Verify Error with iHAS624 B

So Solid Jedi

Hi, my last burn threw up an error in verifying with imgburn at around 80%. My drive is a Liteon iHAS624 B. I did a successful burn yesterday but today i got a verify error around 80%, the only thing that i can think of that was different this time than yesterday was that messenger was open at the time of importing the file to be burned, i closed messenger straight after i realised/before burning but i never closed IMGBurn down and re-imported the file to be burned again (which did cross my mind). In the past with another model of drive (a Pioneer) i have had a problem with Messenger and IMGburn so already know that there can be conflicts between those programs.

Ive attached the log of the failed verified burn

I can also attach the log of my previous successful verified burn if it helps?

ImgBurn.log

Edited by So Solid Jedi

As you can see from here...

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=18871&st=0&p=136024entry136024

... you should not be having problems burning MKM-003-00 with that drive.

So yeah, just try another disc as that one may have been faulty.

It might be worth scanning (pipo scan / disc quality test) the disc in opti drive control / dvdinfopro to see what the error rates are like on it - then compare it to how my scans look in that thread.

It might be worth scanning (pipo scan / disc quality test) the disc in opti drive control / dvdinfopro to see what the error rates are like on it - then compare it to how my scans look in that thread.

Ok, will try the opti drive control / dvdinfopro to see the error rates,

by the way ive just had another L-EC Uncorrectable Error with another img and new disc, it could just be a bad batch of MKM-003-00 DVD+R DL but its suspicous in the fact the batch is from same guy i have been getting them from for the past 2-3 years and havnt had bad burns uptil now, since i changed my drive from Pioneer to Liteon iHAS624 B, i have had 2 bad burns so far out of 4? and is it just a co-incidence that others are having same L-EC Uncorrectable Errors with iHas Drives? hmm? Nethertheless i will try what you recommended run the bad burn through Opti drive control / dvdinfopro to see what error rates are like on it.

Edited by So Solid Jedi

Ok, will try the opti drive control / dvdinfopro to see the error rates,

by the way ive just had another L-EC Uncorrectable Error with another img and new disc, it could just be a bad batch of MKM-003-00 DVD+R DL but its suspicous in the fact the batch is from same guy i have been getting them from for the past 2-3 years and havnt had bad burns uptil now, since i changed my drive from Pioneer to Liteon iHAS624 B, i have had 2 bad burns so far out of 4? and is it just a co-incidence that others are having same L-EC Uncorrectable Errors with iHas Drives? hmm? Nethertheless i will try what you recommended run the bad burn through Opti drive control / dvdinfopro to see what error rates are like on it.

Ok, so i have opti drive installed, what tests do i need to run? what results are my looking for/do i need to post here?

Edited by So Solid Jedi

After doing a bit of research/testing, I've found the firmware c4e released for these drives totally wipes out the write strategy in the firmware for MKM-003-00 media (it's renamed to MKM-0a3-00).

As such, MKM-003-00 looks like a totally new and unknown MID/dye to the drive.

All the work Lite-On put into tweaking the firmware for the MID/dye goes out the window and instead you have to rely on the drive's 'SmartWrite' feature which basically enables HyperTuning and Online HyperTuning in an attempt to get a decent burn. Sometimes this works well and sometimes it doesn't.

You can read about SmartWrite here - http://www.liteonit.eu/en/smartwrite/smartwrite.html

You can tell HyperTuning is enabled and running on the drive because the drive LED double blinks during the burn rather than just a steady on/off/on (just enabling OHT doesn't make it do that).

The lack of a proper write strategy for MKM-003-00 also means it'll only read/verify up to 8x rather than the usual 12x.

You can fix that by using MCSE to rename the MKM-0a3-00 back to MKM-003-00... but then you need to manually enable 'Force HyperTuning' and 'Online HyperTuning' in the eeprom settings (Tools -> Drive -> Change Advanced Settings...) to actually get the thing to burn nicely into the 'overburn' area at the outer edge of the disc (I tried a few tests in Discovery mode with the appropriate number of sectors and kept getting verify errors at LBA 2112480 without them on).

Of course once 'FHT' and 'OHT' have been enabled in the eeprom settings, they're on for ALL media (rather than just MKM-003-00) and you may experience worse burns with other media (because it's not using the built-in/default firmware strategies - that's what the 'Force' in FHT means) when just using the drive for normal stuff.

