Question about seamless option

OpTicaL

I've read Burning DVD Video files directly to double layer media with ImgBurn guide and it had no information about seamless. I did a search (for title) on seamless and nothing came up. I have a faint impression about what the seamless option does so correct me if I'm wrong.

Does seamless make the layer break not noticable when it jumps to the 2nd layer? Therefore it's called seamless?

Will checking this option make my disc seamless, because I've read a few thread about people seeing artifacts when it gets to the layer break when they set it to seamless.

Does seamless make the layer break not noticable when it jumps to the 2nd layer? Therefore it's called seamless?

Will checking this option make my disc seamless

Yes and yes.

Artifacts are not a function of whethere a cell is seamless or not - it is a function of the MPEG2 encoding.

Regards

Will checking this option make my disc seamless
Yes and yes.

Can I clarify please... does this mean, if the Seamless option is checked and the cell selected for the layer break doesn't have the seamless playback flag set (i.e. SPLIP=No), then ImgBurn will set the seamless flag when it builds the image OR does this option only have an effect when a cell with SPLIP=Yes is selected for the layer break position? (and ImgBurn won't change it to No, which I assume it would do under normal circumstances)

or both scenarios produce a seamless layer break? :huh:

Edited by Nexus

• 13 years later...

How good is the seamless option when actual play back occurs? Is it significantly more unnoticeable than a regular cell break? Thanks.

One thing I've noticed is that whenever I've had "The end of the world" popup, I just used another app to burn it. I never really understood why ImgBurn wouldn't go and burn the DVD anyway. This is most needed when using ImgBurn in conjunction with another app like DVD RB Pro etc... When you set it to automatically burn with ImgBurn, you have to be present if it's a dual layer because of the break. Then if you get that "end of the world" popup you're done. 

@LIGHTNING UK!  Hi. Have you ever considered fixing that so it'll just burn the DL anyway? Or is checking the seamless option the answer? There has to be a cell break for seamless to be implemented anyway correct?

I see no real undesirable result when the DL is burned with or without "the end of the world" popup using something else. Thanks.

Edited by dr_ml422
Misspell

On your first point, basically, from what I've seen, the seamless option is only needed if you don't want a pause in the audio and video playback at the layer break.  Depending on where the layer break is, it may not be noticeable.  The original manufacturers usually try to place the layer break at some point where it won't be as noticeable.  However, it generally is quite noticeable and annoying.

I took the advice of the DVDVob2MPG author and have been converting several DVD movies into one .mpg file with all audio, subs, etc... You get continuous playback at the DVD level. This is also my tool for getting all the vobs from a VTS folder together so that after converting to say .mkv, .mp4, etc... I get one file and not 5 separate ones. Hence the apps that merge these when needed mostly do a good job when all audio, subs, video, have same specs. Which imo defeats the purpose of merging. I spent on 2 commercial apps thinking the merge was my answer without further reviewing the limitations. So basically I stick to my free app after converting to .mpg to get a whole single output.

Even MakeMKV which is free and does a helluva job with either DVDs or Blurays, has that limitation where the output is several .mkv files. Though they do tend to have all the same specs they can be merged, but not everything comes over like the subs. If you're into Bluray it'll do the job of creating an exact .mkv file, though no encoding, so imo just better to use any of the known goodies and then if one wants, encode it with another known goodie.

That break is annoying! Sometimes it's hardly visible. If the total length is say no more than 7GBs, then I use DVD-RB Pro which is the best I've used to transcode to DVD-5.

I'm not updating my ConvertXToVideo until everything is ironed out. Mainly HEVC support.

One way to remove stray layer breaks, though it doesn't always work, is to use DVDShrink.  It can remove most, but not all, layer breaks and you can choose no compression if you want a "1:1."  (It's still not entirely one to one because a.) the layer breaks are taken out and b.) there's is some conversion that goes on even if no compression is chosen.)

I use Handbrake to convert DVD/BD to containers.  It can retain things like subtitles and audio streams, however, it doesn't do it automatically.  You have to remember each time to choose to add all subtitle/audio streams.  And it's free.  Just make sure to use MKV when converting from BD because some subtitles in BD will always be converted into hard, burned in subtitles on AVI because of some kind of stupid limitation in AVI.

VidCoder is the easy blood brother to Handbrake. Yes it does a great job, though the rip has to come first. Even with Handbrake, Vidcoder, if there's more than one title, or even separate vob files, it'll produce as many .mp4, .mkv, etc...

You're old school for sure huh! Avi? It is still popular for w/e reason. Though after seeing the quality, smallest sizes, and the amount of audio, subtitles that .mkv and HEVC produce, it's almost impossible to use anything else. 

What I haven't done yet is burn a .mpg file to a DVD and see how it goes, if it'll play on a DVD player. It should. For a real clean rip outside of DVDFab, I use the time tested oldie 4Me, along with the predecessor to ImgBurn and Shrink. Even if the layer break is taken out or reduced, when or if you burn to DVD-9, another one has to be made, I think.

The problem with MKV that is not present in AVI is when you try to edit MKV with AVIDeMux.  When MKV's are loaded, it can take up to 20 seconds, each time it's loaded, to process some kind of frame collection, I forget what it's called.

I actually use MP4, and, well, I'm man enough to admit it.  I made a mistake when I said AVI.  I meant to say MP4.  :blush2:

As for the layer breaks, I was talking about DVD-5.  Yes, even though they're not needed on DVD-5, layer breaks can be present from left over, sloppy authoring.

Yes, if you're doing extra editing/authoring then everything changes. I have no problem with .mp4, though it has its limitations as well. Audio is limited I think to one track. I think not sure. Also, if using aac which is the preferred audio encoder with .mp4, you really have to know how to distribute the bitrate to get a really nice and loud playback. Also, aside from MPC HC, etc... not too many receivers do aac playback that well, especially 5.1 and above. Hence it's one reason I keep the .mp4 that are great, and convert the rest to .mkv with AC3. I've tested countless of each, and the AC3 to me is clearer and louder. It's all personal preference of course. Remember, there's always a reason why there's something new embraced. It's not always better, though what I'm referring to is mostly the new HEVC method. There's a great guide over at http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/VidCoder_Tutorial_page2.html

regarding the VidCoder handbrake blood brother which breaks down the whole aac audio option. Your free to check it out. After using VidCoder it's almost improbable you'll continue with Handbrake. Everyone agrees Handbrake is a pita to tinker with.

Even if for now I only play my files on my PC using my HDTV speakers, I keep the 5.1 audio if it's included in the original DVD etc... just in case I upgrade to nice sound system. I'll be ready with the source.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.