Strange but true!

dbminter

I saw this printed in the latest PC World magazine and decided to try it out. It may be strange, but it's true!

PC World tested the idea that placing a keychain remote control for your car against your head transmits the signal further than if you just held it up away from the head. I decided to see for myself. I walked a distance from my car and tested to see if I was far enough away that the remote wouldn't activate the headlights while trying to locate the car. It failed to turn the lights on. So, I held the remote to my head and tried again. Sure enough, as PC World said, the lights came on! :unsure:

I found this to be true a few years ago when I was crossing a supermarket car-park with some friends and realised I'd forgotten to lock the car we'd just gotten out of, turned round and tried to use the car-key-fob remote, which failed cos I was evidently too far away for it to work.

I was about to run back nearer the car to do the deed when a friend said "Just hold it against your forehead - it'll work" .... so I did, and it worked straight away.

I don't like to think about the implications for what must be going on here ... radio waves being amplified and/or being focused into a tight directional beam by the shape of your skull .... :wacko:

I wonder what frequency range these widgets use ... hope it's on the low end.

My guess is the reason this works is the same principle behind how when one stands near a radio, the reception is better than when you step away. The human body is an excellent amplifier because of its contents. Salts and other metals in the blood, the density of bone, and other reasons.

My guess is the reason this works is the same principle behind how when one stands near a radio, the reception is better than when you step away. The human body is an excellent amplifier because of its contents. Salts and other metals in the blood, the density of bone, and other reasons.

Thing is, it seems to be a skull-specific effect. I've tested holding it against other parts of my body :w00t: and can report that only the skull works for me. It's as if there is some kind of parabolic antenna (satellite dish) thing going on with the curved hollow bony chamber. 'Course, we hope it's not actually a hollow chamber, but filled with precious yet squishy stuff which may or may not appreciate any more-than-usually concentrated radio waves :lol:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.