Having trouble creating an iso image of Windows 7 bootable CD

FordGT40

I tried to make an iso image of a Windows 7 install disk, and it didn't end up looking like the image in Lightning's tutorial at all.

Please see the attched screenshot to see what ended up. I used the default location for the 'create an image' option.

How do I end up with an iso image like the one in the 'creating a bootable windows CD" tutorial?

Thanks for any help.

I should add that I tried to open that folder (the one that was over 3GB) and couldn't find anything that looked close to Lightning's Vista_Install folder

post-42396-0-44346800-1328306385.jpg

Edited by FordGT40

I'm not sure I understand what you're doing?

Do you already have a bootable Windows 7 disc or are you trying to make one from scratch?

If you already have one, you just put it in the drive and use ImgBurn's Read mode ('Create Image File From Disc') to create an ISO of it. To me, it looks like you've already done that - hence the 'Windows_7_Ultimate_64.iso' file in your screenshot.

If you don't already have one, you're pretty much out of luck - unless you happen to have a copy of all the required files (with correct folder structure) on your hdd - only then you would try and follow the Windows 7 installation CD guide in the Guides forum.

I'm not sure I understand what you're doing?

Do you already have a bootable Windows 7 disc or are you trying to make one from scratch?

If you already have one, you just put it in the drive and use ImgBurn's Read mode ('Create Image File From Disc') to create an ISO of it. To me, it looks like you've already done that - hence the 'Windows_7_Ultimate_64.iso' file in your screenshot.

If you don't already have one, you're pretty much out of luck - unless you happen to have a copy of all the required files (with correct folder structure) on your hdd - only then you would try and follow the Windows 7 installation CD guide in the Guides forum.

Thanks for your reply.

I already have a W7 bootable DVD. I was trying to make a copy of it as my current version is getting a bit old and scratched...I wanted to make the iso file of it while it was still working.

So if that iso is actually good, do I then just 'build' a DVD using that image?

• 2 weeks later...

Is the .MDS file a part of the original disk, or something that ImageBurn creates in the process of creating the .ISO image?

"They're essentially the same thing.

The MDS is a little info file and ImgBurn will pull the data in from the ISO automatically.

You could live without the MDS but don't delete the ISO "

I don't understand how a 5KB .MDS file can be the same as a 3.5GB .ISO file. I apologise for being a bit thick here, but I'm pretty new to this stuff.

No, the MDS isn't part of the disc.

It can and does contain info about the physical format of the disc - info that's not found in an ISO file and would otherwise be lost.

Obviously they aren't physically the same, that's why I went on to explain that the MDS is a little info file and ImgBurn will pull in the actual data in (i.e. what gets burnt to the disc) from the ISO file.

If you try and load an ISO when an MDS is present, the program may (it depends on the size of the ISO) tell you off and say you should have loaded the MDS (so it could get the physical format info from it).

So when it comes to writing an image (based on MDS/ISO) in ImgBurn, the program knows how to deal with either of them being selected and will burn accordingly.

The guide I linked you to in post #4 tells you to just pick the MDS file if it's present.

You have to determin what speed will produce the best burn in your drive/media/firmware combo.

For that you need to burn the same image at various speeds and do a quality scan of the discs in a capable drive (Lite-ON) and compare them.

Typicaly 8x 12x should be a good burn speed for DVD media.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.