Verify Error with iHAS624 B

So Solid Jedi

Nope, (and to put it bluntly) that's complete rubbish.

Once the data hits the drive's buffer (which it is doing just fine), your entire system is out of the equation. (With the exception of something like a faulty psu that can't provide enough power to the drive)

The drive and its firmware control every aspect of the burn and the quality of burn you'll eventually end up with. When have you EVER seen burning software say anything in the changelog about improving the write quality on such and such a disc? Exactly, never. That's something you see in firmware release notes.

Doing things like enabling 'Perform OPC Before Write' will change how your drive behaves (internally) and could have a positive/negative effect on burn quality but things like buffer sizes, I/O interfaces, IDE/AHCI etc never will.

*The comment about buffer size not being an issue assumes there are no problems supplying the drive with a steady stream of data - if you're abusing the hdd during the burn, the drive may have to pause now and then until there's enough data for it to start up again. That might introduce a PIE/PIF at the point of relinking but you'd never notice it. You're only burning at about 5.5MB/s at 4x so it's hardly taxing for a modern hdd. The default 40MB buffer will last about 7 seconds without ANYTHING being read from the hdd - and 7 seconds is quite a long time (to a computer) for nothing to happen.

Yeah, i know exactly what you mean about the abusing the HDD during a burn, have had the pausing happen to me, the buffer was going crazy lol until i shutdown the program that was causing the conflict then it all went back to normal, now im not too sure if it was long enough to really affect the PIE and PIF? kinda took for granted that obviously it could have a negative PIE and PIF effect until today, before today i had never even heard of those 2 things :P lol.

Edited by So Solid Jedi

Ok, i have still yet to flash back to stock, but today i thought id give another burn ago, so i tried to burn the same img file as yesterdays failed verify and made sure i wasnt using any programs in the background nor internet browser and quess what, it was a successful write and successful Verify with imgburn.....so i dont know? maybe having things running in background is affecting the burns with this temperamental c4e firmware? i know i never had this problem before with my IDE Pioneer drive but im gonna try and stick to this and see how my next few burns go? i have attached the image of opti drive disc read for the latest successful burn for comparison. I heard that MAX PIE should not be higher than 100 and MAX PIF should not be higher than 4, so those numbers seem good by comparison, i just dont like the higher graphs at the beginning and end of the burn though? and jitter seems to take a dip during the middle of the burn?

post-23075-0-30881200-1319820373.png

Edited by So Solid Jedi

You really don't need to go overboard with that stuff. If the drive is getting the data then the burn quality will not suffer - and even if it doesn't get the data the burn quality doesn't really suffer!

If I shut everything down each time I did a burn, I'd spend half my life closing everything down and reopening it again!

You really don't need to go overboard with that stuff. If the drive is getting the data then the burn quality will not suffer - and even if it doesn't get the data the burn quality doesn't really suffer!

If I shut everything down each time I did a burn, I'd spend half my life closing everything down and reopening it again!

hmm, i know what you mean, but some sort of program is causing it to fail to verify when i have programs open like torrents and things and because im not sure the cause of the failed verifys, at the moment its just easier for me to not have anything else running when doing my burns, now of course i never had this problem with my Pioneer IDE drive but there you go. :rolleyes:

After doing a bit of research/testing, I've found the firmware c4e released for these drives totally wipes out the write strategy in the firmware for MKM-003-00 media (it's renamed to MKM-0a3-00).

As such, MKM-003-00 looks like a totally new and unknown MID/dye to the drive.

All the work Lite-On put into tweaking the firmware for the MID/dye goes out the window and instead you have to rely on the drive's 'SmartWrite' feature which basically enables HyperTuning and Online HyperTuning in an attempt to get a decent burn. Sometimes this works well and sometimes it doesn't.

You can read about SmartWrite here - http://www.liteonit.eu/en/smartwrite/smartwrite.html

You can tell HyperTuning is enabled and running on the drive because the drive LED double blinks during the burn rather than just a steady on/off/on (just enabling OHT doesn't make it do that).

