Poll

Shamus_McFartfinger

32 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have 4gigs of RAM in your PC?

• Yes
    • No

Me.

Well, as soon as my damn SCSI card finally turns up from the US I will! It's holding up my new PC build :(

Can I ask what sort of hardware you're putting into this beasty and what it'll be used for? 4gigs is a hell of alot of RAM for a PC. At least it is at the moment. :)

6700 conroe

Intel 975xbx board

4gb g.skill hz 6400 ddr2 ram

ati 7900xt

dell perc 4e/dc (320/2e) scsi card

4x 73gb atlas 10k rpm scsi drives (1x raid 0, then 2 individual drives)

4x 500gb wd 7.2k rpm RE2 sata drives (2x raid 0)

It'll be my new main (server type) machine so I'll use it for everything I do.

6700 conroe

Intel 975xbx board

4gb g.skill hz 6400 ddr2 ram

ati 7900xt

dell perc 4e/dc (320/2e) scsi card

4x 73gb atlas 10k rpm scsi drives (1x raid 0, then 2 individual drives)

4x 500gb wd 7.2k rpm RE2 sata drives (2x raid 0)

It'll be my new main (server type) machine so I'll use it for everything I do.

Impressive little beasty. What are the scsi drives for? I assume the scsi raid set will be for the forum?

scsi raid will be the OS install drives + apps etc. The rest are where I put all my junk!

The forum etc aren't on this box.

With IE7, I can quite easily run out of RAM (current have 2gb in my pc) after opening 30 odd tabs (with other programs running too of course)!

I've seen it a few times where context menus fail to function etc. That's when I know I have to close things down!

I may have a little play around overclocking it, yes. :)

:blink::blink: Did you win the lottery or something? =)) Those are similar specs to what I want my new machine to be (with a custom aluminium frame and stainless steel glass blasted panels with 15" touch screen on the side :D - with custom water cooling made by me :biggrindance:). [edit]I have some portability in mind - with a handle welded on at the top.[/edit] Edited by JasonFriday13

scsi raid will be the OS install drives + apps etc. The rest are where I put all my junk!

The forum etc aren't on this box.

With IE7, I can quite easily run out of RAM (current have 2gb in my pc) after opening 30 odd tabs (with other programs running too of course)!

I've seen it a few times where context menus fail to function etc. That's when I know I have to close things down!

I may have a little play around overclocking it, yes. :)

Now you've got me curious. If the scsi raid will be the boot drive (and a fast bastard at that), what are the other 2 scsi drives going to be for? Fooking expensive (and tiny) drives to be putting junk onto. ;) I suppose they'd be great for your source code perhaps? Y'know, for fast compiling times etc?

4gigs is still a bucketload of RAM. Ever thought about using something like Opera or Firefox which aren't so memory hungry? Still, it sounds like it's going to be one hell of a machine. What case have you decided on?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.