Strange BD-R DL problem

Neil Wilkes

Hello.

Not sure what happened here, but it seems very odd indeed.

BluRay project is compiled, anda test disc was written to a BD-RE DL disc at about 0.9x speed.

The burner is a Plextor, optimized for Sony media according to plextor.

The BD-RE DL disc performed flawlessly, so I went to write a standard BD-R DL disc to send to the client for approval.

I was very surprised to see it steaming along at 4x, but thought nothing of it until I tested the disc before posting - and boy, am I glad I did because one of the menu screens that is flawless on the BD-RE DL disc starts playing normally on the RE but suddenly starts outputting static instead of audio.

What happened?

I have looked into slowing the burner down, but it tells me it can "only do 4x with this media".

IMGburn version is the latest & greatest.

Media is Sony BD-R DL, 1x-4x rated so IMGburn is tooling along at maximum speed & this is apparently not a good thing.

How can I over-ride IMGburn's insistence on running flat out, please, as right now it is unusable because of this problem and given the cost of these discs in the UK I cannot afford to make coasterswhen I know full well the image is correct!

Any help would be wonderful as I am stumped here

The drive controls the speeds, not the program. The program can only request a speed the drive says it supports - anything else will simply be ignored by the drive (and it'll go with the closest 'supported' speed).

If both discs burnt and verified ok, the data on both is identical - so there's nothing more you can really expect of the program. The PC that burnt the disc should be able to read it just fine and you shouldn't have a problem playing what's on it. How the burnt discs will behave in other players is anyone's guess.

Hi - and thank you for the extremely fast response.

The problem is with what is actually on the disc. It is possible it was a duff disc, and it is also possible it is a duff burner (I have raised a supportticket with Plextor about this one and am awaiting their response). What is hapening is truly bizarre.

Disc was authored with Sony's DoStudio, and the BD-RE DL disc written (after compiling, hitting the "Burn" option in DoStudio automatically launches IMGburn) is perfect.

Yet on one of the menus, with the BD-R DL disc, I get static insteadof audio where on the RE DL disc it is flawless.

I've just written a second disc, and am currently running all the quality checks using PLEXtools 1.3.1 (latest version) and the burner is likewise on the latest firmware revision.

What I do not understand is why the same disc image is giving me correct playback on the BD-RE disc, but static on the BD-R disc. It basically means I cannot trust the thing, and before any reference discs are sent out with thereplication BDCMF image I have to check every single stream on it as I have had this problem once, and cannot afford it happening again. The player is not a cheap one - it's an Oppo BDP-83SE unit.

It seems daft for Plextor to make a drive that will not write BD-R DL discs at anything other than the maximum 4x rate as the discs are set for 1x to 4x and according to my media suppliers (ProTape) there is no such thing as a BD-R DL disc that will write faster than 4x.

The media is Sony branded, from a reputable supplier so should not be counterfeit - is there an application that will tell me who really made the blanks??

AGain, thank you for the rapid reply. You guys rock!

Sony has a product that calls up ImgBurn?! I didn't know that!

So is it burning the disc on the fly? Maybe you'd be better off just making an image - at least then you know nothing else can go wrong/change between burns on a BD-RE DL and a BD-R DL.

Of the 2 discs you're talking about here, do they actually play ok on your PC or does the BD-R DL also play static on that?

Sony has a product that calls up ImgBurn?! I didn't know that!

So is it burning the disc on the fly? Maybe you'd be better off just making an image - at least then you know nothing else can go wrong/change between burns on a BD-RE DL and a BD-R DL.

Of the 2 discs you're talking about here, do they actually play ok on your PC or does the BD-R DL also play static on that?

I don't use a software player - too unreliable as a rule.

I'll check though & see what happens in TMT5.

EDIT - seems okay on the latest BD-R DL disc. Cannot check the known faulty one as I already binned it......so will test the current one in the hardware player & we shall see.......perhaps it was a duff disc, or the burn process got interrupted or something.

Memo to self - disable all network access whilst writing these puppies!!

FWIW it surprised me that NetBlender's DoStudio called IMGburn too. Not that I mind.....

Edited by Neil Wilkes

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.