ISO 9660 or Joliet or UDF?

Mike99

I burned some DVD data discs which contained photos in a single folder. When playing on a DVD player only the first 8 characters of the folder name appear. However when burning the same folder using Windows 7 the whole folder name appears. I’m presuming this is related to the ISO 9660 & UDF & Joliet disc formats.

This thread says not to use UDF + ISO 9660 level 1 for data discs.

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=11599

Yet UDF + ISO 9660 level 1 come up as the default for DVD data discs? Am I misinterpreting something?

This Microsoft website also has some information.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa364836%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

It says ISO 9660 level 1 uses 8.3 character format & level 2 permits longer file names. And that Joliet also recognizes long file names. But when do you use Joliet vs. level 2 for longer file names? And if UDF recognizes longer file names then how come ISO 9660 level 1 + UDF does not display the longer file name of my folder?

I’m confused what to use for DVD data discs with photos to be viewed with a computer (PC or MAC) and also with DVD player. Should I just all 3 formats? Is that what Windows 7 uses? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

By reading that thread, you've taken the advice of some random person.

ISO9660 + UDF is fine for normal data discs. It's potentially only a problem when you're going to attempt to use them in some non-computer device. DVD players are very basic and not exactly flexible in what they do and how they work. You need to check the manual and see exactly what it supports for whatever it is that you want it to read.

If your player won't read UDF for anything other than a DVD Video disc, sure, it'll then have to fall back on the rubbish ISO9660 file system. If that's the case (as it appears to be here), you'd want to also include Joliet (so ISO9660 + Joliet + UDF). It can then not read UDF and (hopefully) fall back on Joliet. If that isn't supported either, it'll fall back to ISO9660.

A computer will always read UDF over Joliet and ISO9660.

Thank you for the reply & information.

I am making data discs containing jpg photos. However I would also like to be able view the photos using a DVD player.

The manual for my Panasonic Blu-ray player says it will play jpeg on BD-RE, DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD-R DL, CD-R & CD-RW. The only other thing it mentions regarding jpeg is that DVD-RAM must conform to UDF 2.0 and BD-RW must conform to UDF 2.5.

I’m also passing out copies to relatives & have no idea how they are going to view the photos. To make sure they work on as many DVD players as possible it appears I should include the Joliet file format.

When would I ever use ISO 9660 level 2?

Out of curiosity do you have any idea what Windows 7 is using? I selected their Master File System which states makes the disc compatible with DVD players, which I presumed also finalized the disc. However the disc properties indicate there is 1.15 GB Used space and 3.22 GB Free space. Since there is free space & data can be added would mean it is not finalized, but just had the session closed. Does that sound correct?

The disc burned using Imgburn has its properties stated as 1.08 GB Used space & no free space. I prefer this since I don’t want anyone writing to & possibly corrupting the disc.

I apologize for all the questions. I’m just trying to somewhat educate myself on this topic.

Thank you again.

I wouldn't bother breaking the original ISO9660 spec (using level 2 or whatever) when you've got 2 other operating systems on the disc too. Joliet is so close to ISO9660 (in design/structure), no device should have a problem supporting it and using it in preference to ISO9660.

Off the top of my head, I'm afraid I don't recall what Windows 7 uses. You could switch to Read mode in ImgBurn and it'll tell you the file systems present on the disc.

Yes, it sounds like Windows 7 has closed the session and opened another one ready for more data to be added. The disc is not finalised.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.