Strange Issue with New Verbatim DVDs - Won't Read With Full File Project

kxkvi

Hi guys.

Last night, I ran into a really strange issue in the course of using ImgBurn to write a file archive

project to some DVDs. I don't think this is really an ImgBurn issue or bug, yet I seek to understand

what is going on.

I have been using Verbatim DVDs for a long time. Generally, they turn out to be Ritek products,

and I've had great success with them

Last night, I attempted to burn a set of files to DVD+R. I wanted 2 copies, so I selected that

option in ImgBurn. The project consists of 858 files, and totals just under 4.4 GB. In this

case, ImgBurn reported that there would be about 5 MB of unused space on the DVD, so I

was just sneaking in under the wire.

I only had one Verbatim (Ritek) disk left, so I had to open a new Verbatim spindle of 100.

The first DVD, the Ritek, burned and verfied just fine, and no issues were observed. At that

point, ImgBurn prompted me to insert the 2nd DVD.

When I tried to burn the second DVD, the burn process seemed to run just fine.

However, when it came time to verify, ImgBurn couldn't read the disk. I thought it

was just a fluke, and started the process again with another DVD. The results were

the same. Imgburn could not read the disk after burning it.

After much frustration and trial-and-error, I finally found out that if I reduced the total

size of the project by about 20 MB, this issue no longer occurred, and the disk verified

just fine. This is repeatable.

Come to find out, the new Verbatim DVDs are not Riteks. Instead they are made by

Mitsubishi Chemical Company. I have no past experience with their products.

After all of this fiddling around and coaster-burning, I'm left wondering what exactly

is occurring here, and would like to hear from someone more experienced with

these types of issues. Why would a change in disk manufacturer cause this

type of symptom?

My burner is a Lite-On. The DVDs are 16x, but I usually burn at 8x or 4x to get

a solid burn. I'm using ImgBurn 2.5.7.0 under Windows XP.

Does this behavior sound familiar to anyone?

Kind regards,

Thomas Eifert

Wisconsin, USA

Verbatim don't normally use anything other than Mitsubishi dyes on their discs. If you've ended up with Ritek dye then you probably have fakes or some 'value' ones.

The Mitsubishi dye is the one to go for.

If you read the pink box up the top you'll see that we want you to post a log (showing the problem) :chair: It tells us everything (for the most part) we need to know and it saves you writing loads of stuff.

If you've ended up with Ritek dye then you probably have fakes or some 'value' ones.

I believe I got them from Newegg. They were not in the normal "retail" packaging.

Still, they've served me well.. never a single coaster.

If you read the pink box up the top you'll see that we want you to post a log (showing the problem).

Fair enough. When I get home this evening, I'll see if the log exists. If not, I'll burn another

coaster to produce one, and will post it here.

Regards,

Thomas

The program saves the log automatically.

Hi lightning.

Yes, I know where the log is.. I've seen it before. I wasn't sure if I'd disabled that function, so

I had to check.

I've attached the rather lengthy log as a file. As you will see, the burn with the Ritek went

fine. After ImgBurn started the verify operation on the Mitsubishi disk, the log window just

hung at "waiting for device to become ready". The burner entered an endless seek cycle,

during which I could hear mechanical activity at regular intervals from within the drive.

After about two minutes of that activity, I hit the Abort button. The same scenario applies

to subsequent burn/verify attempts with the Mitsubishi disks.

See what you make of it.

Regards,

Thomas

Imgburn.log

There's a newer firmware available that you might like to try.

http://www.firmwarehq.com/Lite-On/SHW-160P6S/files.html

After that, it's probably just a case of trying to clean the drive with a cleaning disc - it is getting on a bit now and really shouldn't be having problems with 'MCC-004-00' media.

That said, if you don't already have a cleaning disc, don't bother buying one. You can pretty much buy new drives for the same cost! (Depending in where you shop for said items)

Thanks. I did the firmware update. Interestingly, it didn't seem to be available from Lite-On's

web site.

I did some further testing. As of now, I have 3 usable burns and 4 Mitsubishi coasters.

For what it's worth, I ran Nero's CD/DVD Speed quality test on the usable burns. I ran it

from both of the DVD drives in my system, and they both report roughly the same number

of errors occurring in the same places on the disks. None of them got a very good score.

I don't know what's happening at Verbatim, but the news never seems to be very good.

I just had to return two of three Verbatim USB flash drives that I ordered through Newegg.

One was unusable right out of the package, and the other failed within a week.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Thomas

Just a follow-up post to the above. I've been seeing about a 75% success rate with the

Mitsubishi DVDs. For whatever reasons, my Lite-On burners really like the Ritek media,

and I've had such great success with them that I'm tempted to order some more.

On the flip side, the Lite-Ons don't like Mitsubishi, nor do they seem to like Moser-Baer India.

I guess the best advice is to stick with what works best. I'm hoping that the Riteks will hold

their data over a span of at least a few years.

Enjoy the day.

Thomas

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased two of these online today. I don't know much about them, but they

were cheap, and I've pretty much had it with the Lite-On products. I have three

of their drives sitting in a pile, and they all had the same failure mode; failure to

eject due to stretched tray ejection drive belts.

I looked the new burner up on the Samsung web site. One of the recommended

media is Mitsubishi.

The drives will probably arrive on Thursday. I'll burn some more of the Mitsubishis

with them and report back with the results.

Regards,

Thomas

SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner SATA Model SH-222BB/BEBE - OEM

Type: DVD Burner
DVD+R: 22X
DVD-R: 22X
CD-R: 48X
Model #: SH-222BB/BEBE
Item #: N82E16827151244
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

Now: $13.99
Free Shipping

I looked the new burner up on the Samsung web site. One of the recommended media is Mitsubishi.

Verbatim Americas, LLC is a US company that markets storage media and flash memory products. It is a subsidiary of Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Corporation of Japan and is based in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Go with the ones that have the AZO labelled on the packages. Others can be "cheap" ones. (Not the genuine Verbatim dye).

Go with the ones that have the AZO labelled on the packages. Others can be "cheap" ones. (Not the genuine Verbatim dye).

Hi Cynthia.

Thanks for the tip. I'll remember to do that whenever I purchase them in person.

Generally, I order them online, so there's no way for me to inspect the package.

However, going forward, I will look for a reference to this in the item's description.

Regards,

Thomas

SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner SATA Model SH-222BB/BEBE - OEM

DVD+R: 22X
DVD-R: 22X
Model #: SH-222BB/BEBE
Item #: N82E16827151244

Now: $13.99
Free Shipping

The drives arrived a day early! I installed one in my primary machine immediately.

I managed to produce four successful burns in a row with the Verbatim (Mitsubishi)

DVD+R media. I hope this isn't beginners luck, because I'm starting to become more

hopeful.

I'll say this for the new drive; it certainly is quiet. That old Lite-On sounded like a

freight train roaring down the high sierras.

I'll post back if anything changes. Thanks for all of the help.

Regards,

Thomas

The Samsungs are working out great! Not a single coaster yet. Glad I made the

jump from Lite-On.

Since you-know-who had another special this weekend, I ordered a couple of

these drives as well. I just can't resist a decent price plus free shipping to boot.

I'll let you know how they work out.

Sony Optiarc 24X DVD Burner, Bulk Package Black SATA Model AD-7280S-0B - OEM
DVD+R: 24X
DVD-R: 24X
Model #: AD-7280S-0B
Item #: N82E16827118067
Now: $17.99
Free Shipping

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.