problem with DVD+R

jetlee

I 23:38:42 ImgBurn Version 2.5.7.0 started!

I 23:38:42 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 23:38:42 Total Physical Memory: 514,800 KB - Available: 81,044 KB

W 23:38:42 Drive L:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.<============!!!!!!!

I 23:38:43 Initialising SPTI...

I 23:38:43 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 23:38:44 -> Drive 1 - Info: LITE-ON COMBO SOHC-4832K OTK1 (M:) (ATA)

I 23:38:44 Found 1 DVD-ROM/CD-RW!

i need at least 2.7 GB of space for an image burn and all i could find was DVD+R 4.7 GB disks..............thank ye kindly

if not where would could i look to make that investment?

At any shop/website that sells computer bits. You just need to buy a new DVD burner. As yours is old and IDE, I'll assume your machine is quite old too and that you'd need to find another IDE one (rather than SATA) - that makes things a little harder because they don't really still make IDE drives (you won't be able to get the latest and greatest).

You can't magically add support for something the hardware wasn't designed for.

I've only ever known of 1 drive to have a firmware update to enable burning a different format of disc, but it could already burn DVD-R and was just adding support for DVD+R (or vice versa). I've never seen a firmware to enable DVD burning on a CD writer.

Buy yourself a new DVD burner.

If it's an image and you want it to work (run), no.

ISO images are meant for burning to a single, empty disc (of the correct size).

If it's just some (smaller) stuff you want to backup, yes you could probably split it up into 690MB chunks and spread it over a few CDs.

But in that case, have you considered using a USB stick or external hard drive instead?

That all depends on where in the world you are. :)

Here in the UK, I can pick up a new 'SATA' DVD burner for as little as £12.

To replace your current drive, you'd need an 'IDE' DVD burner rather than an 'SATA' one.... they use a different connector (Google IDE/SATA).

IDE drives are all but phased out now and so are getting harder and harder to find. That said, I'm sure eBay would have some. If you're in the US, try places like Newegg, Frys, PCWorld or whatever else you have over there that sells computer bits.

Yes, you'd take out your old CD burner and put the new DVD burner in its place.

It's just a case of taking the lid off your PC, undoing a few (probably 4) screws, unplugging a couple of cables, sliding out the old drive, sliding in the new drive, plugging in a couple of cables, doing up a few screws, putting the lid back on.

There's bound to be a video of someone doing it on Youtube if you get stuck or are worried about it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.