booktyping and drive questions

RedSpy

This question is regarding the guide on booktyping here:

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=9992

It says:

NOTE: Many drives are factory set to booktype dvd+r dl media to dvd-rom. ImgBurn (by default) will booktype to dvd-rom on these 'supported' drives. Also there are a few drives which aren't capable of booktyping/bitsetting at all out of the box...Pioneer drives being one make.

How do I find out which drives are factory set to booktype? Is there a list somewhere? Also, my drive info says Slimtype DVD A  DS8A5SH XAA2 (E:) (ATAPI). I don't see Slimtype anywhere in the booktyping settings. How do I find out what brand it is? Also, what is OEM drive? How do I know if I have an OEM drive or not?

Thank you.

Ok. Thank you. I will try burning just as is and if it doesn't for whatever reason, I'll set the booktype manually. But I was also wondering...

What advantages are there (if any) for using one drive over another? Are certain drives less error prone than others? Can one drive produce a more stable successful burn than another? Or are all successful burns created equal? I have 1 desktop computer and 3 laptops I can use.

- Info: SONY DVD RW DRU-V204A 1.60 (D:) (ATA)    [Custom AMD Desktop]

- Info: Slimtype DVD A  DS8A5SH XAA2 (E:) (ATAPI)     [Crappy Asus Laptop]

- Info: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8D1 L.01 (D:) (SATA)     [brand New Samsung Laptop]

- Info: TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-U633A AC01 (D:) (ATAPI)     [Acer Laptop w/ Busted Screen]

Which would be the ideal one of the bunch to do the burning? (I will be using only Singapore made Verbatim DVD+R and DVD+R DL! :))

Also, going off the picture in the same booktyping guide, is it correct to assume that TSSTcorp = Samsung? And which is the SONY and MATSHITA? And are any of them OEM drives and/or do I need to worry about the advanced button where I 'add the OEM drive in a table'?

Thanks for helping a clueless newbie and making a kick-ass program for burning video DVDs! (though I don't understand most of the stuff in the settings lol)

Lightning? any insight?

I tried clicking on all the brands for each drive... For the MATSHITA, it gives "DVD+R" when I choose NuTech and it gives "Unknown (FAILED)" for everything else so it seems that MATSHITA is NuTech.

Did same thing for SONY and it appears that it's a NEC.

But the TSSTCorp is a little odd. Just like the image below Step 4 in the booktyping guide it says "Unknown (No way to query current setting!)" when I select Samsung. But it also says "DVD+R" and doesn't say "Unknown (FAILED)" when I select NuTech. Is it Samsung or NuTech?

3edc13245991262.jpg 8cd4ed245991263.jpg

Am I correct in assuming that all my drives are OEM since names are different from the drive brand?

Which would you recommend I do all my burning with?

Sorry for so many questions. I'm just really OCD. :-)

Edited by RedSpy

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.