Start the burning somewhere other than the beginning

nstgc

I'm certain I remember this being mentioned somewhere, but I can't find an option that allows this in the settings, the guide (for settings), nor in the threads I thought I saw it mentioned.

My drive seems to have problems reading the first few GB of a BD-R for some reason. Since the beginning few kB are the most important as they include the filing table and what not (without which the disk is empty), I would like to avoid burning to these sectors. I believe it is somehow linked to defect magement, but I'm not sure.

You always have to start burning at the beginning.

Include a dummy file in the root directory if you want to push everything towards the end of the disc. The file system will always come before file data though... but if it's unreadable and you're using UDF 2.50+, there will be a 2nd copy of that data at the end of the disc.

To be honest though, if you're having to resort to such things then you should just change your drive/media and get one/some that works correctly.

I'm not having problems per se, but rather trying to avoid future problems. I haven't actually been unable to read that area, it just slows down significantly. So far I've burned 46 disks and haven't had a single coaster and the ones I burned back in January haven't rotted yet.

But I feel a lot better knowing that there are two copies of the filing system so long as I am using UDF 2.50 (which I am).

Does this extra copy of the data mean that the drive will be able to recognize the disk as having something on it ever if the beginning of the disk is screwed up. I had that problem with some DVD+Rs. I don't know if it was the filing system that was messed up or if there is some special section of the disk that says "hey I have data on me". This is of course important since if the disk isn't recognized as having data on it, DVDisaster is useless.

Well you'd expect the inner area of the disc to read slower than the outer areas. Most drives ramp up their speed as they move outwards. For DVD, they might start at 6x and build up to 16x.

There's is nothing 'written' before the file system and its descriptors. If something important like the table of contents gets destroyed then that's what makes a disc look blank - and there's nothing you can do about it.

Is the table of contents also duplicated like the filing system?

[edit] As for the slower read, I mean that it suddenly jumps from slow to what I would expect in a way that's reminiscent of damaged media. I don't think its the disks though since I have this problem when reading DVDs as well. The inside of my old DVDs, when read with this drive, were read very slowly and it was obvious that it was trying to read the sectors several times. Its very unusual for a disks to consistently have problems with the inner sectors.

Edited by nstgc

That stuff is beyond the scope of ImgBurn (the drive takes care of it) so I don't really concern myself with it. Your best bet is to Google for such answers.

I very much doubt anything is duplicated. There are set areas on discs where info is written (again, automatically by the drive and nothing to do with the software). I'm not sure if the TOC is actually recorded as a whole or just generated on the fly by reading other data. Plus these things usually change between formats - so DVD (and probably BD) behaves differently to CD.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.