Trying to make bootable Windows 7 disk

FordGT40

My install of Windows 7 Ultimate doesn't have the option in 'Backup and Restore' to create a re install disk.

I studied the 'How to make a Bootable Windows 7' guide on this forum, but can't find the folders that make up Lightning's 'VISTA_INSTALL' source directory.

Where would the equivalent set of files be located on Windows 7 Ultimate? I'm looking for boot, efi, sources, support, upgrade, autorun.inf, bootmgr, setup.exe

Thanks for any help.

I am not sure if I am reading your post correctly but in "Backup and Restore" in the control panel you will find two options in the left column, "Create A System Repair Disc" (which is bootable) and "Create A System Image" The system image mirrors what is on the hard drive at the time of creation and to restore the OS you would boot from the repair disc and in there is an option to use your system image discs. In all cases use a known brand (Sony, Verbatim etc.) name and DVD+R (not rewritable) if your drive supports it.

Your W7 install disc can also be uesed to boot from to make use of your system image disc(s).

I'm looking for a way to make a bootable Windows 7 install disk that will give you a new, clean install of the OS. I don't think the disk created by 'Create a system repair disk' will do that. I think it just repairs the existing OS.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/download-windows-7-iso-official-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-links/ (this takes a while so you may want to download it before bed)

We recommend these over at the HP forum, save the file to the desk top and burn the ISO files to disk and that should do it. Keep in mind that you will need a legitimate product key after 30 days, but that is the same as if you were to buy the disc in the store. If you have a product key untick the box "activate product key" when you install it and when it's all up and running, right click on "Computer" and go to "Properties". At the bottom of that page find "Change Product Key" follow the instuctions to enter your key.

If it's a newer HP computer, some of them have the option to do a minimum OS restore from the recovery manager, this is a much easier way to get rid of all the bloat ware then starting from scratch.

Edited by Haggis Cat

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.