Using Opti Drive Control might not be such a good idea at this point... it seems to crash for me when it gets beyond what would normally be the end of the disc. DVDInfoPro works ok though, as does kprobe (but that doesn't update the graph in realtime!)

hmm, thats odd, Opti Drive Control seemed to run the disc quality test ok for me with win7 x64? might get a crash if it ry any other tests tho? so basically what your saying is custom firmware for this drive has screwed the drive up? I feel like just putting my old pioneer drive back in my pc for now, as i am not burning any XGD3 games at the minute for various reasons, and the custom firmware unfortunately seems to give burn errors not only just for XGD3 rips but also XGD2 so at least using my old pioneer i wasnt getting any errors with XGD2, until this is all cleared up. Too many people getting errors with these drives (Liteon iHAS + custom firmware) at the minute and i dont really feel like having to alter so many settings to try and get the drive stable, when ultimately its hit and miss anyway? So what your saying is if i flashed the Liteon iHAS624 b eeprom back to stock and then the flash back to stock, it would give good burns for XGD2 but obviously not support the XGD3 games? unless it is a bad Drive? its all such a mess

Ive attached a pic of Disc Quality with Opti Drive Control, but discs arent issue? or are? i dont know what to make of all this jargon? can you shed some light? all i know is the red graph seems to me to be a bad sign? lol

post-23075-0-88517500-1319710688.png

Edited by So Solid Jedi

Ah, that's not a scan of an overburnt disc... it's not even a regular fully burnt disc :)

All you should have to do is burn at 4x and turn OPC on. I'm not even 100% convinced about the OPC thing to be honest - it makes no difference to the results my drive/media achieve.

If you're already doing that then you might want to get another spindle of Verbs to test with - and make sure they're from Singapore.

ODC v1.51 is out btw.

Ah, that's not a scan of an overburnt disc... it's not even a regular fully burnt disc :)

All you should have to do is burn at 4x and turn OPC on. I'm not even 100% convinced about the OPC thing to be honest - it makes no difference to the results my drive/media achieve.

If you're already doing that then you might want to get another spindle of Verbs to test with - and make sure they're from Singapore.

ODC v1.51 is out btw.

Ok, just for the record, i know its not a scan of an overburnt disc...... it was a failed XGD2 (No overburn needed) burnt disc (failed to verify at 88%, got L-EC Uncontrollable Errors so i just pushed the stop button) then ran it through ODC and this is what i got? and #2 they are MKM-003 Verbs from Singapore i use and the only ones i use/used and havnt had any problems till installing this new Liteon iHAS624B drive combined with using c4e custom firmware.

and #3 i was aware of ODC v1.51 is out.... (but couldnt find a cracked version, :P lol)

I know, in theory all u should have to do is burn at 4x and turn OPC on. (which is what my settings are) but the failed Verify's tell a differnet story for the Liteon iHAS624B? hmmm yeah im sceptical bout the OPC thing as well, thats the only difference to the settings i made when going from my old pioneer (which had no failed verify's) to this new Liteon iHAS.

I'll run a successfully burnt disc thru OPC and post a pic of results for comparison.

Edited by So Solid Jedi

Revert to the ofw and try burning them again.

If you don't mind wasting one, use discovery mode and burn all the sectors.

As I say, HyperTuning doesn't always work out for the best ;)

Ideally you'd just use the LiteOn for overburnt MKM003 (with the settings tailored to it) and use another (better?) drive for everything else.

Revert to the ofw and try burning them again.

If you don't mind wasting one, use discovery mode and burn all the sectors.

As I say, HyperTuning doesn't always work out for the best ;)

Ideally you'd just use the LiteOn for overburnt MKM003 (with the settings tailored to it) and use another (better?) drive for everything else.

I was thinking the same thing, it was made a big thing of the fact that Liteon iHAS with custom firmware can give no errors for XGD3 (Overburnt MKM003) but was the custom firmware fully tested with XGD2 (normally burnt MKM003) which is where im having issues at the moment? It's kinda crappy, the idea of having to have 2 (My old Pioneer for XGD2 burns & Liteon iHAS for XGD3 burns) seperate RW drives in my setup until all releases are XGD3 (Overburnt MKM003) only. I currently have a TSSTcorp DVD-ROM SH-D163B SB01 in the other slot in my PC

Anyway, ive attached an image of a successful burnt disc using imgburn OPC on, x4 speed, mkm003 singapore verb, same Liteon iHAS624 B drive.

post-23075-0-74739100-1319714628.png

That was with the stock (non overburning) firmware yeah?

You can see my scans for that config here - http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=18871&view=findpost&p=136024

Yours isn't a million miles away from it.

No, it was actually with c4e firmware but with normal sized img (XGD2) 7.29 GB (7,838,695,424 bytes) not (XGD3) 8.13 GB (8,738,846,720 bytes) so no overburn comes into play.

