ImgBurn on Linux

wild77

Anyone else try ImgBurn using wine on Linux? I finally have it working on Ubuntu, there are some minor issues on my end. I am still testing but it looks good so far!

Removed links

Edited by wild77

There is an error when I try to open any of your screenshots.
I have the images posted at a free site with limited bandwidth per/hr.

Are you able to burn discs (CDs and DVDs) and generating ISO files flawlessly?

The last movie I ran all the way from the rip, ISO creation then burn all in linux using ImgBurn and it's predecessor. After running the movie through DVD Info's read test all looks well and the movie plays great.

I am still tweaking the set-up and look to improve it.

Hmm why isn't the device buffer registering any value?

Is that normal?

Good question, I dont know why the buffer does not register, but I would guess it has to do with my wine configuration not your program! Also when building a dual layer ISO's the layer break icons do not show up.There are also a couple of other warnings I get and will post some time.

I still use Windows for all my DVD work, but have really become interested in Linux lately as a learning tool.

The way I see it even if I screw up I can start over with a new install and it is hard to beat the price!

Thanks for the great programs!

Here are some more screenshots including warnings. There is also a DVD Info graph of the completed burn.

This message comes up before building the ISO, I just click OK and it seems to work fine.

http://www.geocities.com/wildchild776977/Screenshot-1.png

This one comes right before the burn, I click Ignore and ImgBurn goes to work.

http://www.geocities.com/wildchild776977/Screenshot-4.png

DVD Info scan

http://www.geocities.com/wildchild776977/imgLinux2.JPG

Here is a PI/PO scan from PlexTools

http://www.geocities.com/wildchild776977/plexScan.JPG

Just finished watching the movie and it looked fine it was done using DVD Rebuilder(free version) with the HC encoder in Linux. I have not been able to get my Pro version of Rebuilder to work due to the registration key (i think) Will be trying to run CinemaCraft Encoder soon.

Ever thought of developing ImgBurn for the Linux OS?

I know the only thing keeping me from dumping Windows, are all the great DVD programs. The same thing stopping Linux from being more popular. Plus the fact it takes a lot more work to set-up and learn.

Any input from the knowledgeable people here would be much appreciated. Have a great day. I worked all night and it's time to crash!

The answer to the development question is the same as when it was asked about dvddec...Not even a slim chance of it happening. You can get these things to run via WINE but it takes a lot of tweaking. Depending on what distro you use of linux will set the level of difficulty to setup and run. I prefer using slackware/debian although I have used freeBSD on and off. Have you tried using lindows or something of that ilk?

You can get these things to run via WINE but it takes a lot of tweaking.

That's for sure! I am running Ubuntu Dapper Drake and the only way I was able to get wine set-up was with the use of wine tools.There is definately a steep learning curve in setting up LInux, but I have found lots of help on the Linux Forums.

my latest project

http://www.geocities.com/wildchild776977/00002.jpg

Here is a link to all the programs I have been working on getting right in Linux

http://www.dvdhounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=865

Edited by wild77

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I am unable to get ImgBurn to recognize my DVD writer. How can I go about doing this? I do a search for SCSI / ATAPI devices, and it returns my standard DVD drive, but it will not read my writer. I am using ubuntu, and wine seems to work fine otherwise. Any suggestions please?

Wine has to 'publish' your drives, if it doesn't do that properly then they won't be available for use within ImgBurn.

This is NOT an ImgBurn issue, it's a Wine issue.

You need to go into the Wine configuration area and click the 'AutoDetect' button so your drives list gets populated properly with the correct number of 'cdrom' devices.

Wine has to 'publish' your drives, if it doesn't do that properly then they won't be available for use within ImgBurn.

This is NOT an ImgBurn issue, it's a Wine issue.

You need to go into the Wine configuration area and click the 'AutoDetect' button so your drives list gets populated properly with the correct number of 'cdrom' devices.

I see what you are talking about, but it is not working for some strange reason.

I go to the wine configuration, click drives, and it is not there. I click autodetect, and it appears,

Awesome? No! I hit apply but it wont save it. When I try to load imgburn again, it doesnt find it, and when I enter the wine configuration again, it does not appear. I autodetect again, it appears, and I go through the same process.

Okay I solved it. But I dont like it, lol.

I have to keep the wine configuration open after autodetecting, so that the drive is readable by imgburn. You must be careful to keep it open the entire time.

I thought I was great when it detected the DVD writer, but while writing to disk, I decided to close the configuration, and it stopped reading my drive, and I lost the burn. I tried again while keeping the configuration open the entire time, and it worked wonderfully. I think this is strange, but I can live with it, lol.

• 4 months later...
Okay I solved it. But I dont like it, lol.

I have to keep the wine configuration open after autodetecting, so that the drive is readable by imgburn. You must be careful to keep it open the entire time.

I thought I was great when it detected the DVD writer, but while writing to disk, I decided to close the configuration, and it stopped reading my drive, and I lost the burn. I tried again while keeping the configuration open the entire time, and it worked wonderfully. I think this is strange, but I can live with it, lol.

I was looking for a solution too and came across this thread and it worked for me too!!!! :) i change it from spti to aspi and problem is solved

• 3 weeks later...

As soon as I get a new stack of blanks that are actually worth a damn I've got about 30 to 40 ISOs I need to burn along with several dozen gigs of files to back up. All of these reside on my Debian/Ubuntu and OpenSuse boxes. Is there any thing in particular you would like us to watch for? Any feed back other then "yay! it worked" you'd like to know about?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.