I/O Error

drstratts

We are talking about different things. I probably used the wrong terminology. By "full system restore" I do not mean the "going back in time restore". My system did not come with any CDs. Somehow they have secreted the operating software to an untouchable spot on the hard drive. When they do the "full systme restore" everything currently on the hard drive is erased save for this originating spot on the hard drive which contains the software the computer was delivered with. Once done all is new. A new beginning.

We are talking about different things. I probably used the wrong terminology. By "full system restore" I do not mean the "going back in time restore". My system did not come with any CDs. Somehow they have secreted the operating software to an untouchable spot on the hard drive. When they do the "full systme restore" everything currently on the hard drive is erased save for this originating spot on the hard drive which contains the software the computer was delivered with. Once done all is new. A new beginning.

Doing what you did is the same as using a rescue disc, it's just sitting on the HDD, I think HP and Compaq are big on this.

I am trying to back up my hard drive because Dell is insisting I do this "full system restore" before they will replace my burner. I have files on my hard drive I am trying to save. I have a lap top running on XP hooked up to my desk top with a network cable. Network cable enters the desk top at the port for the internet connection. After this I do not know what to do. The two computers do not seem to recognize each other. The desk top does not indicate the lap top as a place to send files to. My thanks in advance for any help you could give me.

I am trying to back up my hard drive because Dell is insisting I do this "full system restore" before they will replace my burner. I have files on my hard drive I am trying to save. I have a lap top running on XP hooked up to my desk top with a network cable. Network cable enters the desk top at the port for the internet connection. After this I do not know what to do. The two computers do not seem to recognize each other. The desk top does not indicate the lap top as a place to send files to. My thanks in advance for any help you could give me.

To do a direct connection with an ethernet cable, you can not use a straight "patch" cable. You will need to get a "crossover" cable, which I believe differs in that the receive connector on one end is connected to the send connector on the second end. This is analagous to a null modem for serial port transfers. This allows the conputers to interface correctly, though you'll have to fiddle with the TCP/IP settings to get it to work, or use the network settings wizard.

Another option is to put a router/gateway (I assume a hub would work also) between the two computers using regular patch cables.

Another option: physically remove the hard drive from the desktop and temporarily attach in another computer or in a USB (don't trust firewire drives with Windows XP) enclosue and copy then to the other computer temporarily or burn directly from the attached drive.

Edited by fordman

fordman is right - get a crossover cable. Then plug it in to both PCs and they will be automatically networked.

Simply transfer the files from one HD to the other. Very very quick.

You can make the cable or buy one for a few bux.

Regards

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.