The lack of a proper write strategy for MKM-003-00 also means it'll only read/verify up to 8x rather than the usual 12x.

You can fix that by using MCSE to rename the MKM-0a3-00 back to MKM-003-00... but then you need to manually enable 'Force HyperTuning' and 'Online HyperTuning' in the eeprom settings (Tools -> Drive -> Change Advanced Settings...) to actually get the thing to burn nicely into the 'overburn' area at the outer edge of the disc (I tried a few tests in Discovery mode with the appropriate number of sectors and kept getting verify errors at LBA 2112480 without them on).

Of course once 'FHT' and 'OHT' have been enabled in the eeprom settings, they're on for ALL media (rather than just MKM-003-00) and you may experience worse burns with other media (because it's not using the built-in/default firmware strategies - that's what the 'Force' in FHT means) when just using the drive for normal stuff.

Using Opti Drive Control might not be such a good idea at this point... it seems to crash for me when it gets beyond what would normally be the end of the disc. DVDInfoPro works ok though, as does kprobe (but that doesn't update the graph in realtime!)

As you comment, I want to understand that with the original Lite-On firmware and using overburning with MKM003 will get better results than with c4eva firm, that's right ? Or there's something more on his firm than a simple media id renamed with MCSE...

No, the strategies built into the firmware don't seem to play well with overburning.

Like I said in that text, I had to re-enable FHT and OHT in the advanced settings (eeprom settings) in order to get a successful (overburnt) burn.

By enabling FHT you're basically back where you started with the original c4e firmware - with the exception of being able to verify at 12x rather than 8x. You do however lose the ability to burn at 2.4x.

If you're getting bad burns on MKM003 @ 4x with OPC on, it's probably due to the discs themselves (or faulty drive).

Unfortunately, not even all Verbatim discs are created equal. The ones from Singapore always seem to produce the best result but even those can vary a bit. I've seen scans of perfectly flat L0 -> L1 PI/PO levels whereas mine seem to jump from about 5 PI on the 1st layer to about 20 PI on the 2nd layer. I don't get the a massive spike at the LB though which is what I've seen a lot of people complaining about.

Someone posted the below in the c4e chatroom and now it's posted all over the net on xbox forums and like, it's also has president on the c4e website.

<L0pz> is this true? There is a mistake in the burner max fw that probably is the cause for probs with MKM003 media. In the cfw the MKM003-00 is renamed to MKM0a3-00 so that the burner has no correct write strategy for the MKM003 Verbatims (look at Verify Error with iHAS624 B – ImgBurn Support Forum). You can fix the name in the burner max fw reflash and hopefully your problems will be fixed.

<c4eva> l0pz:not true, by design

<L0pz> is this true? There is a mistake in the burner max fw that probably is the cause for probs with MKM003 media. In the cfw the MKM003-00 is renamed to MKM0a3-00 so that the burner has no correct write strategy for the MKM003 Verbatims (look at Verify Error with iHAS624 B – ImgBurn Support Forum). You can fix the name in the burner max fw reflash and hopefully your problems will be fixed.

<c4eva> l0pz:again no, by design, imgsupport lol :)

I'm guessing they got the info from this thread.

What's wrong with people.

Edited by DrunkenNinja

This stuff is like a game of Chinese Whispers. One person says something, another reads it, modifies it slightly or takes it out of context and then tells their version to the next person :)

I never said anything was a 'mistake', I just said what (I believed) was happening because of what had been done.

Yeah, when I read it I was like that's not how it went down at all, anyway I thought at least we can correct that nonsense here.

Anyway as far as I am concerned you both have the "G" in Genius, You have the Best burner on the planet and are a true apps junkie and a c4e is the dude that got M$ banning their own original discs while his burnt discs pass all their checks (If verified correctly).

Edited by DrunkenNinja

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.