Edited by So Solid Jedi

ok so hypertuning did a better job that time :)

These drives are supposed to learn as they go (and get better) because they can store custom write strategies for something like the last 8 discs and will pick the best one from the selection as a base for the next one.

You'd have to flash back to stock firmware to test the actual liteon write strategies.

ok so hypertuning did a better job that time :)

These drives are supposed to learn as they go (and get better) because they can store custom write strategies for something like the last 8 discs and will pick the best one from the selection as a base for the next one.

You'd have to flash back to stock firmware to test the actual liteon write strategies.

ok, how do i know hypertuning is turned on for the drive? or is it a default of c4e firmware? and i can try and flash back to stock firmware (stock EEPROM & Stock FLASH) and try and get a successful XGD2 burn then post OPC results if it helps?

ive attached the log for all my burns to date

** On a side note, changing the "Volume ID:" ie "Label" in IMGBURN is not a good idea coz although you get successful burns, those same images dont verify again in abgx360. So not a good idea guys.

ImgBurn.log

Edited by So Solid Jedi

ok, how do i know hypertuning is turned on for the drive? or is it a default of c4e firmware?

I explained all that in my second reply - post #7 :)

and i can try and flash back to stock firmware (stock EEPROM & Stock FLASH) and try and get a successful XGD2 burn then post OPC results if it helps?

Be my guest :)

It's always nice to have extra results to compare against.

ok, how do i know hypertuning is turned on for the drive? or is it a default of c4e firmware?

I explained all that in my second reply - post #7 :)

and i can try and flash back to stock firmware (stock EEPROM & Stock FLASH) and try and get a successful XGD2 burn then post OPC results if it helps?

Be my guest :)

It's always nice to have extra results to compare against.

since the OPC pic i uploaded was of NBA JAM, once i have flashed to stock, i will try the same NBA JAM img when burning, should i make any changes to the settings with stock iHAS before burning or leave it the same?

Edited by So Solid Jedi

Once flashed to stock, just burn at 4x. No special treatment (reset ImgBurn to default settings if you've messed with anything).

The eeprom will have been updated/reset during the flash to stock. So any user made FHT, OHT etc changes will be lost - which is what you want. The defaults are FHT/OHT/OS off - SB on.

Once flashed to stock, just burn at 4x. No special treatment (reset ImgBurn to default settings if you've messed with anything).

The eeprom will have been updated/reset during the flash to stock. So any user made FHT, OHT etc changes will be lost - which is what you want. The defaults are FHT/OHT/OS off - SB on.

Ok, i havnt flashed to stock yet, but i had a look at the settings with EEPROM Utility and the only box ticked is Smart Burn, the Force Hyper Tuning, Force Over Speed Writing & Online Hyper Tuning are not ticked using c4e firmware?

Oh and something i forgot to mention is that the pioneer drive i referred to as my previous drive i was using for successful burns was in fact a Pioneer DVR-A18L ATA Drive, so maybe the Liteon iHAS624B doesnt like my sata controller or something? its the first Sata RW drive i have used in this setup. (Striker Extreme Mobo)

Edited by So Solid Jedi

change your sata cable' date=' check if you have 2 diff sata controler if so connect to another sata chanel be sur that your sata chanel is on ide and not ahci and in imageburn-tool-I/O elbycdio instead of spti[/quote']

I was given this information on another forum, would these settings help in anyway? I noticed that my seetings for I/O is SPTI. Do you think changing the setting to Elbycdio would make any difference? Not sure about the sata channel idea though? being on ide and not ahci?

Edited by So Solid Jedi

Nope, (and to put it bluntly) that's complete rubbish.

Once the data hits the drive's buffer (which it is doing just fine), your entire system is out of the equation. (With the exception of something like a faulty psu that can't provide enough power to the drive)

The drive and its firmware control every aspect of the burn and the quality of burn you'll eventually end up with. When have you EVER seen burning software say anything in the changelog about improving the write quality on such and such a disc? Exactly, never. That's something you see in firmware release notes.

Doing things like enabling 'Perform OPC Before Write' will change how your drive behaves (internally) and could have a positive/negative effect on burn quality but things like buffer sizes, I/O interfaces, IDE/AHCI etc never will.

*The comment about buffer size not being an issue assumes there are no problems supplying the drive with a steady stream of data - if you're abusing the hdd during the burn, the drive may have to pause now and then until there's enough data for it to start up again. That might introduce a PIE/PIF at the point of relinking but you'd never notice it. You're only burning at about 5.5MB/s at 4x so it's hardly taxing for a modern hdd. The default 40MB buffer will last about 7 seconds without ANYTHING being read from the hdd - and 7 seconds is quite a long time (to a computer) for nothing to happen.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.