The ever popular I/O error on verity

Artki

Howdy.

This drive/media combo has been working with few errors, 100s of burns, for over a year. Last night, 3 failed data DVD burns in a row. I was able to duplicate the error with re-writeable media so I've been fiddling with that while trying to figure out what's wrong.

Short version. After the burn, the verify fails

----- Log attached - here's the error message that popped up)

I/O Error!

(skipped. jpg attached to reply to this post)

Interpretation: Read (10) - Sector: 417

Sense Area :(skipped - see attached jpg next reply)

Interpretation: L-EC Uncorrectable Error

-----------

I don't get this on shorter burns - less than 2gig or so.

Thought the drive might be dusty/dirty. Pulled it out - couldn't get to the innards but it looked surprisingly clean and non-dusty. Don't have a drive/lens cleaner.

Tried running HPs diagnostics but they wanted a DVD+RW and I only had a DVD-RW. the non-writing parts of the diagnostics worked and I have no trouble reading existing DVDs.

If the drive's broken it's easy to replace. Wanted to check with experienced people before I start replacing part os my computer. I gather Lite-Ons are popular?

dvderror.txt

If it's failing to burn everything, it's probably had it.

As you say you don't have a cleaning disc, try the manual method (carefully!) with one of those cotton bud things dipped in white spirit or something.

You should update to latest version of the program.

I've already told you to put the current version of the program on... but you don't appear to have done so. Please do that so I know what I'm working with. Old versions aren't supported.

You're using cheapo CMC discs so try using half of whatever the max speed is. That would be 8x on the CMC DVD media and 24x on the CDs.

I've already told you to put the current version of the program on... but you don't appear to have done so. Please do that so I know what I'm working with. Old versions aren't supported.

You're using cheapo CMC discs so try using half of whatever the max speed is. That would be 8x on the CMC DVD media and 24x on the CDs.

Ok, updated the version.

Tried the CD at full speed and at 24x

Full speed failed, 24x worked(!) (pretty much same error message as last time so I didn't attach the log)

Burnt the DVD at 8x.

Failed.post-43167-0-93765900-1326229353.jpg

Log attached.

BTW, on upgrading the program. It would be nice if there were a note on the download page suggesting if the user should uninstall/install-new-version or install-over-the-old-version. And, if the first option were better, how to save the settings.

dvd3.txt

Thought I'd try a disc from a new spindle. Different brand name, looks like it's another flavor of CMC.

Same fail.

dvd4.txt

Try and get hold of some proper Verbatim (MCC mid/dye) or Taiyo Yuden (aka Victor JVC) discs.

If the drive still fails with those I'd return it saying it's faulty.

I've been using CMC discs for years. Maybe 1 bad burn in a 100 (I verify every burn). And now I have 5-6 in a row from at least 2 different batches on 2 different drives?

I'll dig up some TY or Verbatim discs but can you think of something else I can check/test?

Sorry, I don't have any other ideas, no.

Burning is an internal feature of a drive (software just provides data). It governs success/failure based on its firmware and the media you're using.

As you've got a LiteOn drive, try doing some disc quality scans (in Opti Drive Control / CDSpeed / DVDInfoPro) on the discs that have failed to verify.

Sorry, I don't have any other ideas, no.

Here's what finally happened.

I noticed the failed verify was always on the same sector (417). A file was being burned there that I really didn't need. Just for kicks, I burned a dvd-rw leaving out 3 small files I didn't need.

It worked.

Next day, I tried making another DVD-R (max speed) using completely different files. the total size was slightly larger than the one that had been failing all the time.

It worked.

A few hours later, I wondered about those 3 files I deleted. I undeleted the original job (the one that failed so many times) which included those 3 files. Burnt to a DVD-r at max speed.

It worked!

I have NO IDEA what the hell was going with all those failures. Haven't tried reinstalling the original drive. I may try that later and tell you what happens if you care.

I ran the the DVD I just burnt throught Nero DiscSpeed. Quickscan gave a quality score of 95 on quick mode. Slow mode had quality 90, PIE 1.53, PIF 0.04.

Maybe the new drive needed to be broken in? Crazy.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.