Cannot burn CD-Rs in Asus Blu Ray drive

JimmyW

I have an Asus BW-12B1ST Blu Ray SATA drive, firmware 1.03 (no updates available), in which I am trying to burn CD-R discs.  I attached the log, but every burn project fails.  I aborted verification after the first few errors.  I'm using generic CD-R discs.  I can burn CD-Rs in a standard DVD drive in the same machine withou tany problems.  Thanks for any help that you can offer. 

ImgBurn.log

How is your drive connected to the motherboard? Which controller?

Right click on drive selection box and select Family Tree, click OK on prompt, copy & paste here the Family Tree from the log.

It should be connected to a port that is controlled by the motherboard chipset not some third party controller. It was observed that optical drives don't always play nice with third party controllers.

Thanks.  The drive is connected to a MB controller.  This is the Family Tree data:

I 08:29:49 Device: [1:0:0] ASUS BW-12B1ST 1.03 (S:) (SAS)
I 08:29:49 Family Tree:
I 08:29:49 -> ACPI x64-based PC
I 08:29:49 -> Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
I 08:29:49 -> PCI bus
I 08:29:49 -> Intel® Xeon® Processor E5 Product Family/Core i7 IIO PCI Express Root Port 1a - 3C02 (VEN_8086&DEV_3C02 - Intel - pci)
I 08:29:49 -> Intel® C608/C606/X79 chipset PCI Express Upstream Port - 1D74 (VEN_8086&DEV_1D74 - Intel - pci)
I 08:29:49 -> Intel® C608/C606/X79 chipset Virtual Switch Port - 1D3F (VEN_8086&DEV_1D3F - Intel - pci)
I 08:29:49 -> Intel® C600 Series Chipset SAS RAID (SATA mode) (VEN_8086&DEV_1D6A - Intel - iaStorS)
I 08:29:49 -> CD-ROM Drive (ASUS BW-12B1ST SCSI CdRom Device) (Bus Number 0, Target Id 0, LUN 0)

I 16:08:46 Destination Media Type: CD-R (Disc ID: 97m17s06f, Moser Baer India)

I 16:08:46 Destination Media Supported Write Speeds: 16x, 24x, 32x, 40x, 48x

I 16:08:46 Write Speed: MAX

Sorry for late reply.

Try all the speeds the availabale.

Try better discs, Taiyo Yuden are recommended.

Thanks very much.  I tried a number of speeds down to 16x, and each failed.  I switched CD brands (can't get Taiyo Yuden at the moment), and the other brand failed.  I also tried a DVD, which  failed, and the log for that operation is attached.  I'm starting toi think that I have a bad drive. 

ImgBurn.log

• 2 weeks later...

I'll bump this thread to report that I have the same problems with a new, Lite-On Blu Ray drive.  I tried a CD-R at 8x, and attached the log and a family tree screenshot.  I also tried t burn a CD-R with Nero, and that process failed during verification. The files on the disc were corrupt in both cases.  I'm going to switch the data cable to different SATA port to see whether that helps, or try a new cable.  Another SATA optical drive in the same machine works fine. 

post-51937-0-63703500-1363296299_thumb.jpg

ImgBurn.log

In both writers ?

All I can see in the logs are the same poor media types  the CD-R (Disc ID: 97m17s06f, Moser Baer India)  DVD-R (Book Type: DVD-R) (Disc ID: MBI 01RG40)

Have you tried another sata port yet ?  Or maybe try with a sata to usb adapter if you've got one, on either or both drives. if you still get failures in the same manner you definitely need to try some decent media

I tried some different media in both drives, although the media may not be the best available.  I've used that media in many other burners, though not in Blu Rays. I swapped SATA cables and ports with both burners.  Neither of the drives is recognized through a SATA-to-USB converter or through eSATA.  I also tried to connect them to a SATA RAID controller, but the drive is not recognized.  I can read media fine in both drives; just can't burn. 

I have all kinds of adapters, complete with power.  The drive connects to an adapter by SATA, and the adapter to the machine with USB 2.0.

But you are powering it with 1.5 A  > 2A psu and you have tried the motherboard usb ports and not just the front bay ones yeah ?

^ should not matter unless the usb front case ports are wired up wrong to the motherboard and give no interface when devices connected. So if you try them in the rear usb ports of mobo is it still the same ?. But as you are saying your HDD devices / usb flash pens etc are usually picked up via the same usb ports then it should not matter but just sometimes it does.

I have loads of sata to usb converters/ adapters / odd devices(dvd writers etc) not all of them work with chipsets on mobos EG sometimes device will not be recognised via operating system on a specific set of usb ports which is why I'll change usb port to rear mobo ports and most times it's still the  same but then I would change the sata to usb adapter bridge for a different one with a different chipset or try it on another computer at least.

Thanks.  I installed the Lite-On drive in a different system, which has an Intel S5520SC board, the the drive seems to work fine.  Perhaps there was some type of conflict between the drive and the S2600COE MB. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.