Burn .vob with Chapters and Subtitles

MrPhil

Okay, so let's start with the basic:

Specs: Windows 7 64-bit, ImgBurn 2.5.6.0

DVD type: 4.7 GB DVD-R (Nexxtech)

Region: NTSC (the same as my media)

Media/problem: I own a DVD, but I think the deleted scenes should be added back. I tried to do it by myself, but the soundtrack didn't quite match.

So yesterday, I downloaded the bugger from some fan-edit web-site. This version basically seamlessly incorporates those scenes.

Content of the downloaded media: There are 2 folders: Audio_TS and Video_TS. Inside the audio_TS folder, there's nothing. In the video_ts folder, there are vob files and just about all you can expect inside a regular DVD (the other files are .IFO, I think).

I looked at the .vob files with VLC media player. I was able to allow subtitles from there.

So basically, there's one DVD I've successfully burnt and one I want to burn with more options. Let's call them Media 1 and Media 2.

For Media 1, I've opened ImgBurn, selected mode/build. Then I clicked browse and selected the 2 folders. (Audio/video) Afterwards, I clicked build, calculate, then Write. Result: the DVD runs fine, there is a menu with the option Play and there are chapters. The only problem is that subtitles aren't there anymore. So for Media 2, can anybody tell me how to get ImgBurn to make an option for the subtitles to be turned on/off or, failing that, burn the media with the subtitles always on?

Thank you ;)

NB: By the way, I did not include any log, as the burn itself went quite well.

Addendum: The other files I mentionned (apart from the .vob) are .ifo (which contains the subtitles information) and .bup (backup of the IFO). They were burned on the DVD, so I don't get why I cannot see the option to activate the subs...

What you're talking about is beyond the scope of ImgBurn. It's just burns as-is.

The ability to enable subtitles etc is down to the authoring tool and whatever created the IFO/VOB/BUP files in the first place.

If you can't enable them via the menu system then you can usually do it via the subtitle button on the remote (if you're using software, it'll probably be on a context menu somewhere).

Playing a raw VOB file is not the same as playing a DVD Video disc properly via its IFO files.

If it's just VLC that you're having problems with, try something else... like Media Player Classic - Home Cinema or a proper bit of software like PowerDVD.

As stated:

I looked at the .vob files with VLC media player. I was able to allow subtitles from there.

So no problem with VLC whatsoever.

And I tried to enable subtitles from my remote, but my DVD player seems to think there are none available (and I checked, they definitely are there on the disk).

I've searched for authoring tools and stumbled on DVD Flick. Problem is it won't handle .vob files. Know of any authoring tool that does that?

As stated:

So no problem with VLC whatsoever.

And I tried to enable subtitles from my remote, but my DVD player seems to think there are none available (and I checked, they definitely are there on the disk).

I've searched for authoring tools and stumbled on DVD Flick. Problem is it won't handle .vob files. Know of any authoring tool that does that?

And as I stated, playing the raw VOB file is NOT the same as playing a DVD Video disc properly via its VIDEO_TS.IFO file.

If you play a raw VOB file the player will attempt to locate valid streams in the file by reading its content.

If you play a DVD Video disc properly via its VIDEO_TS.IFO files it'll go by what whatever's mentioned in the IFOs.

So the raw VOBs could contain 8 different subtitles streams and it would still show 0 subtitles if that's what the IFOs say.

If you want to hard code the subs to go on as you wish, you can do it in IfoEdit.http://forum.digital-digest.com/f57/faq-how-set-default-streams-nero-recode-2-a-51158.html

Okay, I do have IfoEdit since yesterday. I don't have Nero Recode though. Any free alternative to that? Or is IfoEdit the alternative? I'm still very new at this, so it is hard for me to figure all this FAQ as it does not seem to adress the problem precisely.

Edit: I read this FAQ over again. Is subpicture the same as subtitles?

And as I stated, playing the raw VOB file is NOT the same as playing a DVD Video disc properly via its VIDEO_TS.IFO file.If you play a raw VOB file the player will attempt to locate valid streams in the file by reading its content.If you play a DVD Video disc properly via its VIDEO_TS.IFO files it'll go by what whatever's mentioned in the IFOs.So the raw VOBs could contain 8 different subtitles streams and it would still show 0 subtitles if that's what the IFOs say.

Sorry if I sounded harsh or anything. I do not quite understand the subtlety between playing a RAW vob and playing-it properly via VIDEO_TS.IFO.

