Making and sharing optimum DL DVDs

rbowser

I did some searching on this, and have some info, but am still not positive about the best thing to do.

I have a video of a play production and want to share it with the cast and crew. I've produced the video and have DVD folders burned from my video editing program. Each Act is in its own DVD folder, and each one is just under 6 gigs in size, so these are obviously to be on DL discs.

I want to share the video(s) via ISO files that I can park in my online storage where people can downlad them.

Act One example: The DVD folder is 5.84 gigs. When I make an ISO as per the directions, I get an ISO which is 7.72 gigs - substanially larger. I see that this has been discussed, ISOs ending up larger than the DVD folders they're supposed to be direct images of.

I found the info on how to go into advanced settings in ImgBurn and paste the Media Capacity figure into the Max Sectors to get an ISO which is much closer to the original DVD size. Fine, I cooked up an ISO that way, and it's exactly the same size - 5.84. With both the large and the smaller ISOs, I selected the same layer break position.

What I didn't understand in the post I got the info from, is that it said forcing ImgBurn to make the smallest ISO possible is only advisable for files that are going to only be used on a computer - that something would get messed up with the layer break position if this smaller ISO was burned to disc.-- I don't get that.--

Since I'm going to have people downloading the ISOs, it's obviously better if I can keep the size down.

Will there actually be a problem if I use that smaller ISO for what I've outlined here?

Hope I was clear - I'll watch for responses. Thanks.

rbowser

Edited by rbowser

Create the ISO normally (with default media sizes) and then just zip them up.

The blank space (padding) at the start of the image will vanish due to the compression - giving you the best of both worlds.

HEy - great - Sure appreciate the speedy response. That sounds fine, thanks.

rbowser

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.