Suggestions for great quality/performance Dual Layer Writer

powermax104

Hello there, I'm not sure as to what dual layer drive I should go for?

I am trying to create a Windows 7 backup, but the image is too large to fit onto a DVD.

So here I am looking to upgrade to a Dual Layer writer to achieve such tasks.

Is it worthwhile going for a Blueray Player/Writer or is that complete overkill. I think it might be, although I guess it would be handy for storing all my Photos, videos music etc on just a few BD's?

Any suggestions would be most helpful.

Cheers.

In the Drives section on this forum there are some tests made by LIGHTNING UK! and Cynthia with some drives on different media or go to myce forum, they are specialized in testing the drives and can make recomandations

So here I am looking to upgrade to a Dual Layer writer to achieve such tasks.

Sure you don't really have such a one? More or less all released since 2004 have that feature.

Been using Nec/Optiarc for ages now and I like them. The latest 7280 is a nice one.

I have had success with the Sony/NEC/Optiarc, but, my last one had to be replaced just shortly before a year of use had past. I've also had success with LiteOn drives.

Blu-Ray drives are still relatively expensive and the more prohibitive cost is the price per media now. If you have money to spend for a drive and discs then, by all means, go ahead and get one. :)

True Lite-Ons are nice scanners, but the Program Memory Area Update Failure error is not so nice with them. So I haven't bought any recent ones.

LG's seems also to be nice, they are just tricky to find in my town.

Never came across a Program Memory Area Update Failure on LiteOns before.

I got turned off to LG drives after the IOMega rebanded model I had. It wasn't burning properly to discs. Randomly, discs burnt by it would play back with skips and pauses in the audio and video on the Playstation 2. Reburning those discs on a different drive, using the skipping discs as the source for the image, produced burns that did not skip. Plus, there's the old joke that LG stands for Lucky Good meaning it's lucky good IF it works right. :wink: I did eye a Blu-Ray burner from LG that was in a Best Buy in my town. The only other one I've found was a Memorex external. And Memorex is even worse than LG! :lol:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.