Backing up burned Japanese Anime

Damned

Hey guys, had a quick question.

I recently managed to burn a lot of my favorite Japanese Anime onto DVD9 media (Singapore Verbatim +DL of course), but I am also interested in making sure that I NEVER have a chance of ever losing it until the day I die.

That being said, I wanted to know exactly what the process was in order to successfully back up the files on the disks, that way, I can reburn them in case the verbatim's fail in the next 40 years. :lol:

I figured it would be as simple as just reading from the disk and copying the contents to a backup drive. However, the files are not in ISO format, they are a bunch of different files in something called VIDEO_TS. The extentions in question are .bup and .vob. I know for the read options IMGburn has a couple different reading options, but they both aim to create an IMG file from the disk, while I'm just looking to backup data.

Maybe I don't need to use IMGburn at all for this? Is it really just as simple as clicking "open files and folders" when I put the disk in the optical drive, highlighting everything, then copying to a backup drive?

Also, something else I was concerned about. I remember my dad telling me something long ago about making copies of a CD starts to degrade the quality of the content on the copies, that the more made, the more the source and the copy itself lose quality. I was wondering if this was true if I were to backup my anime and if there was a way to avoid it.

Thanks for any answers!!

You can either just copy the contents of the disc to an appropriatly named folder on your backup drive using Explorer or use the 'Create Image File From Disc' option in ImgBurn to make a complete image of the disc (an ISO) and save that on your backup drive.

You don't lose quality when copying discs, no. The data is digital so assuming it can be read correctly from the source disc (error correction can/will be used where required - internal to the drive), it'll be faithfully reproduced on the next disc you burn.

The exception to the rule would be Audio CDs where there's no normal error correction available and different drives offset the data in different ways. If Reading + Writing doesn't equal out to an offset of 0 then you'll effectivly lose a tiny bit of data each time you make a copy (and then make a copy of the copy etc).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.