Volume Identifiers

FireStarter

Under the tab Labels I can create data for the Volume Identifiers:

• System
  • Volume Set
  • Publisher
  • Data Preparer
  • Application

I am trying to retrieve that information after burning a media. Not much success since i do not find a tool to read these identifiers. Even ImgBurn doesn't seem to show them in read mode.

PlexTools is showing at least the Publisher entry. But thats it.

How do I retrieve these data again?

I read this before but no 'hint' is shown above the 'Label'-label.

I get a hint only for 'Imp ID:' and 'File Sys:'

Edit:

Oh - I see - It is not the label named 'Label:' but the disc specific label.

I am pretty sure that i used the 'System Identifier' - but there us written 'Unknown'.

I have to do some tests again.

Is there a way to retrieve these data not only visible in a hint but also able to copy them somewhere? (commandline or something similar?)

I tested again - in the log file is written:

I 11:41:29 Operation Started!

I 11:41:30 Source Device: [0:2:0] PLEXTOR BD-R PX-LB950SA 1.06 (Y:) (ATAPI)

I 11:41:30 Source Media Type: DVD-RW (Book Type: DVD-RW) (Disc ID: MCC 01RW4X)

I 11:41:30 Source Media Supported Write Speeds: 4x

I 11:41:30 Image File: -==/\/[bUILD IMAGE]\/\==-

I 11:41:30 Image File Sectors: 238.704 (MODE1/2048)

I 11:41:30 Image File Size: 488.865.792 bytes

I 11:41:30 Image File Volume Identifier: UNDEFINED

I 11:41:30 Image File Volume Set Identifier: 418A5C9C0003A430

I 11:41:30 Image File Application Identifier: Test_Application

I 11:41:30 Image File Implementation Identifier: ImgBurn

I 11:41:30 Image File File System(s): UDF (2.50)

I set all 5 volume identifiers. The hint is showing me only 'Test_Application' - all the others are 'unknown'.

Some fields may not apply to the file system(s) you've got on the disc

So it depends also on the file system of the disc?

Since I know that while testing yesterday I could retrieve the publisher string with PlexTools but today it was empty. (both times it was a DVD-RW).

If i see something like

I 11:41:30 Image File Application Identifier: Test_Application

in the log file can I be sure that it was written to the disc (since the program know which data is fitting to the used file format) or does it only mean that ImgBurn tried to write it?

I burnt a DVD (UDF 2.50) and was setting for all 5 entries the string 'Plextor PX-LB950SA 1.07 4x'

Only the application Volume Identifier was written. And altough ImgBurn tells me that i can use 128 chars only ''Plextor PX-LB950SA 1.07' was written (perhaps still one space more).

When I try to write '4x Plextor PX-LB950SA 1.07' then '4x Plextor PX-LB950SA 1' is written.

Is it limited to 23 chars or is this a bug? And if it is limited to 23 why ImgBurn tells me x/128 chars used?

In the log file the '4x' at the end of the string was not mentioned. So I assume, that ImgBurn removed it.

• 10 years later...

I think your software got the fields backwards. I read in the UDF standard that the 'Volume Identifier' has a maximum length of 32 characters and it's actually the 'Volume Set Identifier' that get's the recommended maximum length of 128 characters.

Not that this matters all that much to me. Because I would rather get 128 characters for the 'Volume Identifier' as I never even really use the 'Volume Set Identifier' when authoring my discs. It's just something I realized today when reading over the standard. Your software has the names backwards but that's a good thing.

Anyhoo, looking forward to the next release of this software, if it ever happens. 

You think wrong :)

Yes, the 'volume identifier' in the PVD is only 32 bytes, but that isn't the one any implementation reads from.

The ones that get read are the (logical) volume identifier's in the LVD and FSD. They're 128 bytes.

Sometimes it's possible to be too exact with the naming of things in a gui (when using naming from a spec) and so I opted to drop the 'logical' from the name, leaving us with 'Volume Identifier'.

Volume set identifier is something totally different. That's 128 bytes too. Read 2.2.2.5 in the UDF 2.50 specs again.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.