Weird drive behavior: tray closes when I remove disc!

dbminter

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be. I shredded the last bad one but I'll try to remember to run a scan on the next one that fails. But, I don't have many of them left, so, it may never crap out again.

BTW, this is the 2nd time now that when I've clicked on a link in an e-mail letting me know that a reply was posted to one of my posts, that it returned a 404 error.

The fact that the USB burns don't seem to crap out, though, makes me wonder if they just happen to be bad discs only each time as I use them in the SATA drive. :unsure: It's always possible, of course; everything is where I'm concerned! :lol:

Turns out I had 2 discs left. One burned without crapping out during Verify. So, that leaves, let me see, my college education should be useful for this one :smartarse: 1 left! :albert: It's burning right now, so, we'll see.

Actually, after thinking about it a little bit, I may just switch entirely to using the USB drive. There are advantages to it. You don't have to crack open the PC case whenever the drive needs replacing. Since it's on the USB port, if the SATA HD starts thrashing, it shouldn't interfere with the USB burning the image because you wouldn't have a SATA burner and an SATA HD attached and in use. Unless it would cause a problem reading the image to send data to the drive. Which it may, I don't know.

There would be one disadvantage that I see. The USB drive is slower on Verifies than an SATA one is. But, I may sacrifice some speed on Verify to get the other benefits. I'm already sacrificing some speed using Lite-On's because they don't write at 8x immediately to 8x DVD+RW. They write first at 6x and then after about 2 minutes write at 8x.

The last one failed! :doh: So, I'll get a disc quality scan ready. It's scanned in the same drive that burned it.

Apparently, there is no attach option for Chat. So, I just attached it to a message sent to you.

Well, now I've gotten it on a DVD+RW!

I 11:51:29 Verifying Track 1 of 1... (MODE1/2048, LBA: 0 - 1710079)

W 11:51:39 Failed to Read Sectors 160 - 191 - Reason: L-EC Uncorrectable Error

W 11:51:49 Failed to Read Sector 160 - Reason: L-EC Uncorrectable Error

E 11:52:06 Failed to Read Sector 160 - Reason: L-EC Uncorrectable Error

E 11:52:06 Failed to Verify Sectors!

E 11:52:08 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:00:37

That's it! I'm switching to using the USB drive exclusively as my primary burner. :angry:

Actually, I'm thinking it's the disc in this case. :) I fully erased it in the USB and tried to write the same image as before. But, it's stalling at each step, like Terminating Auto Insert Thread and Locking Drive For Exclusive Access...

Yeah, Verify failed on the USB, too. Of course, the story of my life! :rolleyes: It just HAPPENS to occur at the time I'm trying to debug some Verify issues with those Verbatims.

No, something IS up. I had a 2nd disc burned in the new SATA burner crap out at the start of a Verify. So, it's not writing to discs correctly, it seems. Thus, it ruins them and even the USB drive can't write to them.

Just burned one of these Ricoh 8x DVD+RW in the USB LiteOn before trying to burn it in the SATA 2012 LiteOn. No Verify crap out. So, there's something up with my SATA drives. I'll just stick to using the USB drive, then. It's easier.

Well, now it's the USB scanners that are acting up! VueScan previews correctly until you resize the scanning field. Then, the brightness shoots up to intolerable levels. This happens on both of my scanners, even after restoring Windows to an image where the scanners worked. I even disconnected them from the USB hub and plugged them directly into the USB ports on the case.

So, I'll swap back in the 32 bit machne I replaced with this Dell and see how it goes. To be honest, I'm not satisfied with this Dell. Yes, it's 64 bit, but, working inside the case is a chore! You have to remove the graphics card to access the SATA ports on the mobo. Yes, I can boot from flash drives, but the bezel makes installing DVD drives a chore! You can't easily access the eject holes and you can't see the lights on the drive.

I'd rather have something that works and go backwards than go forward with this! :angry: This, of course, is all dependent on whether swapping back in the 32 bit machine fixes the scanner and SATA drives ruining discs.

Actually, just sussed out the scanner issue. For whatever fucking reason, it only happens on ONE particular image I was trying to scan. I scanned what I had previously scanned last week and it scanned fine. But, whenever I try to get that one particular image scanned, it happens.

Still doesn't fix my SATA problem, but, I can live with just using the USB burner.

It was the particular images I was trying to scan. It must be the reflective material that was on the image. But, for whatever reason, it wasn't too bright UNTIL I moved the focus of the scan to set a smaller field for scanning. I don't understand it, though, as my Rhino Transformers boxed sets are also made of a reflective material and they scanned fine. Weird. :unsure:

Also discovered something else about Lite-Ons. Like with 8x DVD+RW, 6x DVD-RW does not immediately start at 6x. It starts at 4x for like 2 minutes then jumps up to 6x to finish the burn.

Funny thing :lol: I got a maximum write rate of 6.2x! :o I've gotten things like 8.1x on 8x DVD+RW, but, I don't think I've ever gotten a .2 on a max rated write rate. :unsure:

There's definitely something up with my SATA drives. Read rates in both SATA Lite-Ons are between 2x to 5x max whereas on the USB Lite-On, I'm getting about 10x max. So, I'm going to restore the June 1st backup and see if that improves my SATA experience at the moment.

Well, that didn't work; like I fucking expected it to work! It's a hardware issue. Either the mobo or the SATA cable. And, I'm not about to crack open the case yet again, remove the video card to get at the SATA cables, and try swapping those out. On June 1 and after, I got high read speeds on the SATA drives. Restoring to June 1 did NOTHING to fix the problem, so, it's nothing I can fix. I'm invested in this Dell for 2 years, at least, so, I'll just have to use my USB drive as my burner and reader.

Well, I went into my BIOS settings and used the F9 to reset to load optimized defaults. Right now I've got an 10x read 4 minutes 30 seconds into reading the disc. This is looking good! :D I'll know more when I get in some more of those Verbatims and try them out.

Sometimes, I learn from my mistakes. :wink: Like when I had a tech look at some problems in 2010. He fixed it by resetting the BIOS to defaults and swapping around the SATA cables on the drives. Someone here had told me, also, to reset my BIOS settings for a similar issue, but, I didn't do it. :( So, this time, I tried learning from my mistakes :lol: and tried resetting the BIOS since it was another SATA issue, like in 2010.

Yes, in fact, BIOS updates are the only real updates that aren't over a year old for this machine. I bookmark the updates site for new updates to visit on the 2nd of every month. :)

Yes, the SATA controller was still in AHCI mode. I didn't know anything about that setting, so, I left it alone! :wink:

Got a 404 error trying to view the thread update in the e-mail. The link was: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.phpshowtopic=20104&st=40#entry141751

Just burned an 8x DVD+RW that completed its Verify and didn't destroy the disc, so, that's good news. I believe whatever was happening caused the drive to physically destroy the DVD-R's and DVD+RW's that were failing. Hence the large red areas on the PIPO scans. I won't know until I can burn several in a row. That won't be until I can order them on the 26th, which will take about a week to arrive.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.