What DVD's should I purchase?

MichelleW

Hello - I am new to this whole thing - so please bare with me. :blush:

I 13:18:05 ImgBurn Version 2.0.0.0 started!

I 13:18:05 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 13:18:05 Initialising SPTI...

I 13:18:05 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 13:18:05 Found 1 DVD+RW!

Above is my log - I have tried some different DVD's - Memorex and Fuji - but I get the message that the Device is not ready ( Medium not present) Somewhere I read that someone reccomended Verbatum with mkm dye --?? What is mkm dye? Boy - I am really new to this - does it matter if it is 2x or 4x or 16x?

Can someone tell me what type of DVD's to purchase - I am getting quite a collection here. Ha ha.

Thanks

Michelle

Welcome to IBF Michelle.

Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden are the 2 most highly recommended blanks.

MKM dye is a reference to the media code, which describes the disk. You can see the media code of a disk in the top right of the write mode window.

Regards

Thne get a new drive that supports everything? It will save you so much hasslling and dvd aint expensive atm. Edit: DVD+RW/DVD-Rw is crappy, your better off buying those DVD+R/DVD-R in bulk..as the rewritables isnt going to save you that money, takes forever to burn and once blue-ray/hd dvd comes out they will be useless. If you want to do backup try a protable hard-drive etc?

Edited by davidw89

Hello Michelle. Welcome to the forum.

If your drive doesn't support DVD-R discs there really isn't any reason to buy a new drive unless you're having problems with yours.

Blu told you right when he said Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are the 2 most highly recommended blanks. The only thing I would add to that is to only use Verbatim for your dual-layer burning and only use the DVD+R DL discs. This isn't a problem since you can only use + discs but if you decide to get a burner that does both - and + you still need to use Verbatim DVD+R DL discs and not their DVD-R DL discs because the DVD-R DL discs are horrible.

Don't be afraid to ask question if you can't find the answers on your own. You'll find that the people here are more than willing to help you.

Thank you very much for the info.......... I just ran out to do some errands and brought back some Verbatim DVD+R and I am still getting the message that the Device is not ready (Medium not found)

Hmmmm - I don't know what I should do next. Any suggestions? I am able to back up data onto regular DVD's using Roxio. Any ideas why I am unable to get my computer to accept ImgBurn?

Thanks

Michelle

Does the media ID code come up when you put the blank in Michelle? In the top right corner of the write mode box. Copy and paste all the info that is there.

You might need a firmware update.

08192006134619gi8.png

Regards

I know it's grey. I just selected it with my mouse. :)

A little way down it tells you the "Disc ID" What is yours?

Either way, I suspect you are running on very old firmware. Update it to 10FE here.

Regards

The box is gray and I see the following:

_NEC DVD+RW ND-5100A 1.20 (ATA) Current profile N/A

I tried to select it to copy it to here - but it won't let me.

Because I am not able to select it - and because the above is all that is listed - there is no information about the disc listed.

When I try to update the NEC - it asks me what drive to update - ? The only NEC firmware that I have is for my digital camera. Or - am I looking in the wrong place?

:blush:

Thanks for your patience.

When I try to update the NEC - it asks me what drive to update - ? The only NEC firmware that I have is for my digital camera. Or - am I looking in the wrong place?

@MichelleW,

Just select the NEC DVD burner that you wish to update when the update asks you which drive to update. This is just in case you have multiple drives, or multiple NEC drives and want to update a specific one.

regards,

Peter

I would be totally amazed if Roxio could burn to that media. Your drive can't initialise it and so NO program would even know there's a disc in the drive.

If says 'Medium Not Present' in the statusbar because that's the error message being returned by the drive when ImgBurn queries it to see if it's 'Ready'.

ImgBurn cannot display any info about the drive in that panel on the right (normally it would put a lot more than 2 lines in there) because the drive doesn't support the media you're using.

When it's like that, the box is disabled too - hence why you can't copy / paste the 2 lines that it DOES say.

The firmware update may help if it add support for the media you're using.

Personally I would try to buy some 8x DVD+R as you stand a better chance of that working. You need some discs that have been around for a while!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.