A File Name is invliad

captainvideo

Hi:

All of a sudden this evening, after loading in some FLAC files and trying to create a cue file like I did several times this week, I am getting an error which I do not understand.

Attached is the screen print.

Please try to assist me.

Thank you.

dubinm

post-1-0-64748300-1319277264.png

Which button had you actually pressed when that error box came up?

The 'Browse for a file... (Ins)' one or the 'OK' one?

Hi Lightning:

It was the 'OK' button.

Before that I loaded in all nine files and they were recognized since I recently added the MADFLAC codec. I clicked on "Session" and selected "Tag" for CD-Text. I verified that the tags were correct for all nine files. Then I clicked 'OK' as usual and I got the error.

All I could do was exit out of ImgBurn. I checked the log and there was nothing in it suggesting that any kind of error occurred.

This is stumping me. Fortunately, I have another free software "Burrrn" for creating CDs from FLAC and that worked fine with the same files. But I really prefer to use ImgBurn since it is updated and supported.

Note that in the past several days, I burned about four CDs from FLAC via ImgBurn without any problems.

Thank you.

dubinm

It's not the files causing the problem, it's whatever the 'Save' dialog box is trying to use as a default file name. (I *think* anyway!)

That screenshot shows you using the 'File Name' for CD-TEXT rather than the 'Tag'.

Did you set anything for CD-TEXT at Disc level?

You could avoid the 'Save' box by clicking the 'Quick OK' button. I'd be interested to see if that works, and if it does, what name is given to the CUE file.

It's not the files causing the problem, it's whatever the 'Save' dialog box is trying to use as a default file name. (I *think* anyway!)

That screenshot shows you using the 'File Name' for CD-TEXT rather than the 'Tag'.

Did you set anything for CD-TEXT at Disc level?

You could avoid the 'Save' box by clicking the 'Quick OK' button. I'd be interested to see if that works, and if it does, what name is given to the CUE file.

Hi Lightning:

I always check the 'Tag' box and that is when I got the error. I just thought I would try 'File Name' to see if it helped but it didn't. So understand that this error occurred with 'Tag' selected. Sorry for the confusion.

These Flacs originated as MP3s (320kbps). The only CD-TEXT I entered were the individual track names (via Audacity). Everything else was tagged from the original MP3 files which were downloaded.

I tried your suggestion with the 'Quick OK' button but all the tag information disappeared and nothing further happened. Then when I clicked 'OK', it said that the file could not be found.

dubinm

If you add all those same songs, leave all the CD-TEXT stuff on 'None' and click OK, does the Save box come up?

If you just add a single song and click OK, does the save box come up?

If you can work out which song is causing the problem, I can take a look at it and fix it. It's not an issue I've ever seen before.

Clicking 'Quick OK' should close the window once it has finished saving the CUE file with an automatically generated file name (the same file name that would normally be filled out when you click the OK button and are shown the Save box).

Just confirm you're using 2.5.6.0 too please.

If you add all those same songs, leave all the CD-TEXT stuff on 'None' and click OK, does the Save box come up?

If you just add a single song and click OK, does the save box come up?

If you can work out which song is causing the problem, I can take a look at it and fix it. It's not an issue I've ever seen before.

Clicking 'Quick OK' should close the window once it has finished saving the CUE file with an automatically generated file name (the same file name that would normally be filled out when you click the OK button and are shown the Save box).

Just confirm you're using 2.5.6.0 too please.

Hi Lightning:

Yes I am using version 2.5.6.0 and yes I had no problem if I checked 'None" under CD-TEXT. That made me realize there must have been something not right with the text in Performer which came from the MP3 tag.

So I did the following and the problem went away:

1) Under 'Session' I clicked 'Tag' under CD-TEXT and then immediately clicked 'Custom'.

2) I changed the text in Performer to something much shorter and more meaningful. This change took effect for each of the nine files but the individual titles in these files did remain.

3) I then clicked 'OK' and there was no error message and I was able to save the cue as usual.

So it all had to do with something not correct in the 'text' of the 'performer'. What it was I have no idea but from now on, I will check the contents of this and make sure it is what I want.

Thanks very much for your assistance.

dubin.

As mentioned in my previous post, if you could narrow it down and find a file that makes it go from working -> not working, I can examine the issue with it and fix it.

Without that fix it could happen again and that just makes more work for you doing it manually.

Hi Lightning:

It was not any particular file. It was the text of the 'Performer' tag which was common to all nine files.

Here is the text of that tag:

King, Cassidy/Maida, Anthony/Meachem, Lucas/Balach, Nancy Maria/Woods, Brian/Loomis, Megan/Wilcox, Ann Marie/Woodward, Wade/Wannen, David/Miller, Jeffrey/Sumners, John/Musick, John/Martin, Jessie Wright/Stinson, Jonathan/Carlton, Brian/Simmonds, Arlene/Comerford, Rebecca/Thompson, J. Lynn

As soon as I modified this via 'custom', the error disappeared. Can you tell what in this tag might have caused the error? Was it too long? Were there any invalid characters?

Thank you.

dubinm

Assuming that's an exact copy+paste of what ImgBurn read from the tag, I'll put it in one of my files and perform some tests on it.

Whatever the issue is, I'll try for a workaround/fix in the next release.

Hi Lightning:

Yes, that is an exact copy+paste of the Performer Tag.

Thanks for your excellent support.

dubinm

It looks like it's just too many characters.

It works ok in Windows 7 but it truncates what gets filled out in the 'File Name' line to 259 characters.

Even then it wouldn't let you click the 'Save' button in the dialog box, it keeps saying the name is invalid. You have to delete characters (making the name shorter) until the entire path can fit in 260 characters.

It looks like it's just too many characters.

It works ok in Windows 7 but it truncates what gets filled out in the 'File Name' line to 259 characters.

Even then it wouldn't let you click the 'Save' button in the dialog box, it keeps saying the name is invalid. You have to delete characters (making the name shorter) until the entire path can fit in 260 characters.

Hi Lightning:

Thanks for letting me know. I kind of figured that the name was too long since it did not have any unusual characters in it. I'll look out for this type of situation in the future.

Thanks for a great product and great support!

dubinm

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.