, but it does rule out a hardware problem.

If anyone has any experience with burning in WinXP 64 I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks all.

• 8 months later...

Well, I'm having exactly the same problem. Device Buffer at 0%, and never moves from there. I'm using Vista, but the 32-bit version. I used to have XP SP2, and had the chance to make a burn, but since having Vista, I could not even make one burn. You could say its Vista, but I'd made a research and found out lots of guys that have Vista, and my drive (Samsung SH-S182M) have it fully functioning. I have the latest firmware also. So, theres some program, o some driver, o i dont know thats causing this. Hope someone who reads this, had the same problem and could solve it, because i really dont want format my pc

Well, I'm having exactly the same problem. Device Buffer at 0%, and never moves from there. I'm using Vista, but the 32-bit version. I used to have XP SP2, and had the chance to make a burn, but since having Vista, I could not even make one burn. You could say its Vista, but I'd made a research and found out lots of guys that have Vista, and my drive (Samsung SH-S182M) have it fully functioning. I have the latest firmware also. So, theres some program, o some driver, o i dont know thats causing this. Hope someone who reads this, had the same problem and could solve it, because i really dont want format my pc

here's a sample of a imgburn log

I 21:01:43 ImgBurn Version 2.3.2.0 started!

I 21:01:43 Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 21:01:43 Total Physical Memory: 1,047,040 KB - Available: 316,328 KB

I 21:01:43 Initialising SPTI...

I 21:01:43 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 21:01:45 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD

Press F6 the next time you go to burn a disc, then post the log again.

Oh and take off the compatibility thing. If you're running Vista the program would want the OS to report that because it has to make slight changes.

Please also post the details for your filter drivers (look in the Tools menu).

Press F6 the next time you go to burn a disc, then post the log again.

Oh and take off the compatibility thing. If you're running Vista the program would want the OS to report that because it has to make slight changes.

Please also post the details for your filter drivers (look in the Tools menu).

Here's the log

I 14:20:33 ImgBurn Version 2.3.2.0 started!

I 14:20:33 Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition (6.0, Build 6000)

I 14:20:33 Total Physical Memory: 1,047,040 KB - Available: 443,184 KB

I 14:20:33 Initialising SPTI...

I 14:20:33 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 14:20:35 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD

post-7358-1180114001_thumb.jpg

Well either the command to get buffer size / state isn't working during the burn, or your drive is just always reporting that it's empty.

D 14:23:54 Device Buffer Available: 0 bytes.

This is a little weird - it should be empty!

There's a way to enable logging of buffer commands during a burn, you have to add a registry entry.

Under 'HKCU\Software\ImgBurn', make a DWORD entry called 'OVERRIDE_DeviceBufferWithLogging' and set it's value to 1.

Then burn another disc having pressed F8 before you start.

The program will log all the buffer status commands sent to the drive.

Copy + paste that log (or save + attach if it's huge)

When you've done that, delete the registry entry again.

Well either the command to get buffer size / state isn't working during the burn, or your drive is just always reporting that it's empty.

D 14:23:54 Device Buffer Available: 0 bytes.

This is a little weird - it should be empty!

There's a way to enable logging of buffer commands during a burn, you have to add a registry entry.

Under 'HKCU\Software\ImgBurn', make a DWORD entry called 'OVERRIDE_DeviceBufferWithLogging' and set it's value to 1.

Then burn another disc having pressed F8 before you start.

The program will log all the buffer status commands sent to the drive.

Copy + paste that log (or save + attach if it's huge)

When you've done that, delete the registry entry again.

Same thing happened. I've attached the log

ImgBurn.txt

lol, no, you're still cutting it off at 'Writing LeadIn...' ! The device buffer isn't checked until after that, and only then will it start logging.

Well the thing is that I could leave it for a day, and it would still be writing the lead-in

here's another sample of a log. I have cancelled the process after half an hour to show you, that it's still in the 'writing Leadin'

ImgBurn1.txt

Ahhh well then you have a different problem!

As it stands, I'd expect the device buffer bar to be empty if you're only getting so far as the leadin.

Does it get stuck at this point no matter what you're burning? i.e CD-R / CD-RW / DVD-R / DVD-RW / DVD+R / DVD+RW etc.

Ahhh well then you have a different problem!

As it stands, I'd expect the device buffer bar to be empty if you're only getting so far as the leadin.

Does it get stuck at this point no matter what you're burning? i.e CD-R / CD-RW / DVD-R / DVD-RW / DVD+R / DVD+RW etc.

yes, i've tried CD-R, CD-RW, DVD+R and DVD+RW

any ideas???

i've searched all over the net, and couldn't find a solution yet

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.