File system used by standalone DVD players

Defenestration

I have a cheap H&B DX-3255 DVD player for when I want to play DivX/XviD files and have noticed that it supports ISO9660 and Joliet for the file manager used when viewing the file structure, but UDF is not supported. I checked this by burning a disc containing lowercase filenames with ISO9660 + UDF, followed by burning the same disc using ISO9660 + Joliet + UDF. The file system of the disc burnt with ISO9660 + UDF was shown with all uppercase names (indicating UDF was not supported), while the disc with ISO9660 + Joliet + UDF was shown with lowercase names (indicating that Joliet was supported).

I was wondering what other makes of DVD players use.

Because of this I will now burn all my discs with ISO9660 + Joliet + UDF, since each file system only uses about 2K when there are not that many files.

Are there any downsides (eg. compatibility problems) to having all three file systems on a disc ?

Edited by Defenestration

Players shouldn't (in theory!) mind if something is present that it doesn't fully understand - i.e. descriptors for filesystems it cannot parse. It won't be looking for them and so even if it finds them, it shouldn't try to decipher them.

It's weird that it won't read UDF for normal files when a player is only required to read UDF for DVD Video and not any other filesystem. Maybe it just parses different filesystems depending on the type of disc inserted.

It might have really basic UDF parsing for DVD Video as it only has to read the VIDEO_TS folder and locate the VIDEO_TS.IFO file. For playing normal files it would have to search all folders / subfolders etc so perhaps that's why it favours Joliet or ISO9660.

I guess that'll teach me to buy a cheapo french player (although to be fair it's much better than the previous Denver DivX DVD player I had) :)

Somehow I don't think a bug report would do any good in this case - the firmware hasn't been updated in ages (even the 3rd party fw's). So..... to make up for the disappointment I'm deciding what else I can report/suggest for IB! (with the added benefit that it will also brighten up your day) :D

PS. I thought IB 2.1 was supposed to be out last weekend :whistling:=))

Edited by Defenestration

PS. I thought IB 2.1 was supposed to be out last weekend :whistling:=))

I was away when the V2 was to be released, It then got put back to a week after i got home.

I was away this weekend and V2.1 was to be released, the weekend is almost upon us......do i detect a bit of a pattern here........ :P If that's the case I'll make sure i go away more often =))=))

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.