So here's what I have: .vob's that I can play through VLC just fine and activate the closed captions. So this mean vlc is able to find the right streams, those that contains the subtitles I want. If I understand correctly, the IFO is basically the file that allows a DVD player to access the subtitles (one of its functions anyway). I was led to understand that the IFO was the file that contains the subs, but you seem to indicate that the vob is the file that contains the stream (and the subtitles). So the .ifo is the file that has to indicate to the DVD player to use a particular stream. So basically, if I want my DVD's to have subtitles, I need to somehow edit the .IFO, thus adding the option to switch between different streams. Did I get that right?

Edited by MrPhil

Correct, you need to adjust the ifo file for the given vts set.

To be fair though, I'm not sure how you'd end up with a proper set of DVD Video files where the IFO doesn't already match the actual contents of the vob files it belongs to. :/

Ifoedit is what you'd need to use - or perhaps PgcEdit.

Well, basically, the DVD is an extended version of a certain movie and this extended version was made by adding deleted scenes back. This edition was made by a fan. I guess he screwed on the subtitle options or did not need them. I have two .ifo's:

VIDEO_TS.IFO

and

VTS_01_0.IFO

From what I gather (reading Cynthia's FAQ), I have to work on the second one. That about right?

Addendum, indeed, I successfully modified the .IFO. Now I have to understand what is she using Nero Recode 2 for and what other program (free, if at all possible) I can get to do the same. If I understand correctly, I need one such program to tell the .ifo what subtitle stream it should use.

I think it is kind of strange to use this line:

"'(SetSTN) Set Subpicture Stream Nr' and set the 'Stream' to '0' and 'On/Off:'"

So this line means "Enable stream 0", doesn't-it? According to vlc player, there are 4 subtitle tracks. Track number 1 has the closed captions I need. Shouldn't I set 'Stream' to '1'?

Edited by MrPhil

Now I have to understand what is she using Nero Recode 2 for and what other program (free, if at all possible) I can get to do the same.

Old versions of Nero Recode didn't have the function to have a certain stream played by default. That's why I used that approach described in the guide after Nero Recode was done creating the DVD Video. So you do not need that program.

The streams are numbered from 0 to 3 if you have four substreams/(subpictures.

UncasMS wrote a similar guide for PgcEdit.

http://forum.digital-digest.com/f14/change-default-audio-streams-pgcedit-55121.html#post296707

http://download.videohelp.com/r0lZ/pgcedit/

Protocol:

-I start PGCEdit and wait the 15s->Remind me later.

-Then I click on Open DVD - Click on the VIDEO_TS folder

-A window pops-up (unlike stated in UncasMS's guide):

windowpopup.png

Not sure whether I should accept or not.

Let's pretend I chose "Yes".

Uncas says to choose the one with the longest length. there it is: VTST 1 , 1 TTN1 2:32:54

But then, his guide aims to change default language to german and that's not what I aim. Basically, I want to keep the same audio track but add the option to switch between default subpictures (when it's speaking in huttese) and english subpictures, while keeping the same audio track.

Would it work if I added the subpic like that?

subpic.png

Not being funny but it looks like you're just trying to make the player enable a certain stream by default when it starts playing the disc.

In theory, the 'Subtitle' button on the remote would work if the player knew the subtitle streams existed... and it can't auto enable a stream that doesn't exist.

Any chance you could upload the 2 IFO files so we can examine them?

Yeah sure:

http://www.mediafire.com/?vlaj2a9dqo691n3

http://www.mediafire.com/?qly0pijwcw7l6iq

One of these was modified with IfoEdit though. I have a backup of that one. The other one is a backup generated by PgcEdit.

In theory, the 'Subtitle' button on the remote would work if the player knew the subtitle streams existed... and it can't auto enable a stream that doesn't exi

I don't think the player "knows" The subtitle stream exist. But the stream is in the .vob's.

The IFOs say there's (or should be) one English subpicture stream (0x20) in the VOB files.

You can use VobEdit to see if that's actually true.

Not that I'm an expert but I can't see anything that would stop a player's subtitle button from working to display that stream. (there are no UPO's)

To enable that one and only subpicture stream by default I'd open the vts_01_0.ifo in IfoEdit, navigate to VTS_PGCITI -> VTS_PGC_1 and change the 5th Pre Command (right click it -> edit command) so it says 'on' rather than 'off'. It should still be stream 0.

Who knows what'll happen if the subpicture streams in the vobs don't match up with the ifo though!

subpicture stream 0 in the vobs could just be occasional forced ones for foreign (alien) dialogue.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.