Write speeds in log did not agree with IBG data

rcubed

LUK,

Not sure why this happened.

I did the following burn of a backup from an ISO output file from Shrink. The resultant write speeds listed

in the log do not agree with the ibg data. The ibg graph shows speeds that agree with the

data being displayed in the ImgBurn during the write. I don't think I would be able to repeat

the failure, however I have the iso file and could retry it if that would help. I have enclosed

the log and an ibg image. Any ideas?

Thanks,

rcubed

P.S.

For some reason I get an "Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload a file with that file extension."

message when I attempt to attach the IBG data file?

Example.logpost-120-1156930903_thumb.jpg

The one in the log is averaged over 10 seconds or so, whereas the IBG one is a point sample at 100ms intervals.

If you uncheck the 'Averaged' button in DIP, you might see the line start to go slightly mad. Move the 'Shift Sampled Position' sider for extra effect. That could account for the differences. If one sample misses a write of 32 sectors on both ends, the one in the middle may have 64 more. Sampling at that rate means 64 sectors is actually quite a lot and so the speeds can jump around all over the place.

I've fixed the IBG upload problem now so feel free to post it.

btw, do your screenshots as png file, they look much better than jpg ones.

Hmm working through the logic, the time taken for the actual burn is the difference between the 'Writing Image...' and 'Synchronising Cache...' log entries.

I 04:33:42 Writing Image...

I 04:39:48 Synchronising Cache...

So I make that 6 mins, 6 seconds = 366 seconds.

The image is 4,681,463,808 bytes.

4,681,463,808 / 366 = 12,790,884.72 bytes per second.

12,790,884.72 / 1024 = 12,491.09 KB/s

1x DVD write speed = 1,385 KB/s, making this ~9.0x.

So give or take a little, the average speed value is actually ok.

The code states that the max speed can't be lower than the average speed. For that reason, it gets set to the value of average speed - that's why they're exactly the same number (which would be rare otherwise).

Looking at those figures, I honestly have no idea where the issue is right now, sorry!

Thanks LUK.

Just found it interesting. I've included two pngs of the sampled(off) version of the ibg file

and will include the IBG data file just in case it might be of use to you. I've included two one at 1 and one at

8. I chose the jpg over the png due to file size the last time I posted (a carry over habit from when I used

to have to put up with dial up <_< - now it's cable :thumbup: ) , this time I'll do the png version. The

unsampled version appears to show kind of a sin wave that appears to peak at 8.5. Don't see any large spikes.

If I remember correctly the down spikes on the speed graph are when the drive is adjusting the burn speed

based on when the media profile indicates a speed change is appropriate (is that correct?). Also may be PowerRec getting involved?

BTW what exactly does the slider do? Is it something like looking at individual points (sets) in the IBG data file? I've never looked too carefully at the actual IBG data file.

Thanks again for your time and effort, and again for a gread piece of software (!) (!) (!) (!)

Oops, can't do 2 PNGs and IBG file. I append another post with IBG file in it.

rcubed

post-120-1156974902_thumb.pngpost-120-1156974942_thumb.png

rcubed,

Are you clicking on the little picture of the camera (actually on the DIP screen) when you take a screenshot?! There's no way those pictures are true png images, it's all blurry around the text and the graphs look blurry too.

That 2nd jpeg turned png of yours is over 400k but as a png it's about 90k! (See attached - and notice how much clearer it looks)

As you say, the IBG doesn't show anything too weird, not even when sampled.

I'm at a loss, sorry. The numbers all add up but it just doesn't make any sense!

dip_png.png

LUK,

Yes they were png files, but I got them by saving a jpg, importing to paint and saving as png. My fault for not paying attention to the drop down menu in DVDInfoPro :whistling::blush: . I'll take note an do it right the next time. My excuse was it was late my time. :/

Thanks for your time and trouble. I guess it will remain one of life's little mysteries.

The up side is the burn went ok otherwise.

Thanks again,

rucbed

Sorry the late hour for me was actually the first post. Yesterday's was in the PM (a more normal hour). I guess I'll change the plea to loss of sleep :wacko:

Edited by rcubed

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.