"Low-level format" DVD

Stannieman

When writing a DVD+RW (with verifying) I accidentally clicked OK in the dialog of the tray-cycling before I actually closed it. This caused my dvd to be unreadable and unwritable.

I was using 2.5.5.0 at that time, and when trying to do a full erase it asked what type it was. I selected DVD+RW and it started erasing, but very very slowly. I suppose it was somehow trying to low-level format it? I interrupted the erasing process cause it would take to much time for that moment.

Now I upgraded to 2.5.6.0, it still asks me to select what type it is, but it doesn't start erasing anymore.

Now I wonder if this is a but in the new release, or my dvd is completely broken now, or it was completely broken in the first place already.

If it's asking what type of disc it is that you're trying to erase, the drive probably hasn't initialised it properly/at all.

So basically, it was completely broken in the first place - and it had nothing to do with you clicking the OK button on the tray cycling dialog.

If it's asking what type of disc it is that you're trying to erase, the drive probably hasn't initialised it properly/at all.

So basically, it was completely broken in the first place - and it had nothing to do with you clicking the OK button on the tray cycling dialog.

The drive indeed can't initialize it properly I think.

I'm pretty sure (95%) that the dvd wasn't worn out when it got broken though. I always check my discs with nero discspeed after every burn to ensure the quality. I'm also sure that the last time that disc has been written was less than a month earlier, so if it's worn out the discspeed check of the last burn would have given a bad result and I would have thrown away the disc.

So the fact that I still have it means that a month before the error, the dvd was still in good condition, and for the rest of the time it was just in it's case on my desk.

Do you still have a mirror of 2.5.5.0 somewhere to test maybe? I can see if that version does an attempt to erase it, or can I just ruin my laser by doing that?

Edited by Stannieman

When you put the disc in the drive and switch to Write mode, what does the program list in the box on the right? Is it just blank (apart from the top 2 lines) ?

If so, what message do you see in the status bar?

If the drive can't initialise the disc (whereby the box mentioned above will be blank), no software can interact with it. The version of ImgBurn you're using is of no importance and will make no difference.

When you put the disc in the drive and switch to Write mode, what does the program list in the box on the right? Is it just blank (apart from the top 2 lines) ?

If so, what message do you see in the status bar?

If the drive can't initialise the disc (whereby the box mentioned above will be blank), no software can interact with it. The version of ImgBurn you're using is of no importance and will make no difference.

Info in the right box:

Slimtype DVD A  DS8A5SH XAA2 (ATAPI)
Current Profile: DVD-ROM

Disc Information:
State of Last Session: Complete
Erasable: No
Sessions: 1
Sectors: 2.295.104
Size: 4.700.372.992 bytes
Time: 510:03:29 (MM:SS:FF)

TOC Information:
Session 1... (LBA: 0)
-> Track 01  (Mode 1, LBA: 0 - 2295103)
-> LeadOut  (LBA: 2295104)

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
Disc ID: DAXON-D42-00
Book Type: DVD-ROM
Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 1
Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196.608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2.491.711
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

The statusbar says disc not empty.

When trying to full erase it asks the type, I say DVD+RW.

Then it plays the "oh no" sound.

The info in the log window:

I 19:23:11 -> Drive 1 - Info: Slimtype DVD A  DS8A5SH XAA2 (D:) (ATAPI)
I 19:23:11 Found 1 DVD±RW/RAM!
I 19:25:03 Operation Started!
I 19:25:03 Device: [0:1:0] Slimtype DVD A  DS8A5SH XAA2 (D:) (ATAPI)
I 19:25:03 Media Type: DVD+RW
I 19:25:03 Media Supported Write Speeds: 24x
I 19:25:03 Quick Erase: No
I 19:25:03 Format Properly: Yes
I 19:25:03 Format Size: Preferred
I 19:25:03 Erasing Disc...
E 19:25:03 Failed to Erase Disc! - Reason: Invalid Field in CDB
E 19:25:03 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:00:00

That disc looks like a DVD-ROM.

Have you got DAEMON Tools or Alcohol 120% installed at all?

Both those apps have the ability to make a rewritable disc look like a DVD-ROM disc. You have to turn a setting off in them to fix it.

I have ultraiso installed, but how can that be the problem? I have written to a dvd yesterday without any problems, and it was the exact same dvd as the broken one.

I can't find such an option in ultraiso btw.

But isn't there a way to force the device to write stuff to the disc, rather than checking first if it's ok?

If the drive reports a disc as a DVD-ROM, it's just going to reject any commands to do with writing or erasing. All that stuff is programmed into the firmware, it's not possible for software to override it.

So if you've now written to an identical DVD+RW disc, does it still show up as a DVD+RW when you insert it back in the drive?

If the other (broken) one still shows up as DVD-ROM when the other shows DVD+RW just fine, write it off and forget about it.

If the drive reports a disc as a DVD-ROM, it's just going to reject any commands to do with writing or erasing. All that stuff is programmed into the firmware, it's not possible for software to override it.

So if you've now written to an identical DVD+RW disc, does it still show up as a DVD+RW when you insert it back in the drive?

If the other (broken) one still shows up as DVD-ROM when the other shows DVD+RW just fine, write it off and forget about it.

The working one is +RW, so disc -> recycle bin?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.