Crikey ! - Steve Irwin Dead ?

lfcrule1972

According to an interview with his father that aired today he will not get a State funeral. His dad said he would not have wanted one. And his mom wants the footage of his death put on the air as a warning to others. Source was Good Morning America about 8am.

That footage would be tough to watch.....

...but intriguing all the same.

Rays don't like to be approached from above, and with a cameraman in front of the ray filming them both, I can understand why the ray got spooked. Very unlucky when you think a few inches either way and he'd probably have survived.

I would like to see the footage that they say he was caught, the entire time, on camera, from attack to pulling out the barb, until he died. I don't want to appear or morbid, but, if his wife chooses to release the footage and stations choose to show it, I am curious as to the events that transpired. Because, even if we do see it, there may simply be no answer. Freak accidents just happen. Normally docile things can get pissed for no reason. Things can get afraid for no reason, too. It may have been an accident, too. That Irwin misinterpreted the action and, as a result, caused it to attack while trying to defend from what he thought was an attack.

In the end, I think there can never be an answer because there's no way we can know what was in Irwin's mind or in the "thinking" of the ray in that instant, either.

I agree, at the end of the day his time was up, although I firmly believe his lack of expertise with these animals (stingrays) brought him undone.

Very sad.

No, Brits, Aussies, Kiwis, South Africans, and Americans we all have our own slang.

I saw Trainspotting for the first time this weekend and I had a hard time understanding all of it.

Remember Bernard Shaw:

The US & UK: two nations separated by a common language.

@blu

Can you, ah, translate that into Yank? :huh:

Real sad that he will miss his beloved Aussies caning the poms to extinction in the upcoming Ashes series. :D=))

Regards

LOL! I thought I didn't get that as well because my broken english :P

According to AP reports, the Queensland cops say that he wasn't annoying or provoking the animal.

And it was a bull ray, apparently the biggest kind. It's barb is much bigger than the smaller species, being about 4 inches long (according to the head of the largest aquarium in the US which is in Atlanta). So it's not much different than having a four inch dagger jabbed into your heart.

Apparently, one of his ventricles was destroyed and there was simply nothing that could be

done.

-----

I doubt we'll ever see the video footage. His manager wants it destroyed.

Ultimately, it'll be his wife's decision. Unless some asshole gets ahold of the tape and sells it to a tabloid show/newspaper.

Personally, I don't think it should be shown. Other than trauma surgeons or ER docs, I don't really see the value (of its being seen).

Of course, opinions'll vary.

I would like to see the footage that they say he was caught, the entire time, on camera, from attack to pulling out the barb, until he died. I don't want to appear or morbid, but, if his wife chooses to release the footage and stations choose to show it, I am curious as to the events that transpired. Because, even if we do see it, there may simply be no answer. Freak accidents just happen. Normally docile things can get pissed for no reason. Things can get afraid for no reason, too. It may have been an accident, too. That Irwin misinterpreted the action and, as a result, caused it to attack while trying to defend from what he thought was an attack.

In the end, I think there can never be an answer because there's no way we can know what was in Irwin's mind or in the "thinking" of the ray in that instant, either.

Edited by Pain_Man

• 1 month later...

Wow... just amazing...

Wednesday, in Florida, an 81 year old man was apparently stabbed in the chest by a stingray... OUT of the water! :o

It seems that a boat struck a stingray in the water, flinging it out of the water and onto the chest of a man on the boat. The stinger also stabbed him, yep, you guessed it, right in the heart! :blink:

Steve Irwin may be able to rest better knowing that his unfortunate accident might very well have saved another man's life. This victim did not remove the stinger, waiting for medical help to do so. Now, whether the victim here did that for the reasons that he knew killed Irwin cannot be said yet. If ever. But, by leaving the stinger in his heart for medical personel to surgically removed, it saved his life. They went in and pushed the stinger out by basically continuing the same direction of penetration. By pushing from the opposite direction of Irwin, i.e. by not pulling out the stinger put pushing it on the rest of the way through and out the opposite end of the heat, it prevented the stinger's barbs from latching onto flesh and pulling out any tissue. This reduced the amount of damage to the heart, which was also clean breaks in the tissue and far easier to repair, which was what fatally wounded Irwin.

According to AP reports, the Queensland cops say that he wasn't annoying or provoking the animal.

like they know what pisses off a sting ray. like the nut that had the show on TV she was an animal phycologist yeah right anyone want to buy a bridge? :lol:

Er, yeah. That is the best way to remove an arrow. Dont ask how I know, lets just say my dad is a shit shot with a bow and arrow.bowandarrowvd9.gif I dont think my brother has forgiven him yet!!! "Bloody kids!! Why didnt he stand still instead of running around all the time!!!" :o

Edited by jack

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.