Lightscribe DVD Drive

Copnm

Hello ImgBurn family,

I've posted in another subforum about a week ago with no reply, so I'm copying it over to this subforum. Hopefully I'll get a reply this time...

I'd like to know a few things:

1) Which DVD drive offers the best overall burns, meaning low PIEs and PIFs, as well as has Lightscribe technology?

2) Do drives without Lightscribe/LabelFlash technologies usually have better burn quality than those that do?

3) What role does cache play? Is that only for the firmware?

4) Is the Sony Optiarc 5280S-CB-PLUS any good? Does Lightning UK prefers Optiarc drives? If so, I could use the Sony as my main burner and use the LiteOn iHAS424 for a backup burner and for using Lightscribe.

5) Is SmartErase being worked on?

For the record, I ALWAYS use Verbatim Media, MCC 03RG20 and MKM-003-00. I currently am using a LiteOn iHAS424 with B GL1B firmware.

Thanks for reading,

Neil M

Edited by Copnm

And again Adrianvdh, you reply to something you know nothing about. This is why you've topped my 'Most annoying member' list since the very first day you signed up here.

1. This is something you should research yourself. It all depends on which media and speeds you intend to use. Some drives will do a better job than others on a given media at a given speed. Look in the drive testing forum and browse the MyCE forums to make your own mind up.

2. They shouldn't do, no.

3. Cache is the buffer that data gets put into when software sends it to the drive and before the drive has actually written it to the disc. When the cache/buffer empties out, the burner has to pause for a while and wait until it gets more data. Back in the old days (pre 'Burnproof' type technology), that would be an instant coaster. New drives don't have that problem - hence the reason for drives being released with less and less cache these days.

4. Yes, the CB-PLUS/CB-ROBOT drives are nice (and they overburn straight out of the box). In recent years, Optiarc drives have been my 'go to' drives if someone wants a decent all-rounder. One of the main things going for LiteOn drives is that they can scan (aka PIE/PIF or PIPO) discs nicely. Optiarc drives can do it too, but I have less faith in what they report - but that could just be me being used to using LiteOn's for the task.

5. Worked on in what way? Making the broken function in 2.5.7.0 work?! Yes, that was looked at soon after that 2.5.7.0 release. That's not to say it's perfect but it should at least do the job. I probably shouldn't have even bothered with it in the first place, I expect you're the only person in the world that actually cares about it.

Thanks for your quick response, Lightning UK!

Following up on your replies:

1) From your posts, I guess I'll determine which drive has the best overall burn for my media type.

2) Thanks.

3) I understand, thanks.

4) Maybe I should do a test using 2 different sizes of data (including overburn), using both DVD-R and DVD+R DL, and see which one gives me overall better burns. :king: I've been using an Optiarc prior to this Lite-On and I've never had any issues with it. Of course, back then, I didn't check the quality of the burns. :)

5) I guess I should have said "implemented correctly". Maybe I am the only one who cares about this function. When I bought my burner, I saw that the Lite-On had this function and that it was in ImgBurn, which looked interesting, but it didn't work using ImgBurn.

Thanks again for your responses, Lightning UK. I appreciate them. Hope to hear your responses soon.

And oh! I think Adrianvdh looks up to you...in a weird, childish way. Maybe you can be his sensei/mentor? Lol.

Thanks for reading,

Neil M

Edited by Copnm

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.