BD-R: 12219392 sectors versus 11826176

nstgc

Apparently there are 12219392 sectors on a BD-R (or at least mine by Optical Quntum) which, assuming 25GB and 2028 kB per sector, makes sense. However it seems as if we are only suppose to burn to 11826176 sectors of that. Is it okay to burn to all 12219392 sectors?

You can use whatever the drive reports is available.

The 122* figure sounds like the typical size of a BD-R disc.

The 118* figure sounds like the typical size of a BD-R disc that's been formatted with spare areas enabled, thus enabling the drives defect management.

Defect management? That sounds important since I'm trying to use DB-R's for archiving. I just did some Googling, but I haven't found anything really concrete as to what it does. The best I found is that ~5% of the disk is used in case of some sort of error in which case the data is remapped to that location. It doesn't seem like it should be like how a HDD will remap damaged sectors elsewhere though since BD-Rs are ROM, which I find desirable. That leads me to think it occurs during the actual burn process in case the media is screwy. I haven't had any coasters so far so if thats the case then it doesn't matter.

What does the defect management do and how does it use these extra sectors?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.