What does SPLIP stand for?

Takeshi

I've used ImgBurn 2 to burn five DL DVDs all successfully using Pioneer DVR111D and Verbatim media. Thanks for the program! :thumbup:

I know you're supposed to choose the layer break when SPLIP is NO, but what's SPLIP? I can't find any info here or in Google.

I should add that I've found it every helpful as reference, when the original DVD is available, to look at where the layer break is, in Mode>Verify. Then compare this with the choice(s) given during Build.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This seamless playback at the layerbreak is experimental. You do see it occasionally on commercial DVDs, esp superbit.

If your player(s) support it, it is good to use as it makes the layer break totally seamless.

Regards

• 4 weeks later...

So, SPLIP shoould be NO which I only guess since it was rated higher but now I think I know what it mean BUT if a .IFO is available they seem to rated excellent as well yet the SPLIP flag is N/A or something. Am I still OK on a non-seamless player if O use that option. Also, what a LU ???

Indeed, 'SPLIP = No' means the cell is already marked as 'non seamless'. This is typical of the layerbreak cell.

If it's saying N/A, that means the layer break item you're looking at is probably the start of a file (so it would say the filename in the VTS column).

LU stands for Language Unit. If the layer break would being the *_0.VOB file, that means it's part of a menu.

The IFO data for those areas is broken down into LU's AND THEN PGC's (per LU). Normal IFO data for (non menu) VOB data is just broken down into PGC's.

The seamless options do not apply to items when SPLIT = N/A.

If you ever examine an IFO in IfoEdit you'll probably see what I mean.

Actually, I've noticed some of the original DVD's layer breaks are set at SPLIP=YES. Just an observation. But I'd use NO when building.

If you have no problem playing those DVDs past the layer break, why wouldn't

you want to use the seamless layer break option? It's becoming more common.

All SuperBit titles use it. This includes stuff like Closer, Panic Room, Adaptation,

Punch-Drunk Love, and other DVDs that are ONLY available as SuperBit. Many

Criterion DVDs use seamless layer break, as I've noted - Naked, Videodrome,

Naked Lunch, Bad Timing, The Man Who Fell To Earth, Fear and Loathing in Las

Vegas. Also, some Manga DVDs, like Ninja Scroll: 10th Anniversary.

I've never heard about people having problems with these titles. Most will not

notice any layer change. It will play smoothly, as it should. If you do seamless

layer break, I suggest using PGC Edit also. Edit the main movie's PGC to take

out any cell commands before the layer break. They can cause your player to

pause or even lock up if they aren't removed. I think they force the player to

empty its cache, even if the layer is flagged as seamless joint.

Well, it's nice not to have it. First time I experienced a LB pause I took the DVD back! Copped it again and finally read the fine print on the cover. After that, I became an anti-LB crusader!

Another close Grand Final mate

Regards

Well, it's nice not to have it. First time I experienced a LB pause I took the DVD back! Copped it again and finally read the fine print on the cover. After that, I became an anti-LB crusader!

Another close Grand Final mate

Regards

It also seems to depend on the player. On some, I've seen no indication of the layer break. But, the Playstation 2, proving yet again, as if it needed any, that it's a pretty shitty player :horse::lol: all but stops the DVD to play a little tune: "HERE'S THE BREAK!